The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
absolutely true; I earn my living with the 5D camera's. Sometimes wish for just a bit more speed and buffer, but this option is simply more cost efficient for me.

Plus, sports photography seems to be in trouble too, as a profession.. https://petapixel.com/2020/02/20/into-the-unknown-reinventing-yourself-as-a-photographer/
If we could figure out how to make money with selfies, we'd be set.

Oh, wait. Come to think of it, the smartphone companies have already cornered the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Yes, turns out that the 1DX3 is the best wildlife camera on the planet. Your point?

With the lowest pixel density of any Canon full-frame? Sure, if your wildlife sits 10ft from you.

Maybe you've never been focal-length limited at 1200mm and f/8. 20fps isn't any help when you can't crop.

Go back and read the 1DX3 white paper. Everything Canon wrote about resolution was orientated towards uncropped sports magazine spreads. 'Wildlife' was mentioned once and then forgotten.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Baically disrespect to all the professional owners of the 5D series camera to say that its mirrorless series R5 "is deffinitely not a proffesional" camera.
You could save your outrage until the camera comes out.

True pros don't so easily get rattled. Lighten up!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Tiny bit correction: The concept of pro-level mirrorless was not born in 2018 w/ the EOS R, it started w/ the 7D era (approx 2012) w/ the DPAF in Liveview. Like many are uttering, I wish the R5 will make the 1DXiii obsolete in July 2020. The R5 should be a significant incremental improvement to the 5D but w/o the mirror box.

The 7D MII was not mirrorless.
The DPAF was Canon showing a superior video method to all others available and still is.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Lots of professionals that I know used the EOS 5 series. It does not seem unreasonable to call these things "professional". Just about everything is "professional" these days. Walk into Home Depot and try to find a tool that isn't labeled "professional". The term has lost its original meaning.

Professional has 2 meanings here.
1. Built like a tank for the type of use a pro will at times need with utter reliability no matter what.
2. Canon Rebels are use by pros with excellent results including journalists. I go to lots of public meetings around the country and look at cameras used by the press present. Rebels are common as well as d5XXX and D3XXX cameras.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Every few months we circle back to what makes a camera professional.... that's what you get at Page 10 I guess.
The DR discussion and art discussion is sure to follow. BTW: 1/3 of a stop is always a deal breaker for me. I got a ticket for that once. 6.3 vs 7.1 is yuuuuuuge!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I think you have quoted me by mistake. I was asking Goldwing to post some images because he was bitterly complaining. I have no idea how the new 1dx is performing, but I'm interested in knowing more!
Sorry, you are correct. I totally agree with your request, especially if he actually has the 1dx III and is testing. The video of a sports & bird shooter look pretty good to me. Jared was raving about the 1dx III, not bad from someone who is a Sony convert . I have the 1dx II and don't plan to upgrade, but only because I wan the R1 mirrorless version. If I didn't think that was in the works, I would have ordered the 1dx III. I assume the 1dx III is based off the M6 II sensor, which has no problem with IQ or color science.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0