Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
"When I found a car I liked, I bought it instead of the tires."

Obviously not a youngster starting out in the workforce.:)

Jack
Age was a definite factor in the decision. My old car did not have a backup camera. As I age, I will need all the help I can get. Also, no one can know how many more years I will be driving. It doesn’t make much sense to wait until a couple years before I die or otherwise quit driving to have a new car. And, yes, a fairly dependable pension feels more secure than employment income. Minuscule interest rates don’t encourage putting things off.

I may have told this here before. A few years back I splurged and got the 100-400 mm L II. I decided that for my October birthday I would buy me the 16-35 mm L. That summer, a high school classmate died quite unexpectedly. I went to his funeral on the south side of Charlotte. Driving back home, I decided that life was too unpredictable to wait for October, and I could afford the lens as well as I could later. There is an exit on the interstate near a Best Buy, so I took the exit and bought the lens. So I have been enjoying using two great lenses for the last 2+ years.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Age was a definite factor in the decision. My old car did not have a backup camera. As I age, I will need all the help I can get. Also, no one can know how many more years I will be driving. It doesn’t make much sense to wait until a couple years before I die or otherwise quit driving to have a new car. And, yes, a fairly dependable pension feels more secure than employment income. Minuscule interest rates don’t encourage putting things off.

I may have told this here before. A few years back I splurged and got the 100-400 mm L II. I decided that for my October birthday I would buy me the 16-35 mm L. That summer, a high school classmate died quite unexpectedly. I went to his funeral on the south side of Charlotte. Driving back home, I decided that life was too unpredictable to wait for October, and I could afford the lens as well as I could later. There is an exit on the interstate near a Best Buy, so I took the exit and bought the lens. So I have been enjoying using two great lenses for the last 2+ years.

Sounds like me when my wife insisted I get the 1DX2 and 400 DO II. I said we can't afford it and what about you, but she twisted my arm. Thankfully we don't need a new vehicle because the camera gear purchase would interfere with that for sure. However, I don't have debt so that would be an option ... to avoid. ;)

And, yes, the thought of death has become all that much more real since I'm over 70 with COPD (asthma) and this virus isn't going away any time soon. And now I'm all GAS over the R5! :whistle: It helps take ones mind off viruses!:)

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
And, yes, the thought of death has become all that much more real since I'm over 70 with COPD (asthma) and this virus isn't going away any time soon. And now I'm all GAS over the R5! :whistle: It helps take ones mind off viruses!:)
I needed to revise a charitable portion of my will. I got the new version signed Thursday, so now I can quit thinking about death for a while. My last camera purchase was the G5X II for my trip last fall. Now my need for a travel camera is in suspense. As we have pretty days during this time, I hope to get out and take pictures. That’s something we can do without getting near other people, even portraits with an 85 mm lens. I’ll use my DSLR for planned shooting, but I’ll probably just carry along the G5 when I go out for walks in the neighborhood.

GAS for me right now doesn’t include cameras or lenses. I might still rent a TS lens to play with for a week, and it is not impossible that the temptation to keep it might overwhelm me. Otherwise a new macro ring light, maybe fancier extension tubes, and a new tripod head could be on my radar.

Since I got back from Dallas on the 12th and civilization as we know it suddenly collapsed, about the only responsibility I have had other than eating and sleeping has been to post cancellations for the non-profits for which I volunteer websites. So with the extra time, I have finished scanning in the slides I have located from my Eastern European trip in 2000 and made pages for all but the last stop, Prague. I’m still researching what some of the buildings are. I also wonder why I haven’t found pictures made around Wenceslas Square. So I may spend this afternoon going through trays of old slides. Even with strong Photoshop adjustments to color and contrast, they still look somewhat like old pictures. I’m not sure that is all bad. The green layer seems to fade the worst. After I get this done, I plan to import some of the pictures into Lightroom and make a book. I’ll have them print two copies so I can give one to the friend who traveled with me.

Then my next project will be to scan in color negatives from a 2001 trip to Seattle and then by train to Glacier National Park. VuScan seems to do well with compensating for the orange mask, in my limited experience.

I‘ve been meaning to undertake these two projects ever since I retired, but there were always more pictures to go through from more recent trips. It took me until March to deal with the 3200 pictures I took with the G5 in the fall trip.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I needed to revise a charitable portion of my will. I got the new version signed Thursday, so now I can quit thinking about death for a while. My last camera purchase was the G5X II for my trip last fall. Now my need for a travel camera is in suspense. As we have pretty days during this time, I hope to get out and take pictures. That’s something we can do without getting near other people, even portraits with an 85 mm lens. I’ll use my DSLR for planned shooting, but I’ll probably just carry along the G5 when I go out for walks in the neighborhood.

GAS for me right now doesn’t include cameras or lenses. I might still rent a TS lens to play with for a week, and it is not impossible that the temptation to keep it might overwhelm me. Otherwise a new macro ring light, maybe fancier extension tubes, and a new tripod head could be on my radar.

Since I got back from Dallas on the 12th and civilization as we know it suddenly collapsed, about the only responsibility I have had other than eating and sleeping has been to post cancellations for the non-profits for which I volunteer websites. So with the extra time, I have finished scanning in the slides I have located from my Eastern European trip in 2000 and made pages for all but the last stop, Prague. I’m still researching what some of the buildings are. I also wonder why I haven’t found pictures made around Wenceslas Square. So I may spend this afternoon going through trays of old slides. Even with strong Photoshop adjustments to color and contrast, they still look somewhat like old pictures. I’m not sure that is all bad. The green layer seems to fade the worst. After I get this done, I plan to import some of the pictures into Lightroom and make a book. I’ll have them print two copies so I can give one to the friend who traveled with me.

Then my next project will be to scan in color negatives from a 2001 trip to Seattle and then by train to Glacier National Park. VuScan seems to do well with compensating for the orange mask, in my limited experience.

I‘ve been meaning to undertake these two projects ever since I retired, but there were always more pictures to go through from more recent trips. It took me until March to deal with the 3200 pictures I took with the G5 in the fall trip.
And there are people who fear retirement because they will get bored; kind of sad isn't it. :cry:

Jack

• Wow
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm sure I won't be bored.

I'm just not sure I'll ever get to retire.
Of course some of us retire only by label not reality.;) Some of us create such a backlog of projects we never get our heads above water till we die, but at least we have fun in our busyness, immagining the day it's all finished.:)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Of course some of us retire only by label not reality.;) Some of us create such a backlog of projects we never get our heads above water till we die, but at least we have fun in our busyness, immagining the day it's all finished.:)
Jack
A few years back I said that to finish my retirement projects, I would need to live to age 132 and still be in fine shape mentally.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
A few years back I said that to finish my retirement projects, I would need to live to age 132 and still be in fine shape mentally.
That was a few years back. Nowadays the number would have been upgraded to at least 150. So get along with this and start working out :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
That was a few years back. Nowadays the number would have been upgrade to at least 150. So get along with this and start working out :)
I did get the rest of my 2000 trip slides posted tonight (what I have found so far, anyway), so maybe I can reduce that by a week or so.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

I suppose some 8k samples will be unveiled at some point in the future.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

This article does a good job explaining why 8K may not be directly useful to some but still provides great benefits relative to panning and zooming when downsampling to 4K or HD, not to mention the much larger JPEG that can be extracted at 30 fps on the R5. Those who make light of 8K should read this.

Jack

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Here we have a Canon source describing the R5 as the flagship, at least for video. Other Canon sources have recently said that the R5 continues in the 5D tradition. Not sure what the message is, but it may be clearer when we see what the numbers are that come after the dollar sign.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here we have a Canon source describing the R5 as the flagship, at least for video. Other Canon sources have recently said that the R5 continues in the 5D tradition. Not sure what the message is, but it may be clearer when we see what the numbers are that come after the dollar sign.
You're right on with this observation. I suspect higher than previous 5 series cameras.

Jack

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

What did they consider the "flagship camera, at least for video" before the RXs (X=some number) were announced? Was it something other than the 1? Did they even think in terms of a video flagship camera?

If we're to try to make comparisons between the new cameras and the old cameras to see what their positioning is in the lineup, we have to compare apples to apples.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This article does a good job explaining why 8K may not be directly useful to some but still provides great benefits relative to panning and zooming when downsampling to 4K or HD, not to mention the much larger JPEG that can be extracted at 30 fps on the R5. Those who make light of 8K should read this.

Jack
Also explained here:

3 years later, now it is in a small mirrorless camera sitting on a more flexible platform equipped with a bigger sensor (with superior low-light) recording to standard memory cards with full AF and IBIS, silent operation, better reliability and support, etc.
Ok it is not 8k60fps REDCode RAW and they have moved on as well, and there may be some other limitations, but still pretty crazy.

• Love
Upvote 0