Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

Jan 29, 2011
What exactly can a DSLR do that a mirrorless camera can't?
Two killer features for me, zero viewfinder lag and realistic representation of what I can see.

Personally I don’t like looking through an EVF for hours and when you do fast panning the lag just upsets my photo mojo, and I hate the lack of DR in EVF’s, my eyesight, though not brilliant, is way better than an EVF, I don’t want or need WYSIWYG I want and need reality and a brain to decide what I want to prioritize.

so what can you mirrorless do that cameras like the 1DX III can’t do?

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Two killer features for me, zero viewfinder lag and realistic representation of what I can see.

Personally I don’t like looking through an EVF for hours and when you do fast panning the lag just upsets my photo mojo, and I hate the lack of DR in EVF’s, my eyesight, though not brilliant, is way better than an EVF, I don’t want or need WYSIWYG I want and need reality and a brain to decide what I want to prioritize.

Interesting. I must preface my response that I started my photography journey with mirrorless cameras (and smartphones :D), so I do not have extensive experience with DSLRs unlike some (or perhaps a majority) of the folks here.

I enjoy the fact that the EVF lets me see the exact representation of the image which will be produced by the camera. I enjoy the truly silent shooting mode of mirrorless cameras. I enjoy the fact I can use the mirrorless camera like a smartphone - u can focus anywhere across the entire sensor, and just touch and drag focus points on the touch screen. I haven't experienced 'viewfinger lag' as you have mentioned. Maybe that's just me.

I see the 1DXIII as a semi-mirrorless camera actually, since it offers alot of the features of mirrorless cameras in its 'live view' mode.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

IBIS and superior RF lenses are two examples right off the bat...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Eye-AF... it works with EF lenses adapted and is a big advantage.
I know. Eye-AF and no AFMA and a little bit smaller equipment would be the #1 features getting me into R system.
But shooting sports, action, wildlife or BIF with the existing EVF are a horror (to me).
This will become better. But will it already with the R5? Don't think so.
So why change?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
For many it will be a process to switch over due to cost. Start with an RF body while using EF lenses and phase in the RF lenses over time as funds permit.
Once again:
I know the advantages of R system (Eye-AF, no AFMA, a little bit smaller...)
But shooting sports, action, wildlife or BIF with the existing EVF are a horror (to me).
So why change (now)?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Sp the pricing will be... ? Lets hear it folks... ______________

$3499 body only. $4199 with the RF 24-105
1 Free 64mb cfexpress card during the initial release.

By the holiday season the following will happen.

The R will drop to $1499 body only. (Local dealer is selling them currently for $1699 now)

RP will drop to $799 and be the cheapest FF mirrorless on the market to go along with more consumerist versions of RF lenses due out.

No source. Just a hunch that Canon wants to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
$3499 body only. $4199 with the RF 24-105
1 Free 64mb cfexpress card during the initial release.

By the holiday season the following will happen.

The R will drop to $1499 body only. (Local dealer is selling them currently for $1699 now)

RP will drop to $799 and be the cheapest FF mirrorless on the market to go along with more consumerist versions of RF lenses due out.

No source. Just a hunch that Canon wants to win.

Here just take my damn money!! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Interesting. I must preface my response that I started my photography journey with mirrorless cameras (and smartphones :D), so I do not have extensive experience with DSLRs unlike some (or perhaps a majority) of the folks here.

I enjoy the fact that the EVF lets me see the exact representation of the image which will be produced by the camera. I enjoy the truly silent shooting mode of mirrorless cameras. I enjoy the fact I can use the mirrorless camera like a smartphone - u can focus anywhere across the entire sensor, and just touch and drag focus points on the touch screen. I haven't experienced 'viewfinger lag' as you have mentioned. Maybe that's just me.

I see the 1DXIII as a semi-mirrorless camera actually, since it offers alot of the features of mirrorless cameras in its 'live view' mode.

++++ I enjoy the fact that the EVF lets me see the exact representation of the image which will be produced by the camera.

A.M.: do you use strobes or flash much? ;)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Was that a question for me? I don't use flash or strobes much. I do mostly travel photography or street photography.
yes, a rhetorical question, I suppose. For someone who use strobes or flash extensively, EVF does not let see the exact representation of the image which will be produced by the camera.

Upvote 0
yes, a rhetorical question, I suppose. For someone who use strobes or flash extensively, EVF does not let see the exact representation of the image which will be produced by the camera.

But neither does an OVF... and if you use proportional modelling lights than the EVF will give some indicatiom

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I know. Eye-AF and no AFMA and a little bit smaller equipment would be the #1 features getting me into R system.
So why change?
Your negative experiences with EVF are not shared by everyone. I know some Sony users who would never go back to OVF. I like OVF but it is not a dealbreaker for me.

Upvote 0
I can heartily recommend the R. I suspect most of the people who dismiss it have never used it. See my post above to see the disadvantages. Basically, it's not my first or even second or third choice for sports or fast action. It's serviceable for birds in flight, but you need a tolerance for a lower keeper rate. Fantastic for portraiture. Great as an all-around body. If you are in the U.S. and act quickly, you can get a refurbished with 24-105 for under $2,200 or body only for under $1,500. But a better deal for body only may be the Canon Price Watch street price for $1,600 since the refurbished models don't include an adapter.
That is good advice. Never used a mirrorless. My 6D serves me fine, but f it craps out, I think I would likely go to mirrorless and the R model would surely serve me fine for my landscspe photography. Retired, on a fixed income, so have to limit spending. I recall the disappointment when the 6D was released. While I feel it is dumbed-down a bit more than necessary, I believe it has sold well and proven itself a good camera. The R is proving also to be very good. Perhaps those putting down mirrorless should rent one and see what they are like. I may eventually do that.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
But neither does an OVF... and if you use proportional modelling lights than the EVF will give some indication
a proportional modelling light..okaaaay.. :) I do events mostly.. my typical lighting is utterly disproportional with flash either bouncing from what I can or flash bender XL Pro on camera. on rare occasion, when I have a live light stand - off camera flash into a 50cm soft box handheld.
I will get around this EVF drama eventually. depends on how good R5 EVF implementation is. for now, I am good with a pair of 5D4's

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Your negative experiences with EVF are not shared by everyone. ...
Can you please accept that it is not working for me and that I am arguing from my perspective?

How many sports/action photogs do you know, that prefer EVF over OVF today? (No matter what brand)

It might surely does work even better for portrait or available light in night scenes. But that is not my main subject.
But a hammer isn't the right tool to unscrew, is it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0