The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Peterm

M50 and EOS R
Mar 14, 2018
Australia
For me, the only use of 2 cards is to shoot the same data on both cards. Insurance against card failure. I have been burnt before and will work only with cameras with 2 card slots and record identical information on both. I learn lessons and do not repeat my mistakes.

Have you had a SD UHS-II card fail?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Have you had a SD UHS-II card fail?
C-Fast failed. In Jerusalem. I was shooting an assignment on 1dx2. I realized at 4 pm that the card was not working. I was to film the next day. You have no idea how I managed to get a replacement. I had to have a photographer drive from Telaviv to get me his card. It was a rough rough evening.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
C-Fast failed. In Jerusalem. I was shooting an assignment on 1dx2. I realized at 4 pm that the card was not working. I was to film the next day. You have no idea how I managed to get a replacement. I had to have a photographer drive from Telaviv to get me his card. It was a rough rough evening.
You didn't need a failure to desire a system with a backup for redundancy to have peace of mind. I could use a single slot body, I don't NEED two slots but I have them and use them creatively, not for work/insurance/security. But I would not begrudge anyone who desires such a plan. It's silly to try and find holes in anyone's workflow. Do we all have to be the same? Please god no.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Because with the slower SD installed and the CFexpress also, max speed equals to that of the slower card. One will never get dual CFexpress bus speed. Thus one would have to remove the SD card for that CFexpress bus speed
And what a chore that is.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
You didn't need a failure to desire a system with a backup for redundancy to have peace of mind. I could use a single slot body, I don't NEED two slots but I have them and use them creatively, not for work/insurance/security. But I would not begrudge anyone who desires such a plan. It's silly to try and find holes in anyone's workflow. Do we all have to be the same? Please god no.
Please point where I put down anyone's plan? Where did I find a hole in anyone's workflow? LOL.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Please point where I put down anyone's plan? Where did I find a hole in anyone's workflow? LOL.
I was agreeing with you, I understand how responses to posts are typically argumentative in nature (as yours mistakenly was) I guess I did not write my feelings clear enough to convey the meaning. I apologize.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's ok! It is the internet... :)
I was being a bit sarcastic. I thought my point was crystal clear and that you should have picked up immediately that I was on your side of the discussion and just adding to it. But as with the internet you never know about context/inflection or if it is someone's 1st or other language. The problem with a keyboard? No gesticulation. Good night.

Upvote 0
But I understand what you are saying, and if you dont make photojournalism, sports or that wedding services, so it´s a good idea to shoot raw to both cards. We never know....;)
Yep, I was talking about my own workflow, my point was, everyone needs different setup, e.g. raw+jpeg or raw+raw etc.

As a side note. I haven't shot weddings but I've shot concerts and events and always used raw|raw in parallel. If I were shooting weddings, I'd also be using raw only. I never show unprocessed images to the clients and to anyone, unless it's for educational purposes. jpeg = unprocessed for me, because the genres/styles I shoot require artistic postprocessing.

20191130-IMG_5464-Edit.jpg

Photojournalism/sports may be a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
SD is not going to let you pull off 12/20 FPS 40+ MP/s. It's also going to greatly slow down dumping the data onto you computer.

There are UHS-II cards that can be read at 300MB/s. What drive can have data written to it at that speed? Then, nobody can post process images at 12 / 20 fps, so what does it matter anyway?

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
1gbs per channel write speed for CFexpress
640mbs for gen 2 UHS II Write speed. The camera will write at max speed of the slower slot if used togerher. Has been always the case.

I don't know camera architecture, but you could potentially use a dual bus and dedicated memory to deal with the slower speed of the SD card. I doubt Canon is going to release a high end camera that degrades the performance to the lower value. I have used this approach with my 1dx II (granted with a CFast card) when I wasn't carrying a laptop on the trip. I didn't use the approach that often since I didn't want to buy a lot of CFast cards for backup:
  • Buy 2 128GB Cfexpress cards
  • Slot 1 (Cfexpress) 128GB Write RAW
  • Slot 2.(SD UHS II). 128GB Write high quality Jpeg for loading on my iPad for review
  • At the end of the day insert fresh SD "backup" card and use Image Copy to create a backup of the 128GB Cfexpress card. You couldn't even use one of the slower UHS I cards if you had time and didn't want to buy the more expensive cards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0