Are these the 7 RF lenses Canon will be announcing in 2020? [CR1]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Seems a little boring, given that Canon promised new and inventive lenses along with the R system.

The difference between f/2.8 and f/2 at 135mm isn't massive, and so that lens seems a little fringe.

Why no 17-55mm f/2.8? Why no telephoto lenses faster than f/7.1? Why no L primes smaller than their EF counterparts?

Did we really need a junky 24-105?
Your 'We' and Canon's 'We' are two very different things.

ONCE AGAIN,
there are a few more of us out there than those who frequent the forum and spent thousands on gear. (pssst, it's called the majority)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Along with the f/1.2L primes.
I'm gonna have some seriously difficult buying choices in the next year... I'm trying to hold out to see if/what we get from Canon as a true video centric RF body, but as it stands now, the R6 ain't lookin too shabby depending on how the final specs pan out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
That 50 and 85 1.8 looks good! but the 70-135... this will be a huge (and desirable) chunk of glass.

Also... I wonder the angle of view of that 10mm, I dont need it, but love to see Canon making unique lenses. Those one are jewels.
That will be another $3000 machine or more like the 28-70 f2. If you can swing it though, it would be worth every penny

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
Missing:
- 24 f/1.2
- 14-28 f/2

I dunno.

I read “ultra-wide prime L” and got rather happy about it.

But, none of these seem to be an ultra-wide prime by my reconning.

Guess some will make the case for the 35, but to me it would be a 24 or less, preferably.

I was thinking that an ultra-wide prime might drive the sale of a few Ra’s.

And all that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

martin_p_a

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jul 30, 2019
Montreal
I’d be interested in the 10-24 f/4L for landscapes. Right now the only RF lens i have is the 24-105 f/4L. I’d also like to see an ultra-wide and fast prime to try my hand at astrophotography (not deep-space obviously).

And then the 85 and 50 would be interesting too if the IQ is there to cover some more situations.

currently have the RP, but the R5 is so tempting, I might sell a few non-vital organs this year...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The difference between f/2.8 and f/2 at 135mm isn't massive, and so that lens seems a little fringe.
The difference between f/2.8 and f/2 is a whole stop. That's great. It might be fringe, but I want one. RF 28-70mm f/2L, RF 70-135mm f/2L, RF 85mm f/1.2L and I will be a very happy guy for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
This hits a chunk of of my wish-list; the 10-24 f/4, and f/1.8 primes are something I'm looking for. I hope the 50 1.8 takes more after the EF 1.4 than it does the plastic fantastic. Mid-range, moderate weight primes are what I'd like to see. But missing a real macro lens still :(. I guess I'll just continue to fantasize about a 180mm RF macro (but even my fantasies can't summon an RF MPE-65).

(I actually like the EF 50 f/1.8; it's really cool that a fairly fast prime is so light and so cheap, even if the IQ is fairly bad. But I'd like to upgrade. But I also understand that Canon might not want three different primes at the same length right off the bat.)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
“Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM”

This NEEDS to happen! Especially if it is equivalent or better optically than the already good 35mm version.

An 85mm version may potentially be of interest to me as well.

“ Canon RF 70-135mm f/2L USM ”

I wonder how large this would be if it were to materialize. Still, it would be nice to see Canon continue to offer ultra fast lens options in addition to the f7.1s popping up as of late.
I've been waiting so long for a Canon 50-60 macro...that, in despair, I bought the Zeiss (very very good), and the EOS R in order to use my 60 and 100 Leica R macros (absolutely superb) .
But if Canon brings the 50 macro, I'm gonna buy it for its AF, and as a standard lens.
Hope it's gonna get true!

Upvote 0