The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I always use my 5D without a strap. I've never found a strap convenient to use.
I joke, but I always have a Peak strap connection on the base and usually just use a wrist strap connected to it. With a normal strap, the camera carries much more naturally with one end on the left side connection and one on the base. I hate having a strap in the way of my controls, and this solves that as well.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Personally I do no video at all. Wasted tech on me. So all the discussion about the two card slots is pretty much academic despite exact one situation.

You are on travel, no camera shop near, no chance to mailorder something. Your CFExpress cards are full, no backup possible. That SD slot right there is your lifesaver. I shot with a crappy microSD card in an SD Adapter because that was the thing I can get in every mobile phone shop around the corner. Yes, slow but I was still able to shot.
This is so true and practical. Having a camera with an SD card can be a lifesaver in extreme situations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My gosh, aerodynamic water bottle?
Why does anyone pay attention to guys who use aerodynamic water bottles? And who wear sleeveless jerseys?

Sorry--off topic again!

I'm waiting for the camera that has interchangeable/convertable card slots. Six of 'em. You heard it here first!

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The sensor reads at 12 bit instead of 14 bit to reduce rolling shutter effects

What's curious is that the a9 doesn't take a DR hit when using the ES, but the 1DX mk. III does. Must have faster architecture? I hope the R1 (in contrast to the 1DX mk. III) has lighting-fast readout, enough to make ES viable in 95% of shooting conditions.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
That would increase camera cost and SSD tech has a finite amount of read and write capabilities.
Yes, but:
  • You have to pay for a card anyway.
  • 0.5TB M.2 are offered well under $100.
  • The same capacity in the CFE package costs about $500 now.
  • SSD controllers have wear leveling and extra capacity to replace "bad sectors" on the fly.
Anyway, I understand there are reasons they are not offered...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
While CanonRumors is really a nice site and most info provided is appreciated, I also do notice that info is provided slice by slice just in the right dosis to keep traffic alive ...
Oh, a conspiracy theorist are you? ;) I agree it does seem fishy.

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm sure everyone can adjust the size of both their JPG and Raw files. I don't understand this whole conversation!! I record JPG's to one card and Raw's to the other if I have two slots. I record both files to my SD card in EOS R and once again, adjust size of files in the menu to meet my needs. What am I missing?
Well, you are missing a second card slot in R, for starters. Therefore recording of a second file to the same card is..how?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Well, you are missing a second card slot in R, for starters. Therefore recording of a second file to the same card is..how?

Even on my 5DII with its single CF card I can write raw + jpeg... You have never needed two cards for that, and I don't think it could ever outrun the 150 MB/s CF card in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With two card slots with significantly different write speeds - Why shouldn't there be a configuration mode in which the images are written to the faster card first and later automatically copied to the slower card once the burst is over? Or only write to both cards simultaneously as long as there is enough space in the buffer, and once the buffer gets full switch to copy mode. In this case shooting would continue at the faster card's data rate, direct write to two cards (and therefore immediate backup) would be ensured for the number of images stored in the buffer, and automatic backup from card to card only for the images that won't fit in the buffer anymore. Risk of data loss if the faster card fails would then only affect those images at the end of a burst while being able to continuously shoot at the rate of the fast card.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
With two card slots with significantly different write speeds - Why shouldn't there be a configuration mode in which the images are written to the faster card first and later automatically copied to the slower card once the burst is over? Or only write to both cards simultaneously as long as there is enough space in the buffer, and once the buffer gets full switch to copy mode. [..]
I would guess that the perceived complexity of such a configuration item would make it a 1 series thing. I'd like to see this as a custom function, but I don't think we'll get it.

Upvote 0
There are issues in running both cards concurrently, with raw going to one card and Jpg going to the other. The SD cards have a much slower read / write speed. If the camera writes to the SD card, then the buffer is generally a lot smaller.
I first noticed this with a 5DIII, when switching between shooting weddings at weekends and wildlife during the week. I would use the 2nd card slot for jpgs. When I then went to shoot wildlife, my max buffer drops to around 4-5 shots. If I set RAW only and on the CF card, the buffer is up to 10-11 shots. I believe it's the same issue for the 5D4 / 5DSR too.

Upvote 0
I would guess that the perceived complexity of such a configuration item would make it a 1 series thing. I'd like to see this as a custom function, but I don't think we'll get it.
I don't see that this would be very complex to implement... but you may be right that that sort of mode could be reserved for 1 series (where, however, it is currently not necessary)

Upvote 0
Oh, a conspiracy theorist are you? ;) I agree it does seem fishy.

Jack
Jack, I believe he don´t understand that there are no free meals! Canonrumors guy gotta make a living! Of course he will not splash everything, even if he has more info he will make it "slice by slice". Seems to me obvious and boy, can we criticize that? :D

About the cards....Chill out on this one! This is only a potencial problem for those who make video and will be using this camera to shoot video. For Stills purposes, there will not be a problem at all! You have great cards SD UHS-II in the market and for stills they will be more than enough.
Of course this got pros and cons!

For me pros are:
- more card/card readers availability (most Mac and Pc have SD door)
- Possibility of using existing cards making less expensive buying new media.

Cons:
- Using 2 different type of media (hate it!!)
- Although there are great sd uhd-II cards they don´t match this new cfexpress and they are slower. This will be very bad for video shooting because you practically will be stuck with one slot. For serious filmmakers this will almost compel the use of external recorders. Or you will need to splash a big money in a 256gb/512gb cards

In stills you can have a problem if you choose crappy inexpensive UHD-I cards writing 60/80mb/s. Of course in that situations, if you are using 1 good card and other not so good, it will slow your reading therefore buffer will fill faster. With this UHS-II cards you don´t have that problem 98% of the times. They are fast...Of course, this will be a powerful camera that will ask for powerful cards.Unless you use the camera for types of photo that really don´t need those 20fps or even 12 fps. For most types of photo any UHS-II card will be fine!

Upvote 0
Yes, I agree, the issue is overblown for most practical purposes. If the buffer is large enough and you are willing to invest heavily in the very fastes SDcards, noone will almost ever notice.

But, Canon could easily have done better (assuming this rumour is right).

Easily don't know about that. The "holy grail" on the internet the A9 uses SD. That being said I think Canon will do better with the R1. Depending on your definition of better.

Upvote 0