A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

As a professional Wedding/Event Photogrpher this would be perfect! Processing more than 30MP images is ridiculous for a wedding photographer whom shoots thousands (3-6k) at a wedding with 1-2 photographers at a wedding. Wedding album prints max out at 11x14. I'm more interested in post processing faster and having in-viewfinder live exposure adjustment. I used the 5D Mark III and then opted for the (4x) 6D Mark II's one the 5D IV (I just boost all the shadows 10% in post and the images look great). We shoot video as well and I love the 6D image out of the box (I also use at least one C100 Mark II for audio capture and a zoom)...I don't need the earphone jack on the 6D mark II since I just set it on auto and synch it in post with the C100 or zoom)...Canon were jerks for leaving the jack input off the camera though. In camera IS, viewfinder live exposure control, variable ND filter adapter between the lens (add on) and a workable MP count, lower MP also means bigger pixels for better low-light performance, 4k at 60P is great...I also don't plan to sell wedding videos in 4K/8k as it's very processor intensive and multi-cam file edits are nearly impossible unless you spend $10k on the latest core processors with a gazillion RAM. I'd buy 4x of these and sell my current gear. Note I've also been a photojournalist for 10 years and worked for The New York Times, AP, Nat Geo, etc and shot for ABC, Food Network etc..but I hate wasting my life post processing. Don't get me wrong about image quality...if I were filming fro Netflix etc I'd shoot 4k/8k or if I was shooting for galleries or advertisements I'd shoot the highest megapixel camera...but for events/wedding all I need is image stabilization, great exposures and Big Fat Megapixels for low light.

Proxy workflow. You come home from your event, you import all the movie files in Premiere or Final Cut. Next morning, your computer has miraculously turned all your files into super-easy low resolution files. Edit the movie on a 2009 macpro or whatever in real time. Even if you layer five 8K streams with filters and transitions :) When you export at the 'real' resolution the computer uses the original highres movie files and the export will take a while.

Upvote 0
The R6 really puzzles me.

This is a really good question.

Right now I can't see the right place for the R6 in the EOS R lineup.
If it was an RP successor, same size or smaller, I'd get the lower MP count (20 MP < 26 MP) if they were really better, say this is a real 1DX Mk??? sensor (with DPAF).
If it's not a (recognizably) better sensor than the ones of the RP or R that would really make me scratch my head.
Especially if the body is bigger than the RP.

Interesting, times... .
This is why I also don’t understand the point of this. The low rez sounds like a 1Dx mk III equivalent. But it can’t be. Otherwise, what’s Canon trying to do here? An astro camera? Lower rez, but much better s/n and dynamic range, with IR and some UV capabilities? A black and white model with a special sensor just for that? Other companies have b/w models, so it’s possible.

come on guys, think of something interesting. I can’t do all the work. ;~(

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.

It's not being made to draw purchasers away from the EOS R.

It's made to draw purchasers away from Sony (α7III and α7IV) and Nikon (Z6) to get them into the RF lens system.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The R6 really puzzles me.

This is a really good question.

Right now I can't see the right place for the R6 in the EOS R lineup.
If it was an RP successor, same size or smaller, I'd get the lower MP count (20 MP < 26 MP) if they were really better, say this is a real 1DX Mk??? sensor (with DPAF).
If it's not a (recognizably) better sensor than the ones of the RP or R that would really make me scratch my head.
Especially if the body is bigger than the RP.

Interesting, times... .

The question should not be how the new cameras fit against the R and RP, which we now seem to understand were stop gap measures using existing off-the-shelf components to get RF mount cameras into the market.

The question is how long will Canon continue to offer the EOS R and EOS RP and where do they fit after the R5, R6, R3/R5s, R1 and possibly an R7 are on the market?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think as a still photographer, I would be interested to know the developments on R6. My only ask along with all the features mentioned is, it should have the same level of AF options as mentioned in R5.

Considering the 6D series was also about one and one-half generations behind the 5D series in terms of AF, and that the 90D did not get all of the features of the 7D Mark II AF system, I would not hold my breath on that one. That's one area where Canon continues to most carefully differentiate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I agree! I just hope they keep the price range in the advanced amateur's range too (sub $2.000) and I will buy it straight away. Just what I need: 4K 60fps (finally, I've already given up on Canon and looked at other cameras because they've been neglecting affordable 4K 60fps version), IBIS, and compatible with my existing canon glass.

Didn't the 6D Mark II debut at just above $2K for $2,099?

The 6D was introduced for $1,999 in the U.S., which is technically $1below $2K but not really when sales tax is added.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Given that the R6 and R5 seem to be designed to slot into clear positions defined in the DSLR lineup, i wonder where the EOS R and RP now fit. do the R5 and R6 replace these or will they continue on in the future?

I'm guessing they stay available until existing stock dries up and then they'll fade away. Maybe they'll keep them in production until a bit before the R5 and R6 are replaced by an R5 Mark II and R6 Mark II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So the trade-off is IBIS and two slots in place of Megapixels? Is that really worth it to people? Are there a lot of RF 50mm f/1.2 owners needing a dirt cheap body with IBIS?
Or is IBIS for old EF and 3rd-party lenses?

It's a perfect tradoff for those looking for an affordable option oriented more towards video than stills.

I'm guessing most RF 50mm f/1.2 L owners are saving for the R5.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Given the 20mp pixel count to accommodate IBIS, using the existing RP 26.2mp sensor would make a lot of sense from an economy of scale point of view.

26MP is less than 15% larger in terms of linear density. That gives room for around 7% IBIS movement in all four directions without moving anything mechanically.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe this R6 (if the body is built a little better than rumored) is more of a 7D than a 6D - which in my opinion is the R.

An R full-frame version of a 7D makes sense given the rumored specs, and its the only xD body that doesn't have an equivalent R body that's out or rumored that fits its niche.

R = 6D
R5 = 5D
R(high mp) = 5DS
R(pro) = 1D
R6 = 7D

RP = xxD

I completely agree with you here. The R6 seems like a full frame 7D. Basically an entry level full frame mirrorless sports/wildlife camera with great low light capability. I also see the R as the true successor to the original 6D (which is what I upgraded from).

Except what sold the 7D Mark II were:

High pixel density (equal to about 55 MP in full frame)
Near indestructibility on terms of weather resistance, being banged around, and shutter life expectancy
Speed greater than anything in Canon's catalog other than the 1D X that sold for 4X as much

I know the 7D Mark II. I shoot with a 7D Mark II. I own a 7D Mark II. The R6 is no 7D Mark II.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
This camera will be better performer than R and RP despite the lower mp. We have to see if it's gonna borrow the sensor from 1Dx Mark III. If it does this camera will sell tons of them... more even than R5 as it will cost much lower (sub 1000$). I wonder what is going to be with R and RP in the future... as the 5 and 6 ff series are introducing into milc world.

If it sells for less than $1K, it will be the original 6D sensor, not the 1D X Mark III sensor!

This spec list is shaping up to be a $2500 (on launch) camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just thinking...so we get the 20MP sensor which is likely the same as the 1DX III. Would it make sense if Canon differentiated them by using a different low-pass filter? I mean, the claim is that the 1DX III has a newly designed high detail low-pass filter and what if the R6 is using a different/older low-pass filter? Or maybe it could be the sensor from the 1DX II just to differentiate things further from the R5 and 1DX III? I mean, the 1DX II is also 20MP and Canon doesn't shy away from using old sensors in their new cameras. And what Digic processor do we get? We skipped the 9 so does the R6 get the X or get another version of the 8? That could be where the crippling/nerfing happens. Dual cards - maybe we get one UHS II and the other is UHS I?

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
The question is how long will Canon continue to offer the EOS R and EOS RP and where do they fit after the R5, R6, R3/R5s, R1 and possibly an R7 are on the market?

R between R5 and R6, and RP between R6 and R7, more ore less, but in fact, they will not fit, it is unnecessary.
We think it is now but in a few month the lineup will be more logical and less discussed than today.

I think they plan to produce R until R1 and RP until R7 if profitable (because they used depreciated parts)
If not profitable, and if R5/R6 production allready advanced, they may have allready stopped the production, but with enough inventory to make sales until 2021

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I do hope that it will be a low light beast. If yes, 20-24 MP would be for me the sweet spot of 35mm sensors anyway. Btw I am editor of a German physics journal and just had currently an interesting talk with someone working in smartphone's camera R&D area. From physicist to physicist, he told me, that from his perspective the MP race of today in the FF camera market is pure nonsense for most users (diffraction blur, motion blur on pixel level etc.). I agreed. High MP count can make sense, if you shoot with a lot of light in studio @ f =< 4.0 or so (depending on the pixel pitch) and want to print a huge wall paper. But in most user cases it'll only create gigantic images files that contain not more real image information than files from sensor with moderate MP. Those files only boost the already big CO2 footprint of digital processing (today's silicon processors based on von Neumann-Zuse design are more heating than digital devices, because of massive energy losses).

I agree MP race is only marketing yet, but as they developed powerfull AF using ML sensors, they may use big sensors, not to deliver such a big file at the end, but to offer new capabilities.
We only think "crop" or "big print", but I think they plan other ways to use this big amount of datas.
A way to optimize electronic shutter for exemple, or make AF even faster.

As it was stabilized last couple of years, the race will stabilize soon for several years, with likely 3 class of sensor sizes :
- 20-30 MP for entryl level cameras and sepcific uses like sports/wild (1Dxiii)
- 40-50 MP for experts/pro bodies
- 70 MP and more for specific uses like studio and big prints

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

When the R5 and the R6 are available, the R and RP will be the cheapest RF mount cameras in the Canon lineup. At that point Canon may keep either or both the R and the RF available as inexpensive RF mount cameras or not. The R6 will not be introduced at a price less than the current price of the R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This is why I also don’t understand the point of this.
come on guys, think of something interesting. I can’t do all the work. ;~(
Simple market differenciation as Canon thinks to place their products the best way.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
For quite a while, there have been posts moaning because Canon cameras do not have IBIS or decent video and that only the high end cameras have dual card slots and high burst rates. So now the R6 is coming with IBIS , 4K 60 fps video, dual card slots and 12/20 fps burst rates and the moans are about the 20 mp sensor. Read Canon Rumors for the humor.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

• 20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
  • IBIS
  • 12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
  • 4K @ 60p
  • FullHD @ 120p
  • Dual card slots
  • No top-down screen
  • Lower resolution EVF than the EOS R5
  • Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
  • New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
  • June 2020 launch (We think a May announcement)
For the moment, this definitely looks like a lower-end camera than the Canon EOS R5, and not some kind of high-ISO speed/sports camera.

More to come…
bait and switch statement .... how many insiders do you have?!? lolz

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
Except what sold the 7D Mark II were:

High pixel density (equal to about 55 MP in full frame)
Near indestructibility on terms of weather resistance, being banged around, and shutter life expectancy
Speed greater than anything in Canon's catalog other than the 1D X that sold for 4X as much

I know the 7D Mark II. I shoot with a 7D Mark II. I own a 7D Mark II. The R6 is no 7D Mark II.

As if saying the R6 may be a 7D series equivalent body on the R platform was somehow casting an aspersion on your obviously very beloved 7D2.

You don't know the R6. You don't shoot with an R6. You don't own an R6. You are not qualified to state as a demonstrative fact what the R6 is or isn't.

Upvote 0