The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
This is rather off topic, but I've never understood the attitude - if you can afford X, you must be able to afford Y and Z on top. I'd think most people have a finite budget - and tradeoffs are made in different ways.

True, but as a percent of the cost the difference is minuscule. Also how many use a credit card to purchase and make payments? Thus that minuscule difference might be $.01 a month.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Calm down, dude. Overwrought are the people having continuous (post after post) hissy fits over something they already know isn't happening. Nothing wrong with wanting two matching slots. There is plenty wrong with continuously griping over something that IS NOT HAPPENING ALREADY. Children. Now please, carry on with your next 50 overwrought nightly posts.

BTW: I never said that any post that doesn't agree with my own is overwrought... that happens to be your own characterization. Project much?

Also, I too would prefer matching cards... BUT IT AIN'T HAPPENING. No sense crying over spilled milk.
You rock, you tell MC how it is.

Upvote 0
The fact remains, though, that iCloud was not hacked. The iCLoud accounts of gullible individuals who gave away account info when they should have known better, were.

IMHO, social engineering is a form of hacking. Not all photographers are tech savvy, in this sense, hence my criticism of cloud usage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree with this but also see the other side. On a more practical point; if you can afford the SD card, you can afford the CFE card.

I can only speak for myself (though I'd expect this is not uncommon), but I have SD cards already. If I bought a new camera, and was pushing the budget, I'd use those until I could justify the purchase of the new kind. If the difference in performance is as massive as some are describing here, that would likely be a priority, but I'd hold off as long as possible to even out my expenditure.

True, but as a percent of the cost the difference is minuscule. Also how many use a credit card to purchase and make payments? Thus that minuscule difference might be $.01 a month.

You're not wrong, although to some of us, every penny counts :)

As a general point here, I get that some people want the best of everything, but that's rarely if ever the case. Admittedly I'm much more laid back because I almost never shoot with two cards in at once, and have no strong feelings about different formats (I'm not a high fps type), though I did invest in a higher-speed and -resolution CF card after getting the 5Ds. I'm sure Canon's reasoning in offering mixed card slots is based on experience and feedback, anyhow.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Not all UHS-II cards will allow the EOS R to write that fast to them. Only the fastest cards tested wrote that fast, though there were more than a few in the 175-180 MB/s range. There were also more than a few UHS-II cards that could do no better than 75-105 MB/s.

What specific card were you using in your test of the M6 Mark II?
Very true. These are all "up to" type of numbers and it is impressive the variety you see with different cards.

As for what I tested in the M6 II, it was a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB, 300 MB/sec, UHS II (SDHC II) card.
I actually picked it off the list from cameramemoryspeed, rated at 174 MB/sec on the EOS-R, plus the UHS-I memory cards I was comparing it too were both Sandisk Extreme Pros.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I can only speak for myself (though I'd expect this is not uncommon), but I have SD cards already. If I bought a new camera, and was pushing the budget, I'd use those until I could justify the purchase of the new kind. If the difference in performance is as massive as some are describing here, that would likely be a priority, but I'd hold off as long as possible to even out my expenditure.

I have CFE and CF cards, and would expect any 5D owner would have a number of CF cards as the SD slot on the 3 and 4 is only worthwhile as a backup and the 5D and 5DII where CF only. I do not own a single SD card, they tend to be in consumer models like the xxxD series and point and shoots so other than way back when I had my 550D, I have never owned one.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I'm going to budget for camera + €1000 so when it's released and I have saved enough I can buy the camera, grip, matching card(s) and extra batteries. That does move the purchase out a considerable time, but it's not like my current setups magically stops working when R5 preorders open :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I'm going to budget for camera + €1000 so when it's released and I have saved enough I can buy the camera, grip, matching card(s) and extra batteries. That does move the purchase out a considerable time, but it's not like my current setups magically stops working when R5 preorders open :)

You could start buying CFE cards now, I have a small collection(though I do have a body to put on them). I know they'll drop in price a lot with them being the main media for Nikon and Canon going forward, but I also fear they'll be a sudden jump in demand for them soon.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong, but one complaint about mirrorless is that the sensor is exposed while not in use , and the eos r didn't have asensor protector or lock up, built in, while other manufacturers did have one. so i'm hoping this R5 DOES have something like that.

Quite opposite. One of the most acclaimed Canon EOS features is: shutter close when changing lenses. I would imagine that R5 has been designed the same way

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0