What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Jan 27, 2020
Because advanced tech will only garner so much. I enjoy better color, better skin tones, better glass, better ergonomics, better software/menus, better customer care and weather sealing. It's a total package which transcends DR.

I know this is a big generalization, but I think you can categorize the Sony fans and switchers as being mostly gear-heads. They refer to "new tech" or the "latest tech" as if cameras were a new technology that is evolving quickly. In reality, there has been virtually no difference in the last 2 or 3 generation of anyone's cameras in terms of IQ - and only minor slow changes in other areas. But gear-heads are interested in having the latest - almost a need to have the latest. Whether they actually believe that the latest tech will be visible in their photography, I can't say. Whether they are most interested in boasting to others who don't have the latest is also a possibility, in my opinion.

The other non gear-head group (probably a minority on internet forums from what I can tell) would be mostly interested in exactly the things you mention. They don't compare specs from the various brands, they look at what is most important to them. They interpret value - not as which camera has the most specs, but the overall quality of the product. The first group looks at Sony and constantly says, " I get more value for the price." I would respond that having better color is not an additional spec item, but is more important. All cameras have ergonomics, so it's even on the spec sheet, but clearly not even in practice. The same for the other items you mention.

I think camera companies are not too concerned with switchers. They make a lot of noise on forums, but camera companies are more interested in serious photographers. People who are in it for the long haul. People who aren't looking for a tech gadget, but a tool as part of their photo equipment. And that means lenses - which you can use for a lifetime, where the camera's lifespan is probably 7-10 at the most.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Because advanced tech will only garner so much. I enjoy better color, better skin tones, better glass, better ergonomics, better software/menus, better customer care and weather sealing. It's a total package which transcends DR.

It's not about the dynamic range only, it's about having a new gear. Everyone values different things in the camera specs. For me, 61Mp and higher DR were very tempting but not enough to switch. I also have a GAS but I'm holding it under control and been waiting since 2018, a little bit too long.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Given two sensors with nearly identical pixel density....

30MP Canon EOS R / 5D4 on 400mm lens = effective 400mm reach

32MP Canon 90D on 400mm lens = effective 640mm reach

These sensors are vastly different pixel density. :oops:

The Canon EOS R/5DIV cameras have 30MP with a FF (32mm x 24mm) sensor size
The Canon EOS 90D camera has 32MP with a APS-C (22mm x 15mm) sensor size.
The Canon 90D is a 1.6x crop sensor. Meaning the FF sensors are 2.56 times the surface area.

That's why I am keen for a R5 to be between 40 and 70MP in resolution, because it gives a good amount of "cropability". ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

The Canon 90D is a 1.6x crop sensor. Meaning the FF sensors are 2.56 times the surface area.

That's why I am keen for a R5 to be between 40 and 70MP in resolution, because it gives a good amount of "cropability". ;)
I said pixel density. I should have said pixel count. We are putting the same amount of resolution into a crop area as a 35mm area, which increases effective reach with highly similar/ near identical pixel resolutions

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Part of my obsession is that some of the EF glass is pretty old: do I spend $100 to use a $350 EF 50mm F/1.4 that was released in 1993? The 1.2 was released in 2006 -- I don't have one and I've resisted temptation because I was hoping something with faster AF would emerge for RF.
I reckon Sigma wouldn't be too far away from releasing some nice 1.4 primes for RF.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I said pixel density. I should have said pixel count. We are putting the same amount of resolution into a crop area as a 35mm area, which increases effective reach with highly similar/ near identical pixel resolutions

Precisely, that's why I wrote, so others reading would not get confused. :)

I certainly appreciate high pixel dense sensors, for the reason that it provides an effective way to have sufficient quantity of pixels to maintain image quality when cropped.

At each stage of my evolution throughout the APS-C (1.6x crop) DSLR bodies in particular, I have appreciated the increase in pixel density, going from 8MP with the 350D to 24MP in my current 80D for the same sized sensor.

I look froward to what Canon provides in the R5,. A 40-45MP FF sensor will likely do very well. and I feel a good balance. ;)

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I would put a few bucks on the R6 being 24MP with 6k/4k down conversion. I can see the temptation to reuse the 1DX3 sensor, but from a market perspective, 24MP makes a lot more sense and Canon is usually pretty sensible. It is entirely possible that a prototype of the R6 exists with the 20MP sensor simply because of development timelines, but I am thinking the shipping product will be 24MP.

Upvote 0
Looks like the upcoming R5, 100-500 and extenders will all be on display at The Photography Show in Birminghan next month:

"Exciting news! The recently announced EOS R5, RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM lens and new extenders will be making an appearance at the show. Make sure you visit our stand to get your first glimpse at the new additions to the EOS R System."

https://www.canon.co.uk/the-photography-show/

Does this mean the release date might be closer than we think?

Note that they said "glimpse".

Upvote 0
I would put a few bucks on the R6 being 24MP with 6k/4k down conversion. I can see the temptation to reuse the 1DX3 sensor, but from a market perspective, 24MP makes a lot more sense and Canon is usually pretty sensible. It is entirely possible that a prototype of the R6 exists with the 20MP sensor simply because of development timelines, but I am thinking the shipping product will be 24MP.

it would make little difference downsampling from 5.5k to 4k versus downsampling from 6k to 4k.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the R5 will be around 40-45MP - it's really not going to be 70MP in my opinion and hit 20fps. you're thinking the wrong camera.

the R5s will be over 80 and IMO possibly even over 100MP

Upvote 0