What’s next from Canon in 2020?

You mean: very slightly behind in certain Secondary metrics and light years ahead in most critical areas?

Which crucial areas do you mean? The metric in question was the DR by Potonstophotos. The 1DXIII is ahead of the A9II which is impressive, but a bit behind the A7RIV. Apart from the sensor performance, there's little to compare between 1DXIII and A7IV in other areas, as the cameras have totally different purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm not sure IBIS will ever make it into the DSLR's .. and if it does, it will be limited because of the communication limits of the EF mount.
They obviously can't make it as good as on mirrorless, and it is ineffective to use with the optical viewfinder.
But would still be a big deal to have all those EF lenses enhanced, which are still way more popular than other mounts.
I mean, if they come out with a 5D Mark V, there should be a feature to make it sell well at a high price.

But maybe the R5 sensor with Digic X coupled with the renewed AF system, faster cards and possibly an articulating screen is enough for the target audience.

Upvote 0
You mean: very slightly behind in certain Secondary metrics and light years ahead in most critical areas?
Lagging behind meaning: to fail to keep pace with others.

Which crucial areas do you mean? The metric in question was the DR by Potonstophotos. The 1DXIII is ahead of the A9II which is impressive, but a bit behind the A7RIV. Apart from the sensor performance, there's little to compare between 1DXIII and A7IV in other areas, as the cameras have totally different purposes.

It is a negligible difference and hardly noticeable in real world use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
SecureGSM said: : You mean: very slightly behind in certain Secondary metrics and light years ahead in most critical areas?
Lagging behind meaning: to fail to keep pace with others.
You said: “ Looks very promising, if R5 has a similar DR, it'll be quite satisfactory, although still lagging behind A7RIV.”
That’s R5 Compared to a7rIV though not 1DxIII
Lagging is way too strong of a word to use. It is a very slightly behind. So slightly that it makes no practical difference in photography. Although I understand that camera with 1/3 EV wider dynamic range affords one photos that were impossible to capture otherwise. It is essential. I see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I mean, if they come out with a 5D Mark V, there should be a feature to make it sell well at a high price.

I doubt they ever release 5DV. I'd be very interested to see it but I doubt. I think we've already seen all the best and the last full frame DSLRs from Canon. That's enough for smooth transition to the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I doubt they ever release 5DV. I'd be very interested to see it but I doubt. I think we've already seen all the best and the last full frame DSLRs from Canon. That's enough for smooth transition to the RF mount.
A lot of people still prefer looking the optical viewfinder (again, just look up more interviews about where they tell there is still demand for DSLRs), and the 5D is an important 'iconic' product line. They've already developed some things for the 1DX III which is not going to be their biggest seller, why would they just throw that right away.
The EOS R5 is filled up with techology, but it still does not look as durable as a 5D, so there is certainly a place for it. They just don't need to rush it, which will instantly make people think that they are killing it.
The 6D line might be coming to an end however, seeing how little the D780 has changed, they can certainly top that with a mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0
You said: “ Looks very promising, if R5 has a similar DR, it'll be quite satisfactory, although still lagging behind A7RIV.”
That’s R5 Compared to a7rIV though not 1DxIII

Yep, I'm extrapolating this new sensor design to the R5. I'm not buying 1DXIII but I really hope the R5 will be better than 5D yet with more megapixels.

Lagging is way too strong of a word to use. It is a very slightly behind. Do slightly tat it makes no practical difference in photography. Although I understand that camera with 1/3 EV wider dynamic affords one photos that were impossible able to capture otherwise. It is essential. I see.

1/3 EV isn't not good enough to make me switch to Sony. But if say R5 performs worse than 5D, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Upvote 0
A lot of people still prefer looking the optical viewfinder (again, just look up more interviews about where they tell there is still demand for DSLRs), and the 5D is an important 'iconic' product line. They've already developed some things for the 1DX III which is not going to be their biggest seller, why would they just throw that right away.

I've shot action/concerts with my 5DIV as well as landscapes, so I do like the OVF too. But because I'm shooting more landscapes and less action, I care less and less about the OVF.
At the same time nothing can prevent Canon from putting the R5's sensor and DIGIC X into 5DV and release it in 2021-2022. I just doubt they'd do that. Shrinking market, less moneyz on RnD etc.

The EOS R5 is filled up with techology, but it still does not look as durable as a 5D, so there is certainly a place for it. They just don't need to rush it, which will instantly make people think that they are killing it.

Why doesn't it look as durable as 5D? We only saw it on promo pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Why doesn't it look as durable as 5D? We only saw in on promo pictures.
Yes, that is a clear indication that is it just like the R but slightly tweaked, thicker and wider body, so don't expect 5D level of weather sealing with a fully articulated screen. Hopefully the EVF won't fog up, that was a main weakness on the R.
If they make a mirrorless camera with full weather sealing, it would be just as huge and heavy as the Panasonic S1 series.

Keeping the 5D line makes perfect sense instead of trying to force everyone on mirrorless. Just because they are not focusing on EF development anymore, it is delusional to think that it is dead, they've just released the 850D and they will keep on making entry level DSLRs as well as long as they can.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I've shot action/concerts with my 5DIV as well as landscapes, so I do like the OVF too. But because I'm shooting more landscapes and less action, I care less and less about the OVF.
At the same time nothing can prevent Canon from putting the R5's sensor and DIGIC X into 5DV and release it in 2021-2022. I just doubt they'd do that. Shrinking market, less moneyz on RnD etc.

Why doesn't it look as durable as 5D? We only saw in on promo pictures.
And maybe that's why they might introduce 5D5. The research has already been done for R5. They don't have to make anything new they can just put R5's sensor and electronics in a mirrored body.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yep, I'm extrapolating this new sensor design to the R5. I'm not buying 1DXIII but I really hope the R5 will be better than 5D yet with more megapixels.

1/3 EV isn't not good enough to make me switch to Sony. But if say R5 performs worse than 5D, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Anyone that switched brand because of a 1/3 of a stop of sensor DR advantage, deserves no respect :)

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Yes, that is a clear indication that is it just like the R but slightly tweaked
The form factor similar to the R doesn't mean the weather sealing is the same. The '5' implies the same level of quality/sealing as in 5D line.

don't expect 5D level of weather sealing with a fully articulated screen. Hopefully the EVF won't fog up, that was a main weakness on the R.

The flip screen might be a complication but if the R5 isn't weather sealed on par with the 5D, its value drops in my view. I don't want to pay $$$ for a leaking camera. 5DIV works very well in terms of weather sealing.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not sure IBIS will ever make it into the DSLR's .. and if it does, it will be limited because of the communication limits of the EF mount.
Even if at the worst case they make it work only for non IS lenses (finding them by using a lens database the way they use it for jpeg correction) it will still be useful like when using lenses like 85 1.2L, 135 2L, 24-70 2.8L I and II (to name but a few).

Upvote 0
And maybe that's why they might introduce 5D5. The research has already been done for R5. They don't have to make anything new they can just put R5's sensor and electronics in a mirrored body.

Mirrored 5DV with flip screen and better sensor would be very nice. Would I buy it when I see Canon is putting all efforts into the R line? I don't know. If they announce it right now, before the R5 release, I'd be confused. But if they ever announce it, it'll be long after the R5 release. And I'll have bought either R5 or R5s by then.
That is, the market for 5DV shrinks significantly after the R5 release.

Upvote 0