Even with NAB cancelled Canon still plans to announce a new Cinema Camera shortly

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
NAB 2020 was supposed to take place next month but was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic yesterday. I have been told this won’t stop Canon from announcing new products that were scheduled to be showcased at the show.
I believe the Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III will be announced, though I haven’t confirmed the name of the cinema camera. The specifications for the new camera are vague, but we do believe it’ll have the same form factor as the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II and will be equipped with a Super35 sized image sensor. I have also been told that the camera will shoot 4K @ 120fps internally.
More to come…

Continue reading...

I really want and hope it has 4K 120 but at the same time I don’t even think I care and I know that no one cares that I may or may not care but the c200 is honestly a pretty incredible camera and yes we all know it was terrible that it didn’t come with the 10 bit 422 but the money you save on a C 200 over say a C 500 is massive for a minimal improvement on low light capabilities and you could buy a couple of hard drives and not worry about anything data related. This c300mkiii should be priced around 10k but knowing canon it will be around 13-15

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon hasn't yet got the memo that like the $3500 DSLR, the age of bulky, fat margin cine cameras is coming to an end. If they haven't they will soon.
Nothing is coming to an end in the $3500 DSLR world and neither with the bulky cine cameras. Please keep nonsense like that to yourself.
All that Canon has to do in order to... not screw it up... is put the RF mount on the new C300 and add 4K@120p.
Done! That camera will sell like hot cakes!

Regarding expensive DSLRs - those will stay for another 10+ years unchallenged in Sports photography due to the limitations of mirrorless technology when it comes to fast frame rates for stills and AF performance on fast moving subjects.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
All that Canon has to do in order to... not screw it up... is put the RF mount on the new C300 and add 4K@120p.
Considering there is the new C500 MKII is there any real hope of an RF mount Cinema camera as EF is very established in the Cine world?

And will the video pople spending C300/C500 money want to adapt EF cine and photo lenses to an RF C300. I'm not fully up to speed on the Cinema range but is the mount interchangeable to accommodate shorter flange distance RF lenses?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Considering there is the new C500 MKII is there any real hope of an RF mount Cinema camera as EF is very established in the Cine world?

And will the video pople spending C300/C500 money want to adapt EF cine and photo lenses to an RF C300. I'm not fully up to speed on the Cinema range but is the mount interchangeable to accommodate shorter flange distance RF lenses?
The short Flange distance is nice because you can put a lot of lens variants on it, but in the film world or at least lots of people i work with are those who don’t like change. They will only hop on the band wagon when it becomes cool;they are like DSLR users, they will bitch forever then forget they ever bitches then act like they were the leaders to the brave new world. The Ef and pl play nicely and they are probably the most used lens mounts. I would like Rf mounts on everything so I could use the vari nd adapter cause that thing is awesome.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

The Cinema line is built to use with Cinema EF Glass. The native mount will keep being EF unless/until that changes. Canon has PL mount versions as well. As of now, the RF line is too new and built for now for the MILC shooters, not cinema.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
The short Flange distance is nice because you can put a lot of lens variants on it, but in the film world or at least lots of people i work with are those who don’t like change. They will only hop on the band wagon when it becomes cool;they are like DSLR users, they will bitch forever then forget they ever bitches then act like they were the leaders to the brave new world. The Ef and pl play nicely and they are probably the most used lens mounts. I would like Rf mounts on everything so I could use the vari nd adapter cause that thing is awesome.

Why do you want a vari ND adapter on a cinema camera? The C200 already has 10 stops of built in ND, what do you need more than that for?

Upvote 0
Why do you want a vari ND adapter on a cinema camera? The C200 already has 10 stops of built in ND, what do you need more than that for?
Im not being specific to the c200, but some times you might want more than ten stops. I was filming the other day with my c200 and was in the extended range and at f22 so I would be ok with more at times. If you are in the sun and don’t have Skrims or a matte box more is nice. Also if I’m shooting 24fps-120 I’m not going over 1/240th of a sec so more control is nice sometimes. I have no Rf mounts but if they make Rf cinema that shit will sell like hot cakes for a litany of reasons.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
The Cinema line is built to use with Cinema EF Glass. The native mount will keep being EF unless/until that changes. Canon has PL mount versions as well. As of now, the RF line is too new and built for now for the MILC shooters, not cinema.
Considering Canon has openly acknowledged they are no longer developed EF glass it does send a rather confusing message.

I always considered the EOS Cinema cameras were the logical step up for the DSLR movie makers before hitting the big league. If the future is R for the next generation of cinema photographers what does that mean?

I’m no next genna (too old) but I’m staying clear until the C100,C200 or C300 went RF as this year I plan to switch to the R5 and RF glass doing forward.

Upvote 0
The real question here is... "can they put Rf mount adapter on their EF Cinema lenses? If not then we won't see Rf cinema body very soon. Sumire cinema lenses just announced and you expect that Canon will drop the support of them with an RF cine body? Only if they can change the mount of their cinema lenses to RF and I don't have a clue if its possible.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Maybe Canon hasn't yet got the memo that like the $3500 DSLR, the age of bulky, fat margin cine cameras is coming to an end. If they haven't they will soon.

Bulky? Really? The C series are pretty damn small. Maybe not compared to your cell phone, but compared to other real cameras. Heck, I have batteries that weigh more than most C series bodies and are probably close to the same volume.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
The real question here is... "can they put Rf mount adapter on their EF Cinema lenses? If not then we won't see Rf cinema body very soon. Sumire cinema lenses just announced and you expect that Canon will drop the support of them with an RF cine body? Only if they can change the mount of their cinema lenses to RF and I don't have a clue if its possible.

No. EF lenses are designed for the much deeper EF flange depth. The best you can hope for is an RF mount camera and use an EF mount adapter on it.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011

I‘ve shot with fixed density ND my whole career(mostly 0, 2, 4, 6 stop internal turret), but don’t knock c.VeND(continuously variable electronic ND) until you’ve used it in real life. It becomes one of those ‘must have’ features, quickly.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
No. EF lenses are designed for the much deeper EF flange depth. The best you can hope for is an RF mount camera and use an EF mount adapter on it.
While I make do with adapting all my Caon lenses onto a £3K Sony stills camera, I wouldn’t want to spend between £10,000 - £20,000 on a C300 or C500 and have to use adapters on my nice new Cinema camera to use RF glass.

I’d just pass and make do with a much cheaper R5 or what I already own.

Does no more EF lens development extend to Cinema EF?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Im not being specific to the c200, but some times you might want more than ten stops. I was filming the other day with my c200 and was in the extended range and at f22 so I would be ok with more at times. If you are in the sun and don’t have Skrims or a matte box more is nice. Also if I’m shooting 24fps-120 I’m not going over 1/240th of a sec so more control is nice sometimes. I have no Rf mounts but if they make Rf cinema that shit will sell like hot cakes for a litany of reasons.

In bright sunlight I've sometimes wanted more than the six stops on the C100, I've never hit 10 stops on the C200 and needed more. And that's to shoot at f1.4 in direct sunlight... 10 stops and f/22 - what were you shooting? The sun?

No cinema cameras sell like hot cakes... They're a niche products for a niche market.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
While I make do with adapting all my Caon lenses onto a £3K Sony stills camera, I wouldn’t want to spend between £10,000 - £20,000 on a C300 or C500 and have to use adapters on my nice new Cinema camera to use RF glass.

I’d just pass and make do with a much cheaper R5 or what I already own.

Does no more EF lens development extend to Cinema EF?

A C200 is under £5K. For people who need a video camera, not a stills camera or hybrid, having built in NDs, XLRs, decent sized batteries etc. is worth paying a small amount more for. Canon's C series have also tended to produce much better video than their DSLRs.

A c500 mii is £14k, but honestly, if you're contemplating getting one, you're not in the market for a hybrid camera.

And no one is adapting RF glass to anything. An RF camera would have an RF mount. An EF camera isn't using RF lenses.

Upvote 0