The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Not true. If you are shooting high burst rate raw, then the faster speed likely will work with the processor to get you more shots in before the buffer is full, no? And, although not a huge deal, it is faster if you shoot 1000 raw files to get them on your computer.

When I run my 7Dii with both cards, if I accidentally set it to the SD slot, the fps lags repeatedly while it tries to write.
When I first got my Canon R and used my old SD cards, the buffer would fill up pretty quickly. Once I upgraded to a 300mb (95mb-ish write speed) card, I've almost never filled the buffer, taking 15-20 burst photos at a time.

Upvote 0
Perhaps read what I wrote. Key phrases like "I imagine", "likely". And then separate facts such as 300MB/s vs 1200MB/s. Again, stay classy!
If you’re shooting weddings and you need that much burst you’re doing it wrong. If you’re shooting sports you’re going to be using a 1DX III.This camera represents a compromise between having a fully decked out pro body and cost. Also there’s no mention of bus speed for the CFexpress card. If it’s PCIe 2.0, then it doesn’t matter how fast the card is. If It is using PCIe 3.0 and they added a second CFexpress slot it would have raised the cost of the body even higher. 300MB/s is fast enough for 99% of photographers anyway. UHS ii is also backward compatible with UHS i so you can use your old SD cards if you want.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Totally agree. Compatibility is good but, I would prefer 2 CFExpress card slots, even though I would have to buy them. It is like buying an expensive triathlon bike and putting a cheap water bottle that will increase drag because you don't want to spend the money to buy an aerodynamic water bottle.
And also the price difference from a good SD UHS-II card and a CFexpress card is not too much. If you buy a 64gb 300mb/s SD UHS-II will be around 100/120€, the cfexpress Sandisk 64gb is around 140€ so the only positive is that if you already have the SD fast ones, you don´t need to buy more. I understand the option of Canon, but personally would prefer 2 cfexpress slots, though. I expect to use this camera for around 4 years, and i guess in 2 years SD will be declining...Not disapearing, but almost and being only in the entry level cameras. This is bad because manufacturers will also stop improving the cards...so you will have a "not so used" slot in 3/4 years. But well, it´s not a dealbreaker at all! :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If you’re shooting weddings and you need that much burst you’re doing it wrong. If you’re shooting sports you’re going to be using a 1DX III.This camera represents a compromise between having a fully decked out pro body and cost. Also there’s no mention of bus speed for the CFexpress card. If it’s PCIe 2.0, then it doesn’t matter how fast the card is. If It is using PCIe 3.0 and they added a second CFexpress slot it would have raised the cost of the body even higher. 300MB/s is fast enough for 99% of photographers anyway.

Only interested in animals. Weddings would not even remotely pay enough money to be worth it, major respect to anyone that has the patients to photograph a wedding.

Upvote 0
And everybody is assuming that the 2 slot is for duplicated photos, being cfexpress in raw and JPG in SD. But there are a lotof people including myself that uses the 2 slots for raw. When a card is full the camera records in the 2nd slot.

What's the point in the backup slot if you write raw to only one slot? I always write raw to the both. jpeg is basically useless for me. If I buy R5, I'll be writing raw to the both slots as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
I don't think this is totally accurate. It sounds like you are assuming raw to both cards, which I don't know why you would do that. If you shoot raw to the fast card and JPEG to the small card it shouldn't impact the buffer significantly should it?

There was a test of the 5D IV years ago that showed if you write RAW to both cards it is faster compared to if you write RAW to one and Jpeg to another. Presumably this was because the camera has to use processing power to create the jpeg. This could be moot with all the updated horsepower but it's something to check out when you get one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There was a test of the 5D IV years ago that showed if you write RAW to both cards it is faster compared to if you write RAW to one and Jpeg to another. Presumably this was because the camera has to use processing power to create the jpeg. This could be moot with all the updated horsepower but it's something to check out when you get one.

Upvote 0