High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
So true. Print magazine resolution is not high or large. Even fashion billboards are not high resolution.

But isn't it nice to have "room to play with" so to speak? Shoot further out so you can crop in as needed per the art director, etc.....leaving headroom choices if needed, etc?

Higher resolution than you need make it nice to be able to reframe as needed and not worrying about losing too much resolution....

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But isn't it nice to have "room to play with" so to speak? Shoot further out so you can crop in as needed per the art director, etc.....leaving headroom choices if needed, etc?

Higher resolution than you need make it nice to be able to reframe as needed and not worrying about losing too much resolution....

C
Never said it wouldn’t be nice. I believe a poster had commented that Canon should be focused on a high resolution camera for fashion photographers. Isn’t Canon already working on a high resolution camera? Yes.

Then I was agreeing with another poster about his experience at his lab in the past.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I don't like that much of MP...you have already problems with 5Ds/r for wildlife etc... because of microshutterings etc.
You really need shorter exposure times with more pixel to have sharp images.
Do you actually have or actually shot a 5DsR? I have, and do. Sharpest camera I have owned. Yes, you sometimes need a higher shutter speed. Sometimes you have to improve your technique. For landscape you might need a tripod for max sharpness. It's not the cameras fault. This photo was taken at 1/60 sec handheld. I'm 69 years old. The camera is not the problem.Spike2003Bweb.jpg

Spike2003BCropWeb.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Do you actually have or actually shot a 5DsR? I have, and do. Sharpest camera I have owned. Yes, you sometimes need a higher shutter speed. Sometimes you have to improve your technique. For landscape you might need a tripod for max sharpness. It's not the cameras fault. This photo was taken at 1/60 sec handheld. I'm 69 years old. The camera is not the problem.View attachment 189254

View attachment 189255
Not saying the other guy was doing this: We have people here all the time who are experts with gear they have never tried, much less seen. If some youtuber with crappy technique, but a high following, writes up a bad review it is taken as gospel, internalized as personal experience/knowledge, and spread around like so much peanut butter. The age of the internet, and a google search, has spawned an army of doctors, attorneys, engineers, etc., that have no idea what the f they are talking about and are not mentally equipped to critically think. Sheep. That's what they call them. Baaaaa! ;) Please excuse my crappy punctuation as I am on my 4th Red's Wicked Apple as I scour the web for toilet paper. I've done the best I can as I itch, squirm, and slur. :) Soooooooo glad I saved all those National Geographics. And no.... no matter how many clicks Kim K. gets, her huge butt is not pretty. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Very nice photo. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I really look forward to having this camera and an R5 in my bag with some sick f/2 zooms and 1.2 primes. #dreamingfromhome
The U.S.A. is getting ready to give every adult at least $1,000 in fiat currency whether we need it or not. I don't have to tell you where that money is going. ;) I am placing an ad on Craigslist for sister wives as we speak. I am 110% behind rehabilitating Japan's economy. MJGA!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
The U.S.A. is getting ready to give every adult at least $1,000 in fiat currency whether we need it or not. I don't have to tell you where that money is going. ;) I am placing an ad on Craigslist for sister wives as we speak. I am 110% behind rehabilitating Japan's economy. MJGA!

Are you sure you will get a check? Note: ' ... “I think it’s clear we don’t need to send people who make a million dollars a year checks,” Mnuchin said ...'

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Are you sure you will get a check? Note: ' ... “I think it’s clear we don’t need to send people who make a million dollars a year checks,” Mnuchin said ...'
I hate to rattle your faith in the system, but on very rare and far between occasions, there can sometimes be a disconnect between what a government agency says and what it does...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I hate to rattle your faith in the system, but on very rare and far between occasions, there can sometimes be a disconnect between what a government agency says and what it does...
It is an election year and I have zero faith in the system.. While I happen to be a very fiscally conservative guy, these vote buying idiots in Washington D.C. will never let a crisis go to waste. People here (The U.S.A.) seem not to grasp the idea that the two main parties are two sides of the same exact coin. I , personally, would like to see some sanity and fiscal restraint, but it ain't gonna happen. Both parties spend far beyond what is taken in. As a result, I'll give the $ to Japan. Democrat or Republican? In practice they are they same damn thing. I'll vote with my $ for the RF party.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That is a rather STUNNING PHOTO!

It really shows the size of the trees! Because you said Redwood, I am assuming that's either Sequoia National Park or Redwood Forest in California, although I HAVE seen a few Douglas Firs almost as big as that one in Northwestern Vancouver Island! Where was that photo taken?

--

Redwood National Park. The redwood was 23 feet average diameter, so likely twice the width of BC's biggest Douglas fir.

This redwood below will also see an EOS R5 if I get one, for another of several repeats in different weather during different seasons.

Plaid_Darkmdv.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hah! While I’m retired, I still remember very well how fashion works from my film lab. We would get large, for the day, files of 33mp. For the photogs who didn’t do anything other than the “clicks”. And a lot didn’t want to learn anything about digital other than for the clicks. But as soon as the files were sent to the studio, either advertising, or designer, those files would be reduced to half the rez.

the truth is that for that work, high rez files aren’t necessary, except for a very few uses. Most purposing is for catalog and magazine, with most of the rest used for online.

---

In our case for product PDF files, I print at 2400 dpi (Dots Per Inch) or about 600 ppi pixels per inch CMYK using a 4x4 dots structure, so I want the highest resolution possible. Even a 100, 200 or 400 megapixels is NOT enough to do 72 by 48 inch 2400 dpi prints even with error diffusion turn on.

100 megapixels would be IDEAL for 8x10 at 1200 dpi (or 600 ppi using 2x2 structure for CMYK dots) and Canon would make a fortune by replacing all the Phase Ones and Hasselblads out there if they kept their body to a larger version of the 1Dx Mk3 body style with its EXCELLENT ruggedness AND priced to less than $20,000 !!!

There are just too many fashion/product photogs I know who would SWITCH in an instant for a Canon 100 megapixel monster with 70mm sized sensor and 16-bits per RGB colour channel ! With an f/1.2 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lens Canon would OWN the Fashion and Product Catalog Photography industry in mere days of the introduction of such a larger version of a 1Dxmk3 body-style ruggedized Super-MF+ camera!

--

--

Upvote 0
Please excuse my crappy punctuation as I am on my 4th Red's Wicked Apple as I scour the web for toilet paper. I've done the best I can as I itch, squirm, and slur. :) Soooooooo glad I saved all those National Geographics. And no.... no matter how many clicks Kim K. gets, her huge butt is not pretty
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Buy some toilet paper rolls instead. :D

• Haha
Upvote 0
Redwood National Park. The redwood was 23 feet average diameter, so likely twice the width of BC's biggest Douglas fir.

This redwood below will also see an EOS R5 if I get one, for another of several repeats in different weather during different seasons.

View attachment 189259

YUP !!! You're right! Just looked it up that the Red Creek Fir in British Columbia is only 14 feet in diameter or 63% of the size of the 22 feet diameter Sequoia/Redwood you photographed above! That BC Fir is plenty big too but your Redwood is TRULY A MONSTER SIZE TREE!!!

For some reason it always seemed so much bigger than a mere 14 feet in diameter! --- Oh well. My bad!

--

I am STILL impressed by your photo !!! What a Monster Tree !!! I always end driving right on past the area so I never get to visit...gotta make a detour some day to see it in person !!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A 324 Megapixel file? Crazy clients. Do they really pint a 10x10 foot print at 150dpi? Who can print that? And why?

Actually, 324 megapixels and 18k by 18k pixel isn't actually all that large! If I remember correctly one of the manufacturer signs draped over the ENTIRE FACE of a Las Vegas hotel (i.e. I think it was Microsoft who made the sign for their products but I am not sure anymore) during a long-ago Comdex show (2003?) that was a 32,000 by 32,000 pixels file (i.e. the limit of the Windows RGB BMP file format at one gigapixel) and had to be printed in sections at an error-diffusioned 400 dpi (or about 200 ppi CMYK)

These days for aerospace imagery, our LARGEST SINGLE PHOTO is 131,072 by 131,072 pixels (17.17 Gigapixels) at 32-bits per channel (128-bits RGBA) taken by a 400mm by 400mm CMOS single-silicon-slice etched sensor so that is quite large for such a lower-than-low-Earth-orbit platform, although I have heard in "Certain Black Budget Circles" there are LARGER SENSORS (2x2 metres!) up in space right now which have MUCH LARGER photosites (i.e. 122 microns) and lower resolution (16k by 16k pixels) for deep space work! I would expect that at 122 microns per photosite, the clarity and light-gathering power would be WAAAAAAAAAAAY BEYOND anything seen in the "White Budget World" !!!

--

Last edited:
Upvote 0