Five new EF-M lenses for the EOS M lineup coming? [CR1]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I would think that with the current Corona crisis it is easier to sell more affordable EF-M lenses than expensive RF lenses.

Frank
There are things that we want and things that we need. Things that we want do not sell well in times likes now. From my angle: new capital (CAPEX) expenditure and investments in enterprise markets already in doll drums since late Jan. Services hold up as they are typically either OPEX or been already pre-approved by finance. This points out to some serious economic headwinds. Which is in return, will filter down to all pockets of global markets. Read: people will be seriously holding up to their wallets. Sentiment is in already.
My take on it: NixxN is not going to make it though to the end. Not diversified enough. Cactus.

Upvote 0
It could also be the case that Canon has already done the design work on all these EF-M lenses ages ago and is just waiting for the right moment to schedule a production run.
they still have to set up manufacturing,etc .. that's still alot of work.

and we haven't seen any patents. if they did it and put things on hold, the patents would have been visible.

Upvote 0
I expect the 7D replacement to come in EOS R mount, as

1. The EOS-M line is made of small, light, consumer cameras & lenses, while a large portion of 7D owners use white super telephotos.

2. The EOS-R line is the pro line, and the 7D is definitely one.

3. The advantage of the 7D over the 1DX is reach, so I don't see Canon dropping the 7D line altogether.

4. Canon could release a twofer 50MP FF camera that would function as both a 5DS replacement when shooting with the full sensor, and a 7D replacement by shooting high fps from a 20MP crop. It can see some sense in it, just don't think its the probable scenario.
IMO. you're not going to see a 7D. holding out hopes for it is just holding out hopes.

The R5 shoots up to 20 fps at ~18MP 1.6x crop with bird AF. Canon adding in bird AF should tell you right away what they think the body will be used for. The fact that Canon thinks it will do bird eye AF immediately in Canon's mind probably removes any immediate need for a 7D styled camera.

there is no real reach benefit when the pixel densities of full frame increase.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I guess if Canon feels they want to sell a M6II or a M5II .. then they may feel lenses are holding the system back from those cameras (rightly so).

So that's the only reason I could even think of that would make Canon decide to develop these lenses.

A better native normal zoom would seem to be the key lens for upgrading the EF-M system. A 65ish macro might add to the system too.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
A better native normal zoom would seem to be the key lens for upgrading the EF-M system. A 65ish macro might add to the system too.

Yes, exactly what I was going to write.

In about a year from now I will be considering EOS-M vs. FujiFilm which APS-C camera with IBIS (hopefully the M5II will have IBIS) fits better to my needs ie. which one to buy. And the key point for me will be a "better normal zoom".

Currently I use the EF-S 15-85 IS. Fuji's 16-80 is "close enough" (even if I will miss the 16 "equivalent mm" at the long end 85*1.6-80*1.5 = 16). But EF-M has no good choice.
Of course, I could adapt the 15-85, but look at this (link to a camerasize comparison):
https://j.mp/2vKiCy2
For me an EF-M 15-80 4-5.6 non-IS would be the "better normal zoom", which I am missing in the EF-M system.

Maybe for others the "better native normal zoom" would be a 15-50 2.8-4 (18-45 is ridiculously small range for the apertures) or a 15-45 2.8. Well, those are also missing in the lineup and will be most probably missing also in a year from now...

Unfortunately, the list of rumored lenses suggests that Canon still wants to limit themselves to the ridiculous idea that all EF-M lenses must fit to the 61mm diameter. Without breaking out of this self-imposed prison, there is no chance for any of the lenses I mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Unfortunately, the list of rumored lenses suggests that Canon still wants to limit themselves to the ridiculous idea that all EF-M lenses must fit to the 61mm diameter. Without breaking out of this self-imposed prison, there is no chance for any of the lenses I mentioned.
I don't think Canon had anything to do with the list of lenses in the rumor. It is a CR1

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Are you happy with your Sigma lenses, I was thinking of getting one or both.
I'm very happy with them. My only complaint is that, after 20 years of using f/2.8 trinity zooms, returning to fixed focal length lenses is annoying. Incidentally, I thought about buying the 56mm Sigma, but after trying my already-paid-for EF50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 lenses on both Canon and Vello mount adapters, I decided that I could use them instead. Amazingly, the Canon 135 f/2 also works (and balances) well with an adapter.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I'm very happy with them. My only complaint is that, after 20 years of using f/2.8 trinity zooms, returning to fixed focal length lenses is annoying. Incidentally, I thought about buying the 56mm Sigma, but after trying my already-paid-for EF50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 lenses on both Canon and Vello mount adapters, I decided that I could use them instead. Amazingly, the Canon 135 f/2 also works (and balances) well with an adapter.
If you can live with f4, the 70-200 f4 L IS II balances surprisingly well on the m6 II and has great IQ. I have been on a weight reduction mission with EF lenses and swapped the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II for the f4 II version. Worked out well on both EF & EF-M bodies.

Upvote 0
Yes, zooms are definitely very convenient. Although I don't mind so much with my M6 because of the weight savings. I love using my 100/2 on my M6 as well, big enough to hold on to comfortably and not overly massive relative to the M6. I can definitely see the appeal of your 135/2L on the M6 given its sharpness and reach (like having a 200/2L on a fullframe although with more DOF).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
If you can live with f4, the 70-200 f4 L IS II balances surprisingly well on the m6 II and has great IQ. I have been on a weight reduction mission with EF lenses and swapped the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II for the f4 II version. Worked out well on both EF & EF-M bodies.
I'm on the same mission and that lens is certainly a possibility. I noticed that the RP and R are significantly lighter than my 5D3 and hope that the R5 and R6 will also be.

I notice that you have the 18-150 M lens. Do you find that when the lens is set to 18mm and you are using the M6-2 onboard flash, the front of the lens blocks the flash causing a dark area in the lower right corner of the image? I encountered that with a friend's M100 and that lens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the R5 is as rumored and has 1.3X and 1.6X crops, I plan to use it as a replacement for my 7D. It would also give me a FF camera with twice the pixel count of my 5D3, not that I would use it FF very often. I'm one of those who thinks that, most of the time, 20-24MP are "enough". I may not order the R5 until after the R6 specs are fully revealed.
Yes I agree, same thing for me.
I'm working using a 5d3 and an R , if the R6 will have the R body quality I'm going to change my R and keep my 5d3 as a spare. Working with 1sd card is too risky...almost scarry

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
These are all for crop sensor. So for my M50, you have to 1.6x on all the numbers.

To get the "equivalents," yes. But if what you mean by this is a claim that the focal lengths are misleading because these were made for the EF-M mount, then: no, they're not. The 52 mm will behave the same as any "full frame" 52mm adapted to your camera (there is no such beast, but it will be almost the same as the EF 50mm adapted to your camera.) Canon won't quote the number differently to somehow account for the crop sensor; a 50mm is a 50mm is a 50mm.

If you already understood that, and I misunderstood YOU, I apologize for bothering you with the explanation.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah, I just wish they upped high ISO IQ by providing an image stacking / automatic double exposure mode. How good is that would be. Take two images consequently with a pre-defined shutter speed. Combine either in camera as a jpg or a couple of RAW files as an output. Would probably
Improve high ISO by a stop or so. It so obvious, I do not understand why it has not been implemented yet..

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah, I just wish they upped high ISO IQ by providing an image stacking / automatic double exposure mode. How good is that would be. Take two images consequently with a pre-defined shutter speed. Combine either in camera as a jpg or a couple of RAW files as an output. Would probably
Improve high ISO by a stop or so. It so obvious, I do not understand why it has not been implemented yet..

*scratching head* how would that be different from simply lengthening the exposure and reducing the ISO to match?

If you can't lengthen the exposure because the subject is moving--well, that would be even WORSE with two exposures stacked (which would presumably have some time gap between the exposures).

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
*scratching head* how would that be different from simply lengthening the exposure and reducing the ISO to match?

If you can't lengthen the exposure because the subject is moving--well, that would be even WORSE with two exposures stacked (which would presumably have some time gap between the exposures).
Hi Steve,

I will provide a short explanation and a link for you to delve in.
In a few words: definitely useful in situation with a static or slow moving subject. With shutter speed running up to 1/8000s these days, I see these being possible.
“...
The stacking technique makes use of the random nature of noise. By making a series of images without moving the camera, every single image will have a slightly different noise pattern. When combining these images in a smart way, it is possible to cancel out the noise, without loss of detail. Because we make use of the random noise in a series of images, it may be clear this technique does not work with a series of copied images.

The downside of this method is the limited use of the technique. It needs a stationary scenery, without (a lot) of movement, and you need to shoot on tripod – although it might be possible to shoot without it in high speed mode and aligning the images afterwards. It all depends on the situation...”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
All are great, except from 100-300mm. Canon really exaggarates "light, smaller and affordable lenses" concept. What is the next step? f8-11 lenses? It is fine as long as we have f4-f5.6 or f4.5-5.6 lenses as well. 1 stop really matters in dark and also AF struggles quite a bit.
Other lenses look quite good though (at least specs).

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
I'd buy the Sigma 16mm f/1.4, but I've heard the lens might need calibration.
I've also heard of Sigma lenses so far out of adjustment that they can't be calibrated.
If I had a tech who I trusted to calibrate it, it would fine, but I don't...

Sorry to spread rumors. Google for "sigma calibration" if you want sources.

So it would be great if Canon made a 15mm !
Do Canon lenses ever require calibration straight out of the box ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0