R5 Release Price. Just for fun.

Mar 25, 2011
I'd expect $2995 simply because Canon has been trying to gain traction in the mirrorless market. It will be a mirrorless 5 series camera and bargain priced. Canon's strategy based on what I've gleaned from reading their financial reports is to sell RF lenses. They are described as very profitable. Canon might be able to sell the R5 for $3500 or even $4,000, but its like printer and ink. The big profit is in the ink, or in this case lenses. They need a big user base that is wanting RF lenses.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'd expect $2995 simply because Canon has been trying to gain traction in the mirrorless market. It will be a mirrorless 5 series camera and bargain priced. Canon's strategy based on what I've gleaned from reading their financial reports is to sell RF lenses. They are described as very profitable. Canon might be able to sell the R5 for $3500 or even $4,000, but its like printer and ink. The big profit is in the ink, or in this case lenses. They need a big user base that is wanting RF lenses.
But R will take EF lenses seamlessly. I have been told.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The Canon Rep at Vegas stated it was a ML 5D, in a manner of speaking. Price has got to correlate with that. Talk about it being above $3999 is nuts. That type of pricing will just sell more R's. Or conversely, raise the divorce rates.
It would even sell more 5DIV bodies as do not see how pros are disadvantaged shooting with 5DIV prices at around what $2000 now?
Get a pair oft these for 4000, run them down and see what happens with mirrorless line then?

nope, Canon aren’t stupid. This is not the outcomes they are chasing.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
See attached. It is in dutch.

The grammar errors in that email make my head hurt, is it really so difficult to use the plural form of a verb when the subject is plural as well? 'The suppliers has...' uggh.

There, ranting done.

Back on topic, Cameranu tends to play it really safe, so you will get "Sorry, there has been a delay, we'll ship it ASAP" emails even for things like workshop reservations where there's nothing to ship. I hope that's the case here and you'll get your R5 soon!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The grammar errors in that email make my head hurt, is it really so difficult to use the plural form of a verb when the subject is plural as well? 'The suppliers has...' uggh.

There, ranting done.

Back on topic, Cameranu tends to play it really safe, so you will get "Sorry, there has been a delay, we'll ship it ASAP" emails even for things like workshop reservations where there's nothing to ship. I hope that's the case here and you'll get your R5 soon!
Way to early to play safe. We are still in Feb. July is in 4 months from now. So..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I thought that it had been announced it will be released before the games in July

Announced by Techradar.com ?

“...We're unsure whether Canon will fill this gap by giving us more information during the CP+ photography show to be held later in February, but rumors ( https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/ ) did point to a possible release date some time in July 2020..”

Your heard it here first! (C) HarryFilm

Upvote 0