The EOS M lineup will be addressed later in 2020 [CR1]

I know a lot of people dislike the removable EVF, but for someone like me who's left eye dominant the EVF is a godsend! When I tried the R the touch and drag method of moving AF points worked horribly as my nose is always on the screen (which is why I am excited the R5 will have the joystick) but with the way the EVF sits on the M6II being higher up and protruding it gives clearance and I can use the touch and drag method (which then works wonderfully).

Would still love to have IBIS and vari-angle screen though.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I wonder if Canon will keep the M series for APS-C mirrorless or eventually swap everything over to the RF system? I'm leaning towards the latter.
No, the EF-M will be gone way after EF-S, which also doesn't show signs of discontinuation just yet.
There is really not much of an advantage for the RF-mount for APS-C lens design over EF-M. In fact, the flange distance is actually a little longer.

Of course there will be an APS-C RF-mount body eventually, but it will be made mainly for for telephoto work, it won't have cheap lenses like the EF-M.
I mean, there is a 7D Mark II but there are no lenses specifically designed for it. But it makes perfect sense for using it with FF higher-end telephoto lenses.

Upvote 0
Side swivel displays aren't going anywhere. One of the fastest growing uses for these cameras is vlogging, where having a swivel screen saves you $$$$ from having to purchase an external display and/or renders the camera practically useless to the vlogger if they record on the move.
I understand that and respect videographers needs but can’t we have at least some cameras for photographers? It is so freeing when the camera doesn’t have to be glued to your eye and so natural when the display is in line with the lens. Like the Hasselblads of old but way better. M6’s controls are all under right hand and the left supports the camera. Not at all comfortable with side swivel. I was so happy when they arrived on the scene 15 years ago (for me) but the times had moved forward. Simply put - cameras for people who shoot predominantly video and people who shoot predominantly stills show be in different lines and hopefully, cameras for photographers will continue to exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry, but tilty-flippys are far more than "selfie displays". They are useable from the back, the top, the bottom, and the front and all angles in between, not to mention less fragile than the typical flip up/down display with its exposed flex cable.
That’s great if you use or camera at such angles all of the time. I use mine at waist level mostly. For tricky angles I remote control the camera with smartphone.

Upvote 0
I bought my M50 after reading a review or two and the fact it has a built-in EV. I bouggt a few M lenses but then frustration set in. Last year I bought a Mitakon 35mm f/0.95. It’s one hell of a fun lens, for want of a better word. Yes, it’s manual but helped by the manual focusing of the camera. Coloured outlines, ( you can choose which colour you like) for what ever is in focus. With the aperture of f/ 0.95 I had to use the fastest shutter speed! I am now waiting for the Venus Optics Laowa 65mm 2x macro lens, can’t wait!
If Canon don’t introduce something more exciting like these lenses soon, they won’t be able to sell any new ‘M’ lenses!
PS I also own a 5D III, 70D, 100D and find myself more and more taking out my little M50 because it is small and light and less of a ‘burden’

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Sorry admin but, no, an APS-C 52mm f2 lens is absolutely not the equivalent of a FF 85mm f2 lens, but rather of a FF 85mm f3.2 lens. I was really hoping for a 52mm lens of at least f1.4, which will be the equivalent of a FF 85mm f2.2 lens. I guess that Canon wants to keep this lens small, perhaps for it to even share a 43mm filter thread with the 22mm f2 and the 32mm f1.4, but subject separation is already not that great with the Sigma 56mm f1.4 used wide open, at least compared to the results of a FF 85mm f1.8 shot also wide open on a FF body and taking into account each lens' price. I am on the fence for a FF 85mm equivalent lens, as my current portraiture setup, a 50mm f1.8 STM+EF to M adapter, is not optimal size-wise, weight-wise, IQ-wise, or AF-wise, but given that the only current choice, the aforementioned Sigma, is relatively expensive for what it does (FF, native, 85mm f1.8 DSLR lenses are cheaper than it), and that this Canon 52mm f2 will probably be even more expensive (should cost around the same as the 32mm f1.4), my only possible and sensible choice will be the upcoming Viltrox 56mm f1.4, which its MTF chart points it to be somewhere between the Sigma 56mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8 STM.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I have a 17-55mm on an M6 right next to me and it's not a match made in heaven. The lens plus adapter absolutely dwarfs the body.

I think the M6 is an amazing hiking and travel camera. The 11-22mm lens is wonderful. I just wish there was similarly impessive standard zoom. I wonder how light a constant f/2.8 could be?
Unless Canon deviates from their heretofore limit of 2.4" diameter for EF-M lenses, there will never be a constant f/2.8 zoom. Hopefully a constant f/4 zoom is doable, but not a 2.8.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
According to canonwatch.com, the 100-300mm is f/5.6-f/8 which is very dark. But if the physical size is similar to the 55-200mm which easily fit in a small bag, I will still consider getting it. We can always adapt EF 70-300mm if we want a brighter telephoto zoom anyway.
It is dark indeed for an OVF equipped camera however with EVF a dark viewfinder isn’t an issue.
Focusing at F8.0 isn’t an issue. So...
Let’s look at the bright side: you focus at F8 and shoot at F8. no focus shift issue then :)

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
According to canonwatch.com, the 100-300mm is f/5.6-f/8 which is very dark. But if the physical size is similar to the 55-200mm which easily fit in a small bag, I will still consider getting it. We can always adapt EF 70-300mm if we want a brighter telephoto zoom anyway.

Absolutely right! I can’t say anything about large lenses, but with my EF 24-105 / 4 L IS USM lens and, especially, with the EF 70-300 / 4-5.6 IS II USM, it’s convenient to hold the camera in my hands.
And if you assume that IBIS and Canon will make the camera a little bigger and the grip deeper and even more convenient, then it will be great!

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
The 52 and 100-300 address both of the shortcomings I noted last month - a fast longer prime for portraits and low light, and a longer telephoto in the small form factor. I didn’t really expect the later so I’ve been using adapted EF 70-300s. With around a 40mm max entrance pupil on the EF-M I didn’t expect better than f/8 to keep the form factor. To get a small f/5.6, you are suddenly at the size of the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS II USM which you can already adapt. It will be interesting to see the size trade off for 1 stop.

Upvote 0
Good. I was just playing with my M6 II last night. It is a heckuva camera. In my opinion, Canon has the opposite issue that they are known for here, they now have a great camera but only ok lenses (not bad, but when you are used to "L" glass, there is room for improvement).

So, please, bring on the very good (ex...EFs 17-55 or EFs 15-85 equivalents) zoom lenses. I could easily see a 100-300. The M6 II actually pairs very nicely with my 70-300 L. But a smaller version would be great (300/5.6 = 54 mm, so maybe 55 or 58 mm front threads).

Agreed. And the build quality of the M6ii is excellent. Some reports mention better quality so i assume its weather sealed ? Strange that reports mentioned M6ii was replacement for M5ii. I prefer the removable EVF as I was weighing up against a Ricoh GR3.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Agreed. And the build quality of the M6ii is excellent. Some reports mention better quality so i assume its weather sealed ? Strange that reports mentioned M6ii was replacement for M5ii. I prefer the removable EVF as I was weighing up against a Ricoh GR3.

With what seems like a year between the M6II and rumoured M5II release, Canon wants people to keep buying cameras, not sit on their money for another year.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
...M6’s controls are all under left hand and the right supports the camera. Not at all comfortable with side swivel...

I don't understand, what you are complaining about: The M6 II doesn't have a "side swivel": It uses a screen that tilts up or down only. So this should be ideal for you.

And the controls are on the right side and the left hand mostly supports the lens. No idea what you mean with "M6’s controls are all under left hand and the right supports the camera".

If the M5 II comes, I really hope it has a full articulating screen. I'm not doing much video work but I miss my "side swivel" on the M6 all the time...

Upvote 0
No, the EF-M will be gone way after EF-S, which also doesn't show signs of discontinuation just yet.
There is really not much of an advantage for the RF-mount for APS-C lens design over EF-M. In fact, the flange distance is actually a little longer.

Of course there will be an APS-C RF-mount body eventually, but it will be made mainly for for telephoto work, it won't have cheap lenses like the EF-M.
I mean, there is a 7D Mark II but there are no lenses specifically designed for it. But it makes perfect sense for using it with FF higher-end telephoto lenses.

Yes, i think it will go this way: EF and EF-S will slowly fade out (no new lens design, maybe just one or two new lens so it doesn't look dead like sony A-mount), RF will be the bread and butter for canon even with some APS-C cameras: R7 and a 90D equivalent.

EF-M will be the powershoot and rebel substitute with small cameras and compact lenses.

Upvote 0