The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

As a heavy user of the R, I am skeptical that the next generation of mirrorless will have advanced sufficiently to compete with a DSLR for nature or action. I'd like to be wrong, but I'll wait until the R5 is actually released and out in the field before getting my hopes up.
I think Canon will be oh-so-close. but not quite there. I noticed on Jared's 1DX Mark III video that it still seemed a little erratic for primary use. They are also still missing animal AF.

Upvote 0
Canon has a long track record in doing this. Back in 1985,
they built all the T90 ever sold within only three months in
a single production run and then sold it over a five year timespan.

They subsequently perfected this, and only once miscalculated,
when they ran out of stock for the D60 before the 10D was
ready to ship.

The 5D Mk4 started shipping after 2.400.00 copies preproduced.

Looking at the fact that many R5 across the globe are now
in news embargoed hands of ambassadors, journalists and
influencers, they are for sure running production at maximum warp.

And they will have enough parts sourced for that in advance.
After all, they are the only camera maker who can afford this
without risking to implode.
Yeah.. while I don't disagree that Canon has the manufacturing and distribution clout to pull this off... I have one logical flaw in this:

how do they do firmware updates?
Cameras ship through the lifecycle with updated / upgrade firmware and revised manuals.
are you telling me they go through this storage facility and manually update each and every camera and swap out the manuals,etc?

It's pretty common knowledge they will manufacturer lenses in a batch and sometimes that batch is good for the entire year. So while I could see them doing this for maybe a 3-4 month lead time, I can't see them doing this for the entire product lifecycle. the costs for augmenting or correcting firmware would be astronomical.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I’m delaying a lot of important buying decisions until I see this exact thing.

And wearing out the refresh icon.

It’s the news I’m waiting on the most.
I'm shocked and astounded that Canon didn't do a development announcement like last year. I thought that was pretty successful for Canon. It kept them in the press and the narrative going throughout the year pretty much continuously.

My only theory is that Canon isn't quite too sure what they are releasing this year, and they are waiting to see how things progress and they don't want to get locked into promising something in advance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Regardless, it is used as a method of evaluation to qualify for Canon Professional Services. If this gear qualifies for a pro oriented service offering and is used to qualify for that service, does Canon consider a pro level body? The Cinema cameras are the only other bodies used to determine eligibility - no XXD M, etc..

Maybe we need a separate offering - Canon Prosumer Services!

You guys are taking this WAY too seriously.

Among my total points, I currently have 5 points for a 7D and 5 points for a 7D Mark II, as well as 6 points for a 5D Mark II bought in 2011.

What country is your CPS membership in?

Upvote 0
I agree partly, yes I still think they will come out with a 1D type full grip camera but this for me is NOT a 5D replacement, its entirely new.

If you look at the 5D line it has very incremental steps, this camera is leaps ahead of the current 5D. I have owned all the 5D line from the beginning.
Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

this is a huge jump and I'm all for it but its not a 5D replacement, its way above that in my opinion

I'm afraid the 12fps only possible without af tracking. EOS R spec also capable to do 8fps, but without af tracking. With af servo tracking max fps is reduced to 5fps with frame rate priority or 3fps with focus priority

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 5D series were also considered professional.
Lots of professionals that I know used the EOS 5 series. It does not seem unreasonable to call these things "professional". Just about everything is "professional" these days. Walk into Home Depot and try to find a tool that isn't labeled "professional". The term has lost its original meaning.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think you're reading way too deep into marketing jargon. They called it the R5 to convey exactly where they expect to place it in the market. Why else would they jump right from EOS R to R5?

Also, the R5 does not have the vertical grip, large battery to go along with that, or the additional buttons on the front of the camera they reserve for their 1D level cameras. The R5 is meant as a 5D level camera, there's no question.
Yes.

we go into just that right here

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah.. while I don't disagree that Canon has the manufacturing and distribution clout to pull this off... I have one logical flaw in this:

how do they do firmware updates?
Cameras ship through the lifecycle with updated / upgrade firmware and revised manuals.
are you telling me they go through this storage facility and manually update each and every camera and swap out the manuals,etc?

It's pretty common knowledge they will manufacturer lenses in a batch and sometimes that batch is good for the entire year. So while I could see them doing this for maybe a 3-4 month lead time, I can't see them doing this for the entire product lifecycle. the costs for augmenting or correcting firmware would be astronomical.

Manuals? What manuals? Now all some of their cameras have is a "Basic Instructions" booklet that isn't firmware specific. The full manual has to be downloaded as a .pdf.

Upvote 0
Manuals? What manuals? Now all some of their cameras have is a "Basic Instructions" booklet that isn't firmware specific. The full manual has to be downloaded as a .pdf.
that's true. Showing my age there ;)

however, they still would have to open the box and update all the firmware. that seems to be as being a very costly adventure that would have to happen mutliple times in a product's lifecycle.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Lots of professionals that I know used the EOS 5 series. It does not seem unreasonable to call these things "professional". Just about everything is "professional" these days. Walk into Home Depot and try to find a tool that isn't labeled "professional". The term has lost its original meaning.

If anything, product, business, or service actually has "Pro" in the official name of the thing, it starts out with two strikes as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
If anything, product, business, or service actually has "Pro" in the official name of the thing, it starts out with two strikes as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, the same way it can be suspect when someone introduces themself as a "professional photographer" ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I'm shocked and astounded that Canon didn't do a development announcement like last year. I thought that was pretty successful for Canon. It kept them in the press and the narrative going throughout the year pretty much continuously.

My only theory is that Canon isn't quite too sure what they are releasing this year, and they are waiting to see how things progress and they don't want to get locked into promising something in advance.

Well, they have told a number i.e nine RF lenses (incl 2 converter). You think there are several placeholders?
I think that is unlikely: What would be the facts they are waiting for before deciding what to build?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

however, they still would have to open the box and update all the firmware. that seems to be as being a very costly adventure that would have to happen mutliple times in a product's lifecycle.

Once a product has launched, it seems everything moves through the pipeline fairly quickly. The products are not sitting in a warehouse in Japan, or in a Canon USA (UK/Europe/AUS/etc.) warehouse. Most of them are sitting in retailers' inventories. But at launch, the pipeline has to be primed and sufficient numbers shipped to fill pre-orders fairly quickly. Otherwise, folks start cancelling orders. Canon wants to be sure to sell as many as possible as soon as possible, because that also makes the model look more successful and can influence overall sales of the life cycle of the product. Containers do not cross oceans in hours or even days. It's weeks.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Maybe the retailer doesn't need to do that until right before they ship it? That could create issues with places like amazon.com, but they are often the ones that ship bodies with out of date firmware, while even B&H and other smaller "specialty" retailers do not.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Among my total points, I currently have 5 points for a 7D and 5 points for a 7D Mark II, as well as 6 points for a 5D Mark II bought in 2011.

What country is your CPS membership in?
I am in the US. 1dx II / 10 pts, 5d iv /7 pts. I have some high end lenses for wildlife that represents the majority of my points.

• Wow
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
At the real high pressure events the top shooters are not using WiFi, they're tethering via the gigabit ethernet port.
That’s is correct that alone does not hinder 5DIV capabilities to get fast editorial photos out provided there is a fast connection back to editorial truck at the back of the event.
And if there none and Ethernet cable only then the following is an amazing option to get your images out via LAN. This little puppy will allow you shooting with no Ethernet cables plugged into your camera. So much more comfortable.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If you think $2.4 Billion in unsold inventory is not a problem, you don't know much about business. In this day and age, no company wants to sit on any more inventory than they absolutely have to.

Toyota builds around 2 million vehicles in the U.S. each year (2018 was 1,928,979 units with gross sales of $264.4B ). That's a tad over 37,000 per week spread over ten plants (plus many vehicles sold in the U.S. come from one of the four Canadian plants). Back in the 1990s when I worked in that area of logistics, typical inventory on the ramp at the plants awaiting shipment was 5-7 days. That's between 27,000-37,000 vehicles at an average value of $4-5B in unshipped inventory at any given time. Then there is the inventory sitting at dealers all across the country...

That sales revenue is about 7X Canon Inc.'s on a per annum basis. But the Auto industry does not report net profits of 46% of sales, either. In 2018 Toyota had a gross operating margin of 18.75%. So Toyota's margin was only 2.85X Canon's for 2018.

Upvote 0