Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

Here are more pictures:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
This is all so titillating. How many more weeks until we get to see the 100-500 extended? Not that I'm interested in such a lens...
How many more weeks before they release the prices and the release dates!!! Got some big trips coming up that I'd really like to try the R5 and 100-500 out on vs my 7DMII and 100-400. I've used the R + 100-400 + 1.4x in certain birding sit and get just as good/better 7D combo. You have to pick the right situation. Files are great though.
Catherine

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
Here are more pictures:

It definitely look like a "muscle" R or a "baby" 5D :)

The 100-500 is weird now because new, but could be a hit, like the EF 100-400 II.
I think they want to make a versatile product for nature photographers and movie makers, but not for the ones that are rich enough to buy expensive big whites or specific movie lenses.
A competitor for a Sigma 150-600 Sport but much lighter, even if they had to cut the range at 500 and close the aperture.
I bet the price will be between the RF 24-240 and the RF 70-200 so arround 2000 (€), that is also a price near the EF 100-400 II, same kind of lense.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The 100-500 is weird now because new, but could be a hit, like the EF 100-400 II.

I would rather a 200-500 f/5.6, but think the 100-500 is going to be something special. Canon gave it equal attention to the R5 which heavily suggests at least they think it is a big deal. It looks like as with the 70-200, they are showing us the can take a popular lens and give it a little extra for the same or a more compact package.

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Obviously you care enough to reply. Why be a rude douche "jazzytune" ???
Your post was useless and didn't bring anything to the discussion!
Imagine if everybody on this forum started to go on posts about any cameras to mention that they aren't interesting at all in them?

Upvote 0

Valdormar_Hauslendale

Life Is Not Complicated, We Are
Nov 20, 2018
USA
Your post was useless and didn't bring anything to the discussion!
Imagine if everybody on this forum started to go on posts about any cameras to mention that they aren't interesting at all in them?
OMG, I'll go cry now. "jazzytune" I just Imagine a world without little pencil-necks like you in it.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
Hello,

Here is an interview (in french) of some CANON's head directors. It is illustrated with pictures of R/R5 with new 24-105 and 100-500.

https://phototrend.fr/2020/03/interview-canon-japon-fev-2020/

And here is a summary (feb 27th) - sorry for the mistakes :

What is the logistics investment behind 2020 Olympics ?
Rugby world cup 2019 was a big testing for them to prepare 2020 Olympics and the 20' decade
70% of the photographer were with canon cameras, for Olympics they want more
They want to put in place a big CPS to support the professionnals (several engineers, +1000 lenses, frames to rent... )

What are specificities of Japanese Market ?
Japanese market has a very high volume of Mirrorless compared to the rest of the world.
They think the world will evolve as Japan in the future

Thoughts on global market ?
They want to focus on "high amateurs", as it is 30% of the market, but in the same time they think the global market will be decreasing another year (-15%)

What to do to counter smartphones increase of capabilities ?
They want to keep the better picture quality as possible.
They plan to stay on the wider apertures, and maximum pixels volume, to stay were smartphone cannot be.
They think as TV screens are wider and wider, pictures with big quality and lot of informations (obtained with their cameras) will keep advantages for consumers

Why do they decided to launch R5 just now in 2020?
They wanted to make it after a test period with R and RP
They wanted also to offer a second camera for 1DXiii shooters, aligned on the Olympics calendar

DSLRs place in the future ?
ML will be a priority. They don't know if DSLRs will remain or not.

EOS-M and APSC future?
They think some customer want compact lenses, and they think EOS-M is an option to do that
They want to developp something for this kind of need, but it is confidential now

How do they see the ML market?
There is a change in the main market because of ML
the volume is still on the low costbut without big investment from manufacturer
it is too early to make analsysis, the market is too young.

18 months after Eos R was put in the market, are you satisfied with the results?
Not completely satisfied, want to sell more
The R5 is here to increase the movement

What is behind such a big Dynamism fro CANON in 2020 compared to last years ?
2020 is a big step, Olympics but also a new decade
Japan Emperor has also changed, it is a big change in the Japanese culture.
they think 2020 will be as 1980 (in term of technologies progress ?)

Can we see more low cost RF lenses like RF 24-240 and new RF 24-105 in the next months/years?
First they began the RF lenses with big apperture to show the world the capabilities of the RF mount.
Then, yes, now they want to developp the range with all type of lenses, including low cost lenses.

About EF lenses, and the rumors that they stopped to develop new products
With 140M of EF users they still listen to them
If they hear the users need new products, they will developp these. No more details

About Image.canon, the cloud
2020 was not a target, it is more the fact that 5G is coming.
Canon is a hardware manufacturer, but as a leader, they have to supports users after the shot, until picture is developped.
They want to streamline the workflow with connection between cameras and softwares.
They also want it to be able to help the users to improve themself, giving them advices on the lights or exposure for exemple.
it is also for professionnals, to use online services.
They had strong feedbacks using it and 5G connection during Rugby world cup 2019. they want to do it again during Olympics.

What are next big innovations for the decade?
There are pictures difficult or impossible to shoot now, they want to work on these, to make it possible.
They want to increase pleasure for users, with 5G, cloud and IA it will be posible.
they will develop datas processing for users and B2B
8K also will be a major improvement, not only for movie makers, but also for still photographers, taking pictures into the ruch to make stills.

Smartphone are showing that hardware is now as important as software, thoughts?
They think even if soft are now essentials, hardware will remain important because it stay the tool of the moment of the shot
Ressources will be a key to process more on the softwares, so they want to invest into this
Today they work with sub contractors on software, but maybe one dayif they have the oportunity, a software editor could be acquired to make them internally

Has Coronavirus an effect on CANON ?
Some parts are manufactured on supplier's factories in china so it has an impact
(since this interview, they closed factories)

Coronavirus delay on product launching?
Maybe (they were analysing it at the moment) but if so, they want to minimize it at maximum.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jazzytune

Sep 6, 2019
Hello,

Here is an interview (in french) of some CANON's head directors. It is illustrated with pictures of R/R5 with new 24-105 and 100-500.

Thank you for the article, very interesting! My first language is French, so it was nice and easy to read! ;-)

By the way, I ran 4 o 5 paragraphs of the article through Google translate (French to English) and the translation was pretty accurate. So, that's a good option if one wants to read the article.

Upvote 0

jazzytune

Sep 6, 2019
Hello,

I like this part:

Shoji Kaihara: as you may know, 18 months ago, we launched the EOS R, then the EOS RP, and with this new system on the market, we received a lot of feedback from customers: what they thought, what was good, what worked, what didn't work, what they wanted to see.

So we thought it was very important to us to collect what customers felt using EOS R and RP, in order to create a model we could be proud of, what we could call a second generation. The purpose was to make sure that we had covered the basics, so to speak. And we had the 2020 Olympics in mind, so we thought it was a great opportunity to showcase this model of which we are proud in 2020.

I want to tell you that we are in the final stages of developing the EOS R5 and are in the process of refining it. You’ll know we’re proud of it when it’s released and I think you’ll enjoy it.

Go Tokura: for Canon, we are positioning this EOS R5 as the companion of the new EOS 1D-X Mark III, so we know we have to get it out in time for the Olympics and it will be done.

Upvote 0