The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That’s all great. If this, if that... But you still haven’t seen this camera, and are not qualified to judge or rate it. Idle speculation is worth just what it costs.

David, OP was logically correct though in saying that IF R5 EVF has not been improved from R, THEN .... I actually second that motion. But my semi educated guess is that vastly improved sensor readout of R5 will allow for a much lower evf latency. As in you get your evf content more insync with reality and faster :). 3 times faster in fact. That may be adequate.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
I think you're looking at this with some seriously rose tinted glasses. I find it hard to believe that Canon has very much stock built up for a camera that's still several months from release. Also generally the way stuff gets manufactured now with just in time component deliveries to the plant, they don't "build up" a stock of components before something gets made. It's a financial liability to set on a bunch of expensive parts months before you actually build a product. Parts are normally delivered to the factory very shortly before they're actually used to build a camera.

I also don't think Canon will release the camera until they have a good stock of them built up. They aren't going to release the camera with only a very limited supply to sell to people. As soon as the camera is released, people will be looking towards how many Canon has been able to sell to judge if the camera is a success or not. And not having enough stock on hand is a good way for Canon to look very bad from several angles, ie they can't build cameras quickly enough, also the impression that no one is buying their new camera, and finally unhappy customers waiting forever on their preorder. Releasing a camera before you have sufficient stock built up is a recipe for disaster.

Your first paragraph is an excellent synopsis of just in time manufacturing; with a little luck this virus may finally be the end for that dreadful method of operating a business (you're gambling your business that there will never be a supply chain disruption...or you can lay in some extra parts and be in a position to keep working during unforeseen events. Your choice...)

Your second paragraph also does an excellent job of describing how Canon is most likely to do things. And if they want to have sufficient inventory to ensure sales, they are not only making the cameras as we converse, the first batch needs to be in the shipping containers by the end of March to ensure they are in hand by July. Sailing time from Japan is around 20 days in good weather, longer in bad. It takes a week or two to consolidate the containers at the departure port. It takes a week at the receiving port to sort them and get them on their way, then another two weeks for the inventory to get where it needs to be. That's 2 months if everything goes well, 3 if it doesn't. (For low value products like toys, it is double this because the manufacturer isn't willing to spend extra for expedited service, which Canon most likely is).

Here's the weird thing - the initial units for sale will probably come in via air freight, which buys the factory a bit of time to fix any problems that crop up in the initial batches, or which appear in the QA testing of the first batches (that will have already been shipped to meet deadline). Unfortunately, it is cost prohibitive to air freight for really large quantities, so the ones made before the final 'first' batch is air freighted may have to be fixed here in the US.

As for Europe, the sailing time is longer and riskier (pirates etc).

Now maybe Canon can charge enough of a premium to cover air freight for the first 100K cameras or so; that would be an interesting thing to calculate. But even so, if sales/delivery are planned for mid-July, the cameras need to ship by late May/early June. Meaning production needs to start in April. 45 days from now.

I imagine the sales of antacids is high near Canon's factory at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That Fro-knows-photo guy just did a video with the 1DxMkIII where he used some kind of weird adapter that allows the LCD on the back of the camera to be used with an eye cup. That worked out pretty stellar for him. It simulated mirrorless performance as he just locked the shutter out of the way and used live view to shoot.

-Brian

You want one of these then!

Z-Finder DSLR Optical Viewfinder

When we originally bought all those old 5D Mk2's for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics (i.e. our hometown!), it was one of the first type of camera accessory items we got! (after the Wooden Camera-like shoulder mount systems!)

Wooden Camera
Shoulder Rig v3 (Pro)

This Z-finder is a newer more refined version of what we originally purchased.

They're still working great for other newer camera systems!

Get a version of this for the 1Dx3 and you are GOOD TO GO for 20 fps LiveView !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the EVF lag and the R5.

A sprinter does 100m in 10s, 10m in 1s. If your EVF framerate is 30fps, the athlete will pass 33 cm during the frame update so your view will always be lagging up to 33cm behind (it can be much less depending on several factors, including the shooting angle).
at 60fps it'll be up to 16cm, 120fps -> 8cm etc. I highly doubt the R5's EVF will do 120fps.

However the human reaction time to random events is about 0.1-0.2s which is much longer than the frame duration even at 30fps. With the sprinter in the example above, 0.1s translates to 1m. A trained photographer can predict say a climax of a jump and hit the button upfront, but they'd normally use continuous shooting instead.

Therefore, the EVF lag mostly matters when something unpredictable happens so that the very first frame of the continuous sequence isn't taken too late, or in cases when continuous shooting isn't possible/practical.

That will be important for the future R1 line, but not so important for the R5 I guess. Accredited olympics photogs won't use the R5 anyway, and for the rest, EVF or OVF won't make a big difference, will it?

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I am aware of Eos R fps, as for the R5, we don't know yet so speculation is pointless. Whats promising is that what the R5 can do that the R can't is 20fps in electronic mode, so I doubt the mechanical mode will be so hindered as the Eos r is. that's my hope.

the M6 ii can do 14 fps with tracking. That’s a 32mpix sensor and not without the processing speed of digic x. Think we’re good.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
But my semi educated guess is that vastly improved sensor readout of R5 will allow for a much lower evf latency.
Total frame render will be roughly <exposure time> + <readout time> + <processing time and transferring the data to the EVF> + <rendering time>
readout may improve it but there are other factors. exposure time may be significant in low light.

Upvote 0

Could we please just stop the stupidity with the "professional" moniker being given just to the 1DX line? I myself don't give a s... to the whatever sports 20mpx monster is. Different camera, different purposes. So the professional wedding shooters, or the high megapixel photogs working in a commercial advertisement area, are not professionals? I also absolutly don't care, what Canon calls them. 1DX III is not more professional to the photog having a complete different job requirements - how much is it professional, if it does not fit the bill for some?

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
The word professional only applies to people, not to equipment. It means to perform an activity for the purpose of making money. No more - and no less. It has nothing to do with skill or adequacy.

My local photographer is doing passport photos with a triple (or quadruple?) digit Canon. He is making money with it. Therefore he is using this cheap Canon professionally.

All the rest is marketing fuss.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Do we expect a full launch announcement at Photokina then in May? Can't wait for the fuill specs. Stil have all my Canon glass (EF admittedly) and would love to have a really capable Canon mirrorless. Still won't sell my Sony's as the glass I have is too nice to give up, but if the R5 has the DR and AF performance I'm hoping forI might sell the AR73 sooner and just keep the A9.

Craig is confident. I'm wondering if they will just launch it for the Olympics, and just have demo units there for the professionals to try out.

I think we'll have a better idea if we see live units the shows leading up to Photokina, ie: WPPI, PhotographyShow UK, and NAB.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
So, can you explain what you find disappointing about the 1dx III? Sure your aren't talking about the Nikon D6?
I think you have quoted me by mistake. I was asking Goldwing to post some images because he was bitterly complaining. I have no idea how the new 1dx is performing, but I'm interested in knowing more!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0