Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

Jan 27, 2020
I agree think the 5D series is dead.

I have no numbers, so it is just a guess, but I think the 5D series is probably Canon's best selling FF camera. Since (again, my opinion) the majority of the enthusiasm for mirrorless is among the gear-head population, I think Canon would not commit company suicide by abandoning DSLRs - which still outsell mirrorless worldwide, I believe, and I am fairly certain will still outsell mirrorless among professionals (who are less likely to jump on the new popular bandwagon).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Even if Canon would continue to release DSLR but fact that new glasses are all with RF, EF lenses sure won’t be updated and eventually will be gone. Yes most of the EF L lenses are very good but RF lenses are far more superb that’s why I switched from 5D4 and all in to R system since it’s first release date.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I

I'm relatively new to this forum and an owner of a 5D3. I deliberately skipped the 5D4 preferring to save the $ and wait for the next generation, which is nearly here and obviously a quantum leap. I'm intrigued with the 5R especially given the FPS (among other things) since I shoot a high percentage of action shots.

I am wondering about your comment about the 5 series never being an action camera. Can you please expound further?

Also please explain the advantages of the 5D series and R series that each possess over the other (other than the size and other obvious features). Since Canon is going to keep the 5D line going, your comment makes me wonder I should cool my jets on the 5R and wait for the 5D5. I appreciate your help with my due diligence.

I think I just found the answer that I was looking for. The article from the pro photographers in Europe (which I had not seen when I sent my inquiry) fully explained the advantage of the DSLR focusing capability and the real-time action vs. the slightly delayed action of the R viewfinder. The only problem is that the article is not really comparing apples to apples. The EOS 1 series is clearly loaded up for a pro sports photographer...which neither the R series nor 5D5 series are geared towards.

Although the same argument about the mirror advantage is still applicable to the 5D series, the fair apples to apples test will be the specs 5D5 vs. the 5R...neither of which are on the market yet. I suspect that, similar to the 5D4 and R, the specs on the new versions will be very similar. And the lag time on the 5R viewfinder will be tightened to be closer to real time vs. its predecessor...advantage 5d5 but closer. Unless either camera includes a dedicated chip to auto-focus ala the 1 series, there will be no advantage to either model.

So instead of jumping on the 5R I might just have to wait until both models are out and see what the jury of buyers has to say and my 5D3 may have to suffice for another year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I did not think they would release a 5DV and always saw the R5 as the replacement. However the wording of this is strange.

If they were to release both, then perhaps the 5DV would maintain it's usual price range while the R5 (with extra features) could then be sold at a premium.
The biggest advantage of an R5 over 5D is that it will work with both RF and EF glass. So even if other specs were the same, R5 is future proof with regards to lenses. Therefore it should sell at a much higher price than 5D version. I suspect that when R5 is introduced, there will be big discounts on 5D4 offered by Canon.

Upvote 0
I know far more wedding/event/family photographers still shooting DSLRs, be it Canon or Nikon, than mirrorless. I do not think Canon immediately abandons those users upon the release of their first real professional quality FF MILC. There will be plenty of early adopters of the R5, but many more won't make the jump yet. There is still a market for a 5DV while the R5 is proving itself in real world use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

This is directly from Canon, maybe this will stop the BS about abandoning DSLRs.
Thanks for sharing this. Of course, there is lots of confirmation bias for me, but it does confirm what I have found in shooting both mirrorless and DSLR side by side over the past nine months or so. I'm very interested in the new R5, but I can't see it totally replacing my 5D or 1Dx any time soon. Still going to end up with too many bodies. Sneaky Canon.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was out with the RP on a spring shoot and got frustrated with the camera at one point because the AF point was locking onto a distant house rather than the branch right in front of the camera. Never had that type of issue with the 5D or similar DSLR...

The DSLR is still more versatile when it comes to AF. However, I'm willing to give the edge to MILC when it comes to AF consistency...
I've had a similar experience with AF. In my case it was a more pronounced difference than just a slight edge. AF on the 5D IV was very hit and miss with an 80% hit rate on a good day (I use mostly outer, cross type points). In my use of the EOS R my hit rate has jumped to nearly 100%. Very happy to have made the switch and Eye AF makes my portrait and fashion work a breeze. I'll be lining up for the R5!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
What would you to have to invest in again? You're just looking at camera vs. camera. If you have EF lenses the you love they work seamlessly on the R series cameras at least with the current releases and I can't see that changing. ...
Of course you can still use all your EF lenses with the adaptor(s).
But you will not gain the advantages of RF lenses (often smaller, often better IQ, better AF/IS communication, etc.)

And by this (your) thought why even change body?

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I do think that its great that a 5DV is coming, but for me, my 5DIV will probably be the last DSLR I buy. It is still a great camera and I like the 30 MP file sizes. I am looking forward to future R series cameras now, but I still do not care for very high MP and it seems that is the trend now. I will
evaluate whether the upcoming R6 meets my needs in the mirrorless realm.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I know this has been meeting but are we still anticipating a 5DV this year? Or next? I don’t think I’ve seen anything other than mirrorless cameras mentioned in the coming future with respect to the R5, R6 and R1. I think I’d like an new 5D but I am wondering if the R5 going forward is going to be it.
Canon has always been good for a surprise, and they know, as a commercial company, that there is a real demand for a 5 DV.
A new FF DSLR would also sell a few more EF lenses, therefore, I expect a 5 DV !!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was out with the RP on a spring shoot and got frustrated with the camera at one point because the AF point was locking onto a distant house rather than the branch right in front of the camera. Never had that type of issue with the 5D or similar DSLR...

The DSLR is still more versatile when it comes to AF. However, I'm willing to give the edge to MILC when it comes to AF consistency...
Strange. I had the same exact problem with the 5D Mark III, many times.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Of course you can still use all your EF lenses with the adaptor(s).
But you will not gain the advantages of RF lenses (often smaller, often better IQ, better AF/IS communication, etc.)

And by this (your) thought why even change body?
Eye-AF... it works with EF lenses adapted and is a big advantage.

Upvote 0