R5 Release Price. Just for fun.

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I think it depends on the quality (and cost) of the EVF you would find acceptable for your main camera. I won't be surprised (nor hesitant) to pay a $500 more for an EVF that is much closer to the quality of a FF OVF than the EOS R one.

If we are talking about backup or crash cameras, that's another story, but I don't think it would be the main niche for the R5.

I'd pay more to get one that was as superior (in size and image quality) to the RP's as the Nikon Z6 is. That's aside from the issues of the display itself.

Upvote 0
I have gone thru all of this thread looking at all the comments with great interest. Slightly tongue in cheek, if Canon were to do the same as I did they would get a great insight as to price expectations for the R5 and if the price they set at launch were within the parameters discussed here they would know in advance that they were on to a winner. The question is .. is this thread self determining the price which could be higher than Canon had in mind ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I have gone thru all of this thread looking at all the comments with great interest. Slightly tongue in cheek, if Canon were to do the same as I did they would get a great insight as to price expectations for the R5 and if the price they set at launch were within the parameters discussed here they would know in advance that they were on to a winner. The question is .. is this thread self determining the price which could be higher than Canon had in mind ?

I wonder the same thing, you would think that on some level they monitor these sites but it would be interesting to know exactly how close they do and what they do with the information if anything.

• Haha
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I wonder the same thing, you would think that on some level they monitor these sites but it would be interesting to know exactly how close they do and what they do with the information if anything.

Yes, I also would find it very interesting to know if/how much Canon monitor / follow sites and forums like this one, DPReview, etc.

However, I also know there are MANY enthusiast photographers who will buy a R5, but not necessarily be part of a discussion / online forum like this. With my business background (marketing / management degree decades ago and decades working in business) - I know Canon would be all too aware of this.

Clearly, a higher proportion of say 5D owners will contribute to online forums like this and DPReview, etc than the proportion of xxxD owners.

There are various levels of photographers in the world. They will vary greatly in terms of:
  • enthusiasm and passion
  • skill and expertise
  • monetary value of current (and potential future) gear
  • amount they make from photography (from nothing to 6 figure sums)
I know many people in various 'camps'.

So let's remember, the people represented on this (and other) online forums are very passionate about their photography. Members in it cover those who don't (yet) own a DSLR, to those who own multiple 1D line bodies.
And, there are also others who own a lot of photography equipment / gear and do photography at a very serious level, but do not EVER contribute or participate in an online forum / discussion about photography.

Canon would have data to know the breakdown much better than we do.

So how does this translate to the price of the R5? I expect there would be a team of Canon business analysts and marketing staff who are involved in setting the prices of Canon products in their market.

I'm hoping that the local price (here in Australia) will not be too high, and we'll see prices come down within a year or so of launch / release. That is likely when I will be considering the upgrade to the R5, depending on other features / specifications meetings my needs. (Though a decent camera, the R doesn't meet my needs - and I am not just talking about paper specifications, I am talking about usability and real world features).

So far, the R5 has me very interested... it will likely be the camera that will see me move from DSLR to FF mirrorless. I currently own a bunch of DSLR bodies, (horses for courses) and several lenses including (some nice L glass). I also own the M5 with 4 EOS M mount lenses.

I do see that in the future, I'll be using Canon FF mirrorless as my main photography kit, along with some RF lenses. But that is going to be some time down the track. If the Canon R5 comes out at or lower than say USD$3500, that time will come sooner rather than later, compared to if the R5 comes in at around USD $4k (pun intended).

PJ

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
++++ So far, the R5 has me very interested... it will likely be the camera that will see me move from DSLR to FF mirrorless

Canon: Thank you, that is all that we need to know at this time!

++++ If the Canon R5 comes out at or lower than say USD$3500, that time will come sooner rather than later
Canon: sure. Price is: USD$3,750. Please take your time. :)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The A9 is currently $3499. A7III is $1799. I assume you meant A7R IV which is $3499.

If they price R5 higher than $3299, they're repeating old mistakes. One of the benefits of MILC is that they're (usually) cheaper than DSLRs, and it's the main reason A7III killed everything else in the FF market in the past 2 years. Canon's RF lenses already sell for a hefty premium, and if they start charging $4000+ for MILCs that aren't even flagship level, they're just being greedy. It would be a huge mistake that I'd rather not see them make. Sony forums are also banking on the R5 being ridiculously expensive, because they know it will stop people from jumping to Canon.

Being overpriced (along with the RF lenses that arguably already are) will also make EF users apprehensive about jumping to mirrorless. Or it might drive them to Sony, which is what this camera is supposed to prevent.

Well, that's the thing that I think is the 'catch'.

You can jump over to the R(5)....and not have to worry for awhile about having to spend $$$ on RF lenses, since your EF ones will work just fine to start with.

That to me, is the big catch...get the new body and you're free to use your already massive EF lens collection you own and then over time, add/replace with RF lenses as you get more money saved.

That's likely what I'll do.

And I'm thinking at the r% level, which to me is sounding more like high end prosumer market, that this market won't have many/any qualms about using the EF/RM adapter.

I know I won't have a problem with it.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I didn’t read his words that way at all. I agree with him that many of those shopping in this range might be indifferent to a marginal change in price within a plausible range (now I’m paraphrasing him, hopefully accurately).

But that reasonable principle of elasticity of demand (inelasticity in this case) can’t be taken to absurd extremes. Not good logic.

I'm of the thought, that anyone that is truly in the market for the R5, isn't gonna let $400 sway them one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
And I'm thinking at the r5 level, which to me is sounding more like high end prosumer market, that this market won't have many/any qualms about using the EF/RM adapter.

My question is this: Would an owner of only R bodies ever buy a new EF big white lens for $7000-12,000 for adapter use, if they could wait for lenses designed for the RF? I've asked this before, and never heard anyone say yes.

A working pro might with an immediate and ongoing need surely, but he's 99% likely to have an EF body.

I'm not an adapter hater - they are great for using existing or bargain used lenses but otherwise make me cringe. I suspect that Canon's internal data will show they aren't selling new EF lenses to their growing RF customer base. Simple solution is to whip up some new rear housings (especially for the newest 400 anmd 600 IS III) and announce the line of new RF big whites. Maybe not tomorrow, but by the R1 announcment. I hope they don't look at the data and say: "Gee, RF owners don't buy big whites so let's not put much investment into that segment for RF".

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
My question is this: Would an owner of only R bodies ever buy a new EF big white lens for $7000-12,000 for adapter use, if they could wait for lenses designed for the RF? I've asked this before, and never heard anyone say yes.

A working pro might with an immediate and ongoing need surely, but he's 99% likely to have an EF body.

I'm not an adapter hater - they are great for using existing or bargain used lenses but otherwise make me cringe. I suspect that Canon's internal data will show they aren't selling new EF lenses to their growing RF customer base.
You are assuming that their "growing RF customer base in need of big whites, but without backup EF bodies or EF glass" will be big enough to matter. I'm not sure it's that likely on a shrinking market.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
You are assuming that their "growing RF customer base in need of big whites, but without backup EF bodies or EF glass" will be big enough to matter. I'm not sure it's that likely on a shrinking market.

You may be right that today, those who own only RF bodies is a small segment. After the R5 brings switchers that will increase, and as EF owners switch to RF that will continue. If Canon wants to won more switchers, having an appealing range of current pro lenses not requiring adapters reduces resistance to switching. Others may doubt whether RF will effectively supplant EF, but all signs are that is will.

Those EF body owners whose now-preferred, higher-value, newer body is an RF will similarly hesitate before buying a new-priced EF lens.

Just my predictions, heavily biased by the widespread bias that others are like oneself.

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see if Canon adopts the mass appeal by undercutting Sony's current prices on their TOL cameras. While they(Canon) would not make as much per unit, if the camera kicks ass they would literally be dealing with demand issues and forcing Sony to drop their prices. I really don't see that happening but then no one expected the R or Spanish Inquisition until it was too late.

In reality land, $3799 and that may even be too low.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
From what I recall the launchprice of the 1Dxii was $6,000 with the 1Dx iii at $6,500. So barely a 8% increase.
Canon 5DIV was $3,500 on release which would suggest a launch of a similar update at $3,750.
So would a R5 command a higher or lower premium? I can see both arguments - higher because it offers things a DSLR would not, lower because they still need to pull people into the system. They have already got people buzzing with the quality of their lenses so I can see it at $3,650.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
This is the summary so far:

3299 * 1
3399 * 1
3499 * 1
3500 * 1
3599 * 1
3600 * 2
3799 * 1
3887/8 * 2
3899 * 1
4299 * 1
4350 * 1

Soon we will know. The winner will get a sunglass emoji from me. I promise.

Don't forget my bid for $1. I'm spinning the wheel and going to the Showcase Showdown!

Upvote 0