Industry News: Fujifilm officially announces the X-T4

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Valhalla, New York – February 26, 2020 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is proud to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X-T4 (hereinafter “X-T4”), a flagship model of the X Series family of mirrorless digital cameras.
The X-T4 is an astounding imaging tool, packing a newly designed IBIS, a quiet new shutter unit, a new vari-angle LCD screen, a new Eterna Bleach Bypass Film Simulation, and a new, large-capacity, battery all into a compact and lightweight camera body. This camera is the perfect tool for today’s image-makers and is an ideal multi-functional solution for visual storytellers to use in creating their stories.
Preorder the Fujifilm X-T4

More information about the key features of X-T4:
Designed for Quality and Speed
Fujifilm’s state-of-the-art X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor and X-Processor 4 combination sits at this camera’s core, pairing this exceptional, 26.1MP, back-side illuminated sensor with a powerful...

Continue reading...

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
A really fine camera... too bad canon doesn't want to update the M5
Even if Canon gave you an M62 with a viewfinder, would that really compete with the Fuji X-T4?

The M52 would be a $1100 body at most which still puts it well below the Fuji. Fuji's goal with this line is to offer a full-feature yet not full-frame system - a pro-crop. Not exactly what Canon's priorities are with the M line, (to take another whack at the dead horse again) which is prioritize portability over everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I was really looking forward to updating my X-T3, but since the EOS R5 came to be, I just don't see me going any further with the Fuji system. I love the tiny lenses, but I don't see a point in financing two mirrorless systems from different brands.

This. FF 40-45mp and 8k? The R5 steals all the thunder from the X-T4.

Upvote 0

A very good and capable camera for the ordinary filmmaker. I will be publishing a video this evening on this camera. I have some canon glass so if the R6 delivers not eh capabilities I need, I'll get the R6, otherwise, this will be my new camera. IBIS, improved AF and a nice retro look! I just love the RF system...

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Maybe, but how many people can afford a $4000+ camera and how many an $1600 one? Plus add the expensive RF lenses. And Fuji's image and video quality is so good that i don't see the need for better in 99.9% of cases.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

The price points are vastly different. The X-T4 is more equivalent to the mythical R7. 15fps mechanical shutter rated at 300,000 actuations? Interesting to see what the AF performance will be.

Upvote 0
Maybe, but how many people can afford a $4000+ camera and how many an $1600 one? Plus add the expensive RF lenses. And Fuji's image and video quality is so good that i don't see the need for better in 99.9% of cases.

We can subtract the RF lenses ideology from you post, because EF glass works perfect. I have the RF system already and plan to to 80% EF glass anyway because it works so good.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
While I appreciate the improvements of the X-T4, what got my attention was the very quiet shutter.
The X-H1 surprised me with the quiet smoothness of its shutter and I coveted it for that reason alone.
Putting a shutter like that in the X-T body just adds that level refinement that elevates it into a top tier photo experience.
Oh, and 12fps doesn't hurt my feelings either.

The fact that Fuji actually takes great photos and has a quality lens line is icing on the cake.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The price points are vastly different. The X-T4 is more equivalent to the mythical R7. 15fps mechanical shutter rated at 300,000 actuations? Interesting to see what the AF performance will be.
Agreed, way different price points.

So far the reviews say AF is noticeably improved over the X-T3. The X-T3 is fairly good already but there is room for improvement. My estimate is it works well 80-85% of the time and that is backed up by some reviews I've seen. Way better than the original X-T1 or original Canon M1. When I was using my 1Dx it was rare the AF failed on me (less than 5% of the time?). I have to imagine the R5 will be a step above in AF performance but had better be at $3500-4500. I seriously doubt the R5 will be close to the 1Dx but go for it Canon, surprise me.

All in all the X-T4 looks promising and I've ordered one to upgrade my X-T3. Will be interesting to see how well the R5 AF performs. My wife will get one to upgrade her EOS-R. I would be surprised if it's enough for me to come back to Canon but we'll see. Maybe the R1 will come out next year and it will be my perfect camera but it will have to be more like the size of the EOS-R or the original film EOS-1. I'm done with huge cameras. So nice holding and packing/traveling with smaller systems. For now Fuji is great for travel and finally AF is usable.

Upvote 0
While I appreciate the improvements of the X-T4, what got my attention was the very quiet shutter.
The X-H1 surprised me with the quiet smoothness of its shutter and I coveted it for that reason alone.
Putting a shutter like that in the X-T body just adds that level refinement that elevates it into a top tier photo experience.
Oh, and 12fps doesn't hurt my feelings either.

The fact that Fuji actually takes great photos and has a quality lens line is icing on the cake.

15fps for mechanical shutter, 20fps for electronic ;) The improvements in AF are what gets my attention.

It's always enjoyable to read Jonas Rask's reviews (yes, he is paid by Fuji for his photography and is an Fuji X photographer)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I owned two X-T3s and also had the MKX lenses. Unfortunately, both bodies died. While I loved the size, imagery and nostalgia of shooting with the Fuji’s, it would take a lot for me to decide to dump another $20k into a full Fuji kit again.
This is made even less probable with Canons pending release of the R5... which I will immediately preorder.

Upvote 0
I was really looking forward to updating my X-T3, but since the EOS R5 came to be, I just don't see me going any further with the Fuji system. I love the tiny lenses, but I don't see a point in financing two mirrorless systems from different brands.
My entire three prime lens kit is smaller than one of Canon’s new RF zooms and they are all F2 or faster and IBIS stabilized on an XT-4. That’s before even addressing video. I’d love to come back to being a full time Canon shooter but those little Fuji X’s are too much fun to give up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
15fps for mechanical shutter, 20fps for electronic ;) The improvements in AF are what gets my attention.

It's always enjoyable to read Jonas Rask's reviews (yes, he is paid by Fuji for his photography and is an Fuji X photographer)

Yeah I guess I mis-remembered the frame rate. Either way it is excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0