Canon EOS R5 and a new Speedlite appear for certification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like the Canon EOS R5 has appeared for certification for its 2.4ghz/5ghz Wifi capabilities. The 5ghz specification was part of our original rumoured specifications for the Canon EOS R5.
The Canon EOS R5 is likely the DS126839 that has appeared for certification.
Also registered is a new camera accessory, which is likely a Speedlite. We originally thought it would be announced ahead of CP+, but I guess it makes sense to announce it when we get the official Canon EOS R5 announcement.
The new Speedlite is likely the DS586224 that has appeared for certification.
Update: As others have noted, DS586224 could also be the WFT-9A

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I’d be absolutely shocked if it comes in that low. I’d be really happy...but shocked.

It's going to compete directly with the a7Riv in a shrinking ILC market. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense to price it significantly higher. Could be $4k max if it uses CFexpress and the 8k video isn't severely gimped in some way. But any higher than that and it's getting into pro body territory. I doubt Canon wants people to consider buying the a9ii instead. They want people to have little doubt in their minds that they should buy the R5 over the a7Riv.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
It's going to compete directly with the a7Riv in a shrinking ILC market. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense to price it significantly higher. Could be $4k max if it uses CFexpress and the 8k video isn't severely gimped in some way. But any higher than that and it's getting into pro body territory.

The video specs aren’t even comparable...the R5 will blow it out of the water.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The video specs aren’t even comparable...the R5 will blow it out of the water.

I know, I could be completely wrong, but $4500 would be incredibly aggressive pricing considering that Sony has some good options at that price and lower. They'd be pitting the R5 against 3 Sony bodies that all have pretty stellar reviews. But whatever the case may be, I'm assuming a lot of us here will be pre-ordering lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It's going to compete directly with the a7Riv in a shrinking ILC market. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense to price it significantly higher. Could be $4k max if it uses CFexpress and the 8k video isn't severely gimped in some way. But any higher than that and it's getting into pro body territory. I doubt Canon wants people to consider buying the a9ii instead. They want people to have little doubt in their minds that they should buy the R5 over the a7Riv.
Many that own 5Dmk4 and mk3 and slowly transitioning to mirrorless

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
One big piece of the puzzle will be the demand for RF glass. If you want to use RF glass, you need an RF camera. It may be that simple.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0