The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Do you buy your cards from a guy in a van at Walmart?
not really:
the fastest SD-cards are more expensive than slow CFexpress cards (which are much faster still): I found
CFExpress: DeLOCK Flash R1550/W900: 256GB, write speed 900 MB/sec for 150 €
SD: UHS-II: Toshiba Exceria Pro N502 R270/W260: 256GB, write speed 260 MB/sec for 300 €

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
So, "overblown"...sure, for landscape/portrait photographers. Wildlife/sport photographers who want more than 20MP resolution, I think that is who is evaluating this a bit more critically.

As one of those wildlife types myself, I think they're setting themselves up for disappointment no matter what if they think they're getting a continuous AF 20FPS no artifact option, let alone in two slots. 12FPS/45MP in a '5D5' mirrorless is a very healthy improvement over the 5DIV, and is almost certainly going to be the real usable mode from a sports/wildlife perspective.

Not to mention this is all CR2 anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You mean one of those poser guitar belts that scream "steal me" from miles away already?

I have been seen buying cameras from the 80ies to harvest some
of those stealthy narrow nylon straps with rubber shoulder pieces
that shipped with AE-1 and A-1.
Yes! I still use the leather Martin strap I had for my Martin on my Yamaha guitar. I am the ultimate poser since I can't play a single chord right now. ;) It is all for appearances. ;) Almost the same for my Ukulele. There is something mystical about a hugely fat guy posing with a tiny Ukulele and huge 1960's vintage aloha shirt. :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Most electronic shutters (almost certainly including the one in the R5) have rolling shutter artifacts. Generally mechanical shooting is preferred for any sort of quick action.
. Wouldn’t this be a significant problem then for the 1DX3 live view shooting, the Sony a9 and A9ii and any future R1? All these cameras are 20 FPS or will be.. Maybe I’m not understanding something?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
. Wouldn’t this be a significant problem then for the 1DX3 live view shooting, the Sony a9 and A9ii and any future R1? All these cameras are 20 FPS or will be.. Maybe I’m not understanding something?

It depends a lot on the situation if its usable.

Article here, so for instance propellers can look odd, but a moving person/animal could be fine depending on the actual level of rolling shutter and personal standards.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Yes, many of my JPEGs are 25MB while CR3s are in the low 30s ...
I'm sure everyone can adjust the size of both their JPG and Raw files. I don't understand this whole conversation!! I record JPG's to one card and Raw's to the other if I have two slots. I record both files to my SD card in EOS R and once again, adjust size of files in the menu to meet my needs. What am I missing?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
My quote was for a Sandisk 1700/1200. For comparison a brand new R is $2500 as of now. FWIW my lowest ever paid job was $16 pr hour working retail. Average pay for a year is $60.000 here and $49000 in the US, so not crazy difference.
We pay 25% VAT on everything also. And average 25-30% tax on our salary. So it’s not that it’s just crazy expensive here, although it feels like it :p

my son needs a hearing aid, I just checked the price without insurance in the US, $50.000, he gets it for free, zip, zero, nothing.
I get that European prices are high and VAT & all, but the difference between $400 and $1000 is 250%. By that measure, an R would cost $4500 there ($1800 x 2.5). There seems to be a disconnect somewhere, but you certainly have my financial sympathy!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...in_extremepro_compactflash_express_256gb.html

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
not really:
the fastest SD-cards are more expensive than slow CFexpress cards (which are much faster still): I found
CFExpress: DeLOCK Flash R1550/W900: 256GB, write speed 900 MB/sec for 150 €
SD: UHS-II: Toshiba Exceria Pro N502 R270/W260: 256GB, write speed 260 MB/sec for 300 €
I've never heard of that brand of card. I guess I'm a bit of a memory snob. All I ever buy is Sandisk Extreme Pro for any type of camera memory. I've never had one fail and is probably why I've never jumped on the camera two card minimum bandwagon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would love it if the camera could be updated to include internal connectivity with third-party lighting gear from Godox, Profoto, etc. Of course that is probably never going to happen. Alternatively it could be sweet if canon started making portable strobes like the evolv200.

Also, I wonder if the old LP-6 batteries would work in this since it’s going to have a new high capacity battery sold with it...I have a couple of these sitting arounD and wouldn’t mind putting them to use.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I'm sure everyone can adjust the size of both their JPG and Raw files. I don't understand this whole conversation!! I record JPG's to one card and Raw's to the other if I have two slots. I record both files to my SD card in EOS R and once again, adjust size of files in the menu to meet my needs. What am I missing?
If I were to sum up this whole conversation, well, the reality is that most cameras write to both cards at the limiting cards write rate. So, by using the UHS II card, you are likely limiting the entire camera to ~180 MB/sec write rate (based on observed write rates to EOS-R with UHS II cards, not theoretical "up to" write rates). That is still really good, but after the buffer in the R5 is filled (and we do not know the size of the buffer), the R5's 12 fps will drop to 3-4 fps. If the buffer is small (I measured my M6 II at 1.85 secs and my 5DIV at 2.3 secs with SD card active), if you want to seemlessly use your cards in sequence, etc, this matters. Or, you turn off the SD card, and then you shoot with one card slot and have write rates that are something north of 800 MB/sec, or if you buy Type B, 2 TB/sec, and you render the SD card "useless" (I think that phrase set some people off, but technically, if you ain't using it :unsure:.....but this does not affect most users).

Also, and I do not believe this has been mentioned yet, but I think part of the sticker shock here for those of us that care is that in most previous iterations like the 5DIV, sure, there were two card slots, but the write rate from CF UDMA7 to SD UHS I was fairly close (~110 MB/sec to ~78 MB/sec). Here, we are talking about up to 2 TB/sec to 180 MB/sec, so an order of magnitude lower. Will this still be a great camera even if "limited" to UHS II, but this is a limitation compared to CFE write rates.

Also, sounds like you shoot jpg and RAW in different scenarios. Sounds like you do this for file size. If so, keep doing it (I often shoot this way too). But, if you care about fps, you might want to play with your camera. I've read and observed with my own cameras, RAW +JPG after buffer is full is actually slower than RAW + RAW. For example, on my 5DIV in todays test, RAW + RAW was 2 fps after buffer was filled. RAW + JPG was 1.5 fps.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I would love it if the camera could be updated to include internal connectivity with third-party lighting gear from Godox, Profoto, etc. Of course that is probably never going to happen. Alternatively it could be sweet if canon started making portable strobes like the evolv200.

I would like Canon to have their higher end cameras to have an RT controller built in so a flash wouldn't need to be on the camera for off-camera flash.

Also, I wonder if the old LP-6 batteries would work in this since it’s going to have a new high capacity battery sold with it...I have a couple of these sitting arounD and wouldn’t mind putting them to use.
Any battery that Canon labels LP-E6 will be compatible with any camera that takes an LP-E6. If a new battery was not compatible, Canon would change the name entirely...

Upvote 0
While I'd prefer having something other than SD for the second slot, it's plenty fast for photography work. I can see why those who are excited about video might be let down.

However...I'm still not sure I'll be jumping from my 5DM4's to Mirrorless with this camera. Is anyone considering this to possibly be a 5DM4 replacement? I'm sure I'll end up in the Mirrorless world, just not sure this is the body yet.

I'm thinking I'll wait to see the autofocus and what the next one will offer...

Upvote 0
Is anyone considering this to possibly be a 5DM4 replacement?
Yes. But only if it's 45Mp (which hopefully it is). If it's 40Mp, I'm not so sure. I'll be waiting for a higher-res version from Canon.

I'm hoping for 45Mp+ with dynamic range not worse than 5DIV. RF lenses, flip screen and IBIS are a bonus.

Upvote 0
Why would mechanical shutter be used more than an electronic one? Isn’t mechanical largely for flash photography or in old school lighting?
articifacts, DR,etc.

looking at photonsonphotos for instance, the 1DX Mark III takes a huge hit on DR when you use the electronic shutter. The R5 will probably be no different. Thus
it gets used as a 12fps camera in most cases.

Upvote 0