High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

YUP !!! You're right! Just looked it up that the Red Creek Fir in British Columbia is only 14 feet in diameter or 63% of the size of the 22 feet diameter Sequoia/Redwood you photographed above! That BC Fir is plenty big too but your Redwood is TRULY A MONSTER SIZE TREE!!!

For some reason it always seemed so much bigger than a mere 14 feet in diameter! --- Oh well. My bad!

--

I am STILL impressed by your photo !!! What a Monster Tree !!! I always end driving right on past the area so I never get to visit...gotta make a detour some day to see it in person !!!

That's somewhat normal just how it can seem sometimes around the biggest. When we found some new discoveries the past few years, it took several weeks to figure out where on the totem pole or "food chain" the trees ranked. Once trees surpass a certain size, it can become challenging to perceive what's really there.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Have you tried to buy some today??!!
As the restaurants have closed in our area, and people are now eating at home, the grocery stores are now running out of many items including eggs, milk, meats, etc. This is going to be a much more impactful event than the real estate crash in 2008.

Upvote 0
As the restaurants have closed in our area, and people are now eating at home, the grocery stores are now running out of many items including eggs, milk, meats, etc. This is going to be a much more impactful event than the real estate crash in 2008.

That may be short term. If restaurants don't sell as many eggs, the distributors who can't sell to wholesale warehouses can simply divert the flow of eggs and bacon to the grocery store's increased demand. Just takes a few phone calls and contract changes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That may be short term. If restaurants don't sell as many eggs, the distributors who can't sell to wholesale warehouses can simply divert the flow of eggs and bacon to the grocery store's increased demand. Just takes a few phone calls and contract changes.
True, except that in many cases it will also require packaging changes for retail sales regulations to be met. That happens at the factory. Many of the wholesale warehouses for restaurant supply are going to have to either discard or donate. In the meantime, people who don’t understand how all this works see empty shelves and start panic buying, making things worse for a while.

Companies that supply exclusively to the restaurant industry are going to be in a world of hurt.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Are you sure you will get a check? Note: ' ... “I think it’s clear we don’t need to send people who make a million dollars a year checks,” Mnuchin said ...'

I don't make a million dollars a year...so, yep, I should be eligible ......

:)

And yes, my $1K is going towards gear for me too.....

C

Upvote 0
True, except that in many cases it will also require packaging changes for retail sales regulations to be met. That happens at the factory. Many of the wholesale warehouses for restaurant supply are going to have to either discard or donate. In the meantime, people who don’t understand how all this works see empty shelves and start panic buying, making things worse for a while.

Companies that supply exclusively to the restaurant industry are going to be in a world of hurt.

Like those little ketchup packets, black bars to scour grill tops or "Boyds" coffee. My dad used to have 3 restaurants about 40 years ago when I was much younger. I used to pick up supplies at the cash and carry for him.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
---

In our case for product PDF files, I print at 2400 dpi (Dots Per Inch) or about 600 ppi pixels per inch CMYK using a 4x4 dots structure, so I want the highest resolution possible. Even a 100, 200 or 400 megapixels is NOT enough to do 72 by 48 inch 2400 dpi prints even with error diffusion turn on.

100 megapixels would be IDEAL for 8x10 at 1200 dpi (or 600 ppi using 2x2 structure for CMYK dots) and Canon would make a fortune by replacing all the Phase Ones and Hasselblads out there if they kept their body to a larger version of the 1Dx Mk3 body style with its EXCELLENT ruggedness AND priced to less than $20,000 !!!

There are just too many fashion/product photogs I know who would SWITCH in an instant for a Canon 100 megapixel monster with 70mm sized sensor and 16-bits per RGB colour channel ! With an f/1.2 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lens Canon would OWN the Fashion and Product Catalog Photography industry in mere days of the introduction of such a larger version of a 1Dxmk3 body-style ruggedized Super-MF+ camera!

--

--
You’re not talking about the vast majority of work out there, which is, at most, a double page spread at 150lpi, that reauires 266 dpi in the image file. That’s even an extreme for most work. We did a picture of Bombay Sapphire that went on the side of a skyscraper (Special printing, and numerous prints). That was over a dozen stories high. The original image was just 8mp.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
---

In our case for product PDF files, I print at 2400 dpi (Dots Per Inch) or about 600 ppi pixels per inch CMYK using a 4x4 dots structure, so I want the highest resolution possible. Even a 100, 200 or 400 megapixels is NOT enough to do 72 by 48 inch 2400 dpi prints even with error diffusion turn on.

100 megapixels would be IDEAL for 8x10 at 1200 dpi (or 600 ppi using 2x2 structure for CMYK dots) and Canon would make a fortune by replacing all the Phase Ones and Hasselblads out there if they kept their body to a larger version of the 1Dx Mk3 body style with its EXCELLENT ruggedness AND priced to less than $20,000 !!!

There are just too many fashion/product photogs I know who would SWITCH in an instant for a Canon 100 megapixel monster with 70mm sized sensor and 16-bits per RGB colour channel ! With an f/1.2 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lens Canon would OWN the Fashion and Product Catalog Photography industry in mere days of the introduction of such a larger version of a 1Dxmk3 body-style ruggedized Super-MF+ camera!

--

--
Y’all should just buy a real nice 3D scanner and 3D printer and call it a day.

Upvote 0
... SNIP ...

You gave me an idea. remember that cash and carry restaurant supply warehouses will sell to many other businesses, provided they have a business or business checking. When we lived up in Portland, we would buy spices and I just wrote from my arborist landscape company checkbook.

Photographers who find a certain shortage, and own a business, may care to see if the commercial supplier has the product they need.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon seems to have opened up EF-M mount, also many Sigma lenses on EF have their profiles built into Canon DSLRs so to a certain degree EF mount has been opened up as well. Making MF lenses is easier as engineers just have reverse engineer mount dimensions while reverse engineering encrypted protocols is much harder task.

Please tell me which specific Canon EOS camera have profiles of which specific Sigma lenses?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

FWIW, that's about the lenses having the profiles, not the cameras. The camera will read the profile from the lens to use it, Canon didn't release a new firmware for the cameras which contains those profiles.
The net result is basically the same, but the profile not 'built into the DSLR', it's in the lenses.

Upvote 0
Hard call for me ... EOS R5? ... or EOS R high-megapixel? I often print 30 inches, and last year, a distillery requested an 18,000 x 18,000 pixel redwood file for a 10 foot print. I improvised with the 5DS shooting mulitple frames. Half the photos I take are normal portraits and wedding photos.

Wish Canon could let me test out their new high megapixel body.

View attachment 189240
Where are the Ewoks?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
FWIW, that's about the lenses having the profiles, not the cameras. The camera will read the profile from the lens to use it, Canon didn't release a new firmware for the cameras which contains those profiles.
The net result is basically the same, but the profile not 'built into the DSLR', it's in the lenses.
Global vision lenses do show up as their own Sigma models in profiles( and not as some spoofed Canon lens on Dslrs listed in that article.
Here is a screenshot from Dustin's review of Sigma lens.

Profile-Corrections.JPG

• Wow
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Global vision lenses do show up as their own Sigma models in profiles( and not as some spoofed Canon lens on Dslrs listed in that article.
Here is a screenshot from Dustin's review of Sigma lens.

Profile-Corrections.JPG

I know, and the EF-M 56mm Sigma lens I have does the same, but how does that negate what I've been saying? To phrase my point in a different way: The proper name of that 56mm lens also gets shown on my original M, which most recent firmware update was years before Sigma launched that lens in any form. So it's the lens providing the name and profiles, not the camera.

Upvote 0

tonyespofoto

1DS Mk III
Sep 8, 2014
I have a 5Ds and I like the camera. My previous cameras were the 1Ds, 1Ds II and 1Ds III. My next camera is likely to be the Rs (or whatever it will be called). The 5Ds does one thing exceedingly well - it makes large, very detailed images. It is a relatively small, light camera that interfaces with a very large system of lenses, flashes and accessories. It will not win prizes for its performance in other areas like high ISO. But it does those tasks adequately, perhaps even much better than adequately, especially when compared to previous generations of cameras. You buy the camera that excels at the main task you need it for. Everything else is gravy. Just like in the film days, MF excels at resolution. The cameras are larger and heavier, the autofocus slower, the accessories more limited and the lenses slower and less abundant. The larger the format, the more these limitations apply. An 11x14 camera requires a packhorse to carry it , the lenses are very slow and quite limited. However, the camera's resolution is unexcelled. It is not a very good sports camera. There is not now, nor will there likely ever be, a camera that does everything exceedingly well at any price. We do not live in a perfect world, however, the cameras and lenses available now, in any digital format, deliver images that were not even imaginable 30 years ago. Count your incredibly abundant blessings.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It makes all the sense as long as there's the busness justificaiton and the proprietary lenses.

So far 83 MPs on a Sigma 50 mm ART with its 33 perceptual MPs or the manually focused costing $4K Carl-Zeiss Otus with its 45 MPs (if I recall correctly)... I don't see aby reason to go for the new high MP Canon body. Especially having in mind the R requires new lenses.

The logical way is MF. Bigger pixels, bigger body (yes, when pixels are more, better steady hand along the higher speeds), better DR.

Canon had to choose and they made the logical path towards mirrorless, leaving MF for other times (eventually). Both requiring new series of lenses. Obviously in next 10-20 years no Canon MF. :-( How unfortunate for me.
Canon has never had MF and with the market in such flux, is unlikely to ever go there.
While I see the allure of MF, the fact is that even large prints from my 5DsR (8 feet wide) look spectacular even up close. The increment of IQ that would be available is debatable but the demand on technique, optics and wallets is undeniable.

Upvote 0