Canon Launches New Camera Cloud Platform – image.canon

I have a 6Dmark2...pretty state of the art, but terrible software!!! It has to setup a private wifi network to see photos on my tablet....and even then, I can't do much with them if they're in RAW. Also, why does running GPS make the battery run out 10x faster? It's so bad I can't use it for more than an hour or 2 without switching batteries (and I have new ones). Cloud upload and GPS are things we just take for granted with our phones.

I had that problem on my Canon 6D m1 and how I got it better was to change the setting in GPS. Change "Position update Timing" I changed it to every 2 mins from like 30 seconds. Your GPS wont be as accurate but is shouldn't be a problem if you are walking around. I use GPS to get an idea where I took picture not the excellent location.

Upvote 0
I think this will be a nice feature. It sounds like they have been listening to Tony Northrup. I don't think it will be a game changer but 30% of the time useful to me. If I go on a weekend photo adventure, it will be probably little use to me. But I i am in my backyard taking picture of my daughter and bubbles. That is where I see use for this program. I just want to look at 20-50 pictures to find those 2 Ok ones and don't want to take the time to transfer them to my computer.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Why force us to use Google for this? Does Canon want us to switch our cloud services just because it says so? Screw Canon!

It seems to me that...

1) Canon found out it would be cheaper to pay Google for the service than build it itself.

2) There are more customers who would trust Google, an established brand, than customers who would trust a new cloud from Canon. I'm on the Google side.

3) You don't have to use the service. E.g. I chose Microsoft in order to get a Cloud backup + MS Office deal.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The number of product killed by Google have their own site: https://killedbygoogle.com/

And that makes you trust a Canon cloud better than Google cloud because...?

As this is an external service, Canon could easily switch it.

Any company kills non remunerative products....

Not any company, just those with managers smart enough to keep it afloat.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Looking at this its primarily proposed as a quick way to get images into the cloud and then when back somewhere with more time to move them to your own cloud and storage. My concern is what does the camera connect to when in the wilds away from normal wifi spots? Will the camera use your phones wifi hotspot & internet connection, if so this will rely on 4/5g coverage and your contract having a big enough data allowance. Or will the phone have it's own SIM and ongoing subscription? I think that unlikely as it adds to the technology that would need cramming into the already limited space. Im hoping this is going to be better than Canon Connect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My concern is what does the camera connect to when in the wilds away from normal wifi spots? Will the camera use your phones wifi hotspot & internet connection, if so this will rely on 4/5g coverage and your contract having a big enough data allowance. Or will the phone have it's own SIM and ongoing subscription? I think that unlikely as it adds to the technology that would need cramming into the already limited space.

My understanding of the announcement is that the camera will upload via wi-fi, with the 5G reference being Canon's way to say it expects this to work thanks to smartphones with 5G network connectivity being ubiquitous enough to create a high bandwidth hot spot whenever necessary.

Considering the state of 5G deployment and Canon being conservative, I don't see it requiring a 5G SIM in its camera. The familiar and fast wi-fi, e.g. ac or ax, seems more probably to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
My understanding of the announcement is that the camera will upload via wi-fi, with the 5G reference being Canon's way to say it expects this to work thanks to smartphones with 5G network connectivity being ubiquitous enough to create a high bandwidth hot spot whenever necessary.

Considering the state of 5G deployment and Canon being conservative, I don't see it requiring a 5G SIM in its camera. The familiar and fast wi-fi, e.g. ac or ax, seems more probably to me.
Interesting. If connecting to the phone's wifi hot spot, no wonder they are planning a bigger battery as if its anything like using Canon Connect, it drains the battery very quickly. So much so, I dont use it at the moment unless for a specific purpose. Im not that desperate to upload images to social media as to need to do it as shots are taken. Lets hope the power drain would be minimal using wifi and not bluetooth like it currently does.

Upvote 0
Interesting. If connecting to the phone's wifi hot spot, no wonder they are planning a bigger battery as if its anything like using Canon Connect, it drains the battery very quickly. So much so, I don't use it at the moment unless for a specific purpose.

My assumption is the feature will be used in one of two cases:

1. Pro photographers who need the images processed immediately, e.g. print magnets in weddings and sports photographers (Olympic games, etc) so agencies have someone process the images in the back office for publication. IIRC, the 1DX has an Ethernet port to allow for the later usage case. Those guys probably have batteries recharged and replaced as part of their work flow.

2. Enthusiasts who want to have the images uploaded immediately to social media web sites. A 2nd battery will probably do the job for those.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
And that makes you trust a Canon cloud better than Google cloud because...?

I don't trust any service I don't control fully. For now Google needs people who give it their data for free. It could change.

Anyway I already wrote it may not be Canon business to offer cloud storage. It has costs that need to be paid. Google pays them selling people to advertisers, and it became very efficient at doing that. As long as that business is legal, it's hard to compete. Far better for Canon for now to offer an open backend and let people transfer their data where they want.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
For now Google needs people who give it their data for free. It could change.

Google offers this much for free. If you want to use Google cloud for long term backup of your photos, you'll have to pay.

Anyway I already wrote it may not be Canon business to offer cloud storage. .... Far better for Canon for now to offer an open backend and let people transfer their data where they want.

As Canon is not in the business to offer cloud storage, it uses Google as the backend. Everything is uploaded there, and the customer can move everything from there to wherever s/he likes.

Of course one could wish for a choice where the photos would be initially loaded to, but that would require Canon to develop flexible software that could interface with all those services (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc). Canon isn't in the business of doing that, so it makes a small deal with Google, which nobody is obligated to join.

Upvote 0
I know this is not for everyone, but the CCAPI in all of the newer cameras (starting with the RP) is able to wirelessly transfer Raw directly to your phone/device/cloud with a script.
There isn't an app taking advantage of this right now because it requires the user to activate the CCAPI first.

I'll work on something and post at dphacks.com in a couple of weeks - maybe :)

I've been playing around with the CCAPI for a while, and also created an Android App to transfer files (including raw files), which can be found here

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think this will be a nice feature. It sounds like they have been listening to Tony Northrup. I don't think it will be a game changer but 30% of the time useful to me. If I go on a weekend photo adventure, it will be probably little use to me. But I i am in my backyard taking picture of my daughter and bubbles. That is where I see use for this program. I just want to look at 20-50 pictures to find those 2 Ok ones and don't want to take the time to transfer them to my computer.
You mean someone listens to Tony?

Jack

• Haha
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
That's exactly what I am thinking!
The fact that now the camera will send the data directly when in a WiFi network and not via an app, is a huge difference and almost a game changer!
This also makes the second card slot an even less necessity (although I'm happy it's coming in the R5 of course!).

It took 33 posts for someone to notice this.

With the Canon Cloud, it means that not only are you insured against card failure, but also against theft and a host of other concerns. Cloud+ 1 card is safer than 2 cards?

I predict that in a few years many cameras will be like phones, and not have a removable card at all.

Also off-camera storatge buffers for extreme needs beyond network capacity. Like a pack of cards in your pocket to absorb the extreme data rates.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
In this app you have to enter it manually. You can however also use upnp to discover the device. The process is outlined on the first pages of the documentation.
Do you still need to find some obscure PC application to enable CCAPI in the camera, though? Or can it be done directly from the Android app?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'm gonna be curious as to how well Canon have set up the cameras and cloud services in terms of security.

Far too often, we are seeing commercially available "connected" apps that have very weak security settings.

Will they be using encryption along the full path? Will there be default of hard coded credentials left in there some where?

Will there be certificates that are signed somewhere and will these be regularly updated?

And also, like someone alluded to.....will all your photographs end up being used to train a company's AI systems even further? Will this be set forth CLEARLY in the TOS?

Topics like this can prove to be crucial for your images....can someone steal them by 'sniffing' around an event for the WiFi you're using?
Are there weaknesses where someone can hack into your camera and cause problems, or wreck things so that you LOSE your data?

We see these type of problems in all sorts of commercially offered connected apps/hardware. We've seen it in the Ring "security" hardware where you'd think they'd have put a little more forethought and research in securing that.

Heck, you often see companies handling medical data and worse that leave things on the cloud in unencrypted databases with information that really CAN be used to harm people.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but you see it all too often in the rush to get something out there useful and connected to create convenience, but all too often, security is an afterthought with these set ups, as that that often requires a great deal of time and investment to actually secure things.

And again, as your images are passing through a lot of companies' hands....and they've already shown the value this as training for AI of all sorts, including new facial recognition which has far reaching implications in the coming future.

Just some of my thoughts.

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0