Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

Feb 14, 2014
There’s a significant lack of information to keep everyone guessing. The R5 is a 5D mirrorless, no word on the price or the full specs to know just how expensive and good it is. The other issue, plenty of Canon users do seem reluctant right now to switch to mirrorless so will Canon produce another DSLR 5D to keep them happy and at what point will they go fully into mirrorless? It would also be interesting to know how Canon will be able to sustain so many different systems (EF, EF-S, EF-M, RF).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
For many it will be a process to switch over due to cost. Start with an RF body while using EF lenses and phase in the RF lenses over time as funds permit.

I'll look into trying something like I did with my 5D3....

Maybe buy from somewhere like Crutchfield...a place that gives "reward points"...buy the body there. And then use the rewards points for credit towards first RF lens maybe later, especially if they have a sale.

I got my first 70-200 2.8L lens for what was a steal at the time that way.

C

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
I myself couldn't imagine buying a new DSLR these days. And I like my Canon DSLR (for stills)!

If I bought a new DSLR I feel as though I would be buying the T90 (Canon's last non EOS SLR). By this I mean I would be buying into a dead mount and not getting the advantages of the new RF glass.

So if the 5d5 came out with virtually the exact same specs as the R5, it would have to be sold at a huge discount to reflect this major limitation.

I love a good T90 reference!

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
it’s great that they will have a 5DV. Just put the R5 sensor to the 5D4 body. I believe many people like me have the whole line of EF lens and it’s very difficult to switch.

Don't you mean "it's extremely easy to switch?" There's a $95 adapter that works flawlessly with all EF glass. The only issue is that the adapter isn't weather sealed, but assuming you don't shoot in rain, it's like . . . basically faultless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

schiueva

5D4 A9ii
Mar 25, 2020
Don't you mean "it's extremely easy to switch?" There's a $95 adapter that works flawlessly with all EF glass. The only issue is that the adapter isn't weather sealed, but assuming you don't shoot in rain, it's like . . . basically faultless.
I know there is adapter and it doesn’t work well for me, of coz the weather seal problem and front heavy. Switching mean sold all the EF lens to the RF mount. Not just adapting.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I know there is adapter and it doesn’t work well for me, of coz the weather seal problem and front heavy. Switching mean sold all the EF lens to the RF mount. Not just adapting.

OK, fair enough. It works great for most people, but I can understand if your use is different.

Upvote 0
How long do we realistically think it will be before this and the R6 make it to market? The world is at practically a standstill right now, the supply chain is hosed, the global economy is in the toilet, and the signature event driving a lot of the releases - Japan’s 2020 olympics - is on hold for around a year. Delays are inevitable. Marketing strategy to stretch them even longer is sensible.

I have been thinking about buying an R to complete my move into full frame, especially with the decent pricing carrying over from Christmas. I know there are lots of differences between it and the R5, but the biggest difference I can think of is the photos I’d take between R purchase and when the R5 drops and I could save up enough to actually purchase.

Anyone else floating in a similar boat? What are your thoughts?

Jody

Upvote 0
What limitation? Mirrorless and DSLR are different formats. Each has it's strength and weaknesses. We have yet to see a mirrorless camera that can do everything a DSLR does, just as we have yet to see a DSLR that does everything a mirrorless does. Judging by other comments on this very thread, there remains lots of demand for a 5D V.

As far as the lens mount goes, Canon has repeatedly said the EF mount isn't going away. They have paused development of new lenses to concentrate on the RF mount, but a pause is just that, a pause. And, given the robust selection of EF lenses already available, there aren't a lot of holes in the lineup anyway.
Just a quick question, what can a DSLR do that a mirrorless camera can't? I'm not trying to stir up a fight, I just have no idea what strength a DSLR has over mirrorless these days. jk

Upvote 0

schiueva

5D4 A9ii
Mar 25, 2020
I would say that in an expanding camera market, there would be room for both DSLR and mirrorless. However, in a rapidly shrinking market it makes little sense to continue to support two different FF lens lines - they need to consolidate to RF so they can amortize RF development costs over as many lens sales as possible.

This won't happen if they continue to pump out new EF mount bodies. So that is why I see the 1dx3 as Canon's DSLR swan song.

they might stop developing new EF lens, but putting new mirrorless sensor into Dslr body isn’t developing. See Nikon did that to their new dslr putting the Z6 sensor in it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
they might stop developing new EF lens, but putting new mirrorless sensor into Dslr body isn’t developing. See Nikon did that to their new dslr putting the Z6 sensor in it.

They'd also have to put in the new processors, which are probably NOT the exact same size and connections. The sensor itself probably has different connections. And, very likely they will have to rearrange things inside the camera to avoid heat issues (I thought I read somewhere that that is what they did to avoid having to put a fan in the R5--radically rearrange things). If even one thing is a different size than the other, or in a different location, then you DO have to do development and testing.

Then you have to alter the menus. You cant use the 5D menus, because they presume a different sensor; you cant use the R5 menus, because they presume mirrorless. That's software development work. More development.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just a quick question, what can a DSLR do that a mirrorless camera can't? I'm not trying to stir up a fight, I just have no idea what strength a DSLR has over mirrorless these days. jk
No fight.

There is a lag time between the action and what you see in the viewfinder with a mirrorless. With DSLR it's the speed of light. Mirrorless uses more battery power. I needed a battery grip with my R. I don't use one with my 5DIV. Mirrorless takes longer to wake up after going to sleep. Personally, I've found the mirrorless autofocus hunts much more and goes wildly out of focus under certain circumstances. Canon says that autofocus is more responsive on DSLRs than mirrorless. It feels that way to me too. Some people don't like the look of the electronic viewfinder. It doesn't really bother me, although under certain lighting conditions I've noticed that the viewfinder doesn't give an accurate reflection of the camera capture (for example, under harsh stage lighting).

You didn't ask, but what I find great about mirrorless is the truly silent shutter, the selection of focus points with your thumb and the fact that you can pick a focus point across the entire frame, which I think really improves my composition.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I know far more wedding/event/family photographers still shooting DSLRs, be it Canon or Nikon, than mirrorless. I do not think Canon immediately abandons those users upon the release of their first real professional quality FF MILC. There will be plenty of early adopters of the R5, but many more won't make the jump yet. There is still a market for a 5DV while the R5 is proving itself in real world use.
Of course there are far more DSLR shooters than mirrorless in event photography - it is the mature market vs new mirrorless. It takes time to change. Coupled with Canon's meh offerings to date in mirrorless, it is understandable that market penetration has not yet occurred. Canon is hoping to change that with the R5.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How long do we realistically think it will be before this and the R6 make it to market? The world is at practically a standstill right now, the supply chain is hosed, the global economy is in the toilet, and the signature event driving a lot of the releases - Japan’s 2020 olympics - is on hold for around a year. Delays are inevitable. Marketing strategy to stretch them even longer is sensible.

I have been thinking about buying an R to complete my move into full frame, especially with the decent pricing carrying over from Christmas. I know there are lots of differences between it and the R5, but the biggest difference I can think of is the photos I’d take between R purchase and when the R5 drops and I could save up enough to actually purchase.

Anyone else floating in a similar boat? What are your thoughts?

Jody
I can heartily recommend the R. I suspect most of the people who dismiss it have never used it. See my post above to see the disadvantages. Basically, it's not my first or even second or third choice for sports or fast action. It's serviceable for birds in flight, but you need a tolerance for a lower keeper rate. Fantastic for portraiture. Great as an all-around body. If you are in the U.S. and act quickly, you can get a refurbished with 24-105 for under $2,200 or body only for under $1,500. But a better deal for body only may be the Canon Price Watch street price for $1,600 since the refurbished models don't include an adapter.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
What limitation? Mirrorless and DSLR are different formats. Each has it's strength and weaknesses. We have yet to see a mirrorless camera that can do everything a DSLR does, just as we have yet to see a DSLR that does everything a mirrorless does. Judging by other comments on this very thread, there remains lots of demand for a 5D V.

As far as the lens mount goes, Canon has repeatedly said the EF mount isn't going away. They have paused development of new lenses to concentrate on the RF mount, but a pause is just that, a pause. And, given the robust selection of EF lenses already available, there aren't a lot of holes in the lineup anyway.

What exactly can a DSLR do that a mirrorless camera can't?

Upvote 0