Anyone else ditching the 1dx3 for now?

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I have little doubt the R5 is going to be an excellent camera. While the specs are great, I think it will be great as I already own the 5DIV and it is a great camera and I expect the R5 to be better.

The R5 solves my two primary issues with the 5DIV but also introduces a few other issues. The two issues that will be solved by the R5 are fps and AF point spread. And, I do want to dive past the 12 fps, as I often fill up my buffer when shooting with the 5DIV. Right now I am assuming that I can eliminate this issue by writing exclusively to the rumored CFE card. So, it is not just the 7 fps vs 12 fps, it is the size of burst I have that fps for. AF point spread, IMO, this is the primary benefit of mirrorless. But there is a benefit of using the 80-90% of frame while looking through the viewfinder.

The negatives, I have tried on a couple of occasions, EVFs are ok, they work, and they even have some benefits but I have not used them to the point where I like them. At this point, I still consider it a negative. Then, I am not one of the photographers clamoring for more MP and really think 30 MP is a very nice spot. I know all the arguments, memory is cheap, etc. The counter is I do not like working with large files. They slow everything down. So, I am actually hoping that the R5 is 40 MP (which corresponds to 8K horizontally) and not 45 MP. Final negative is right now I can't use all those RF lenses. So there is no need for me to buy them. As soon as I have an R body, I'll start being tempted by the RF glass but I love my EF lineup. I know I can use adaptors, but I've tried using the M system as a beta for mirrorless and have learned I do not like adapters. It is another step in swapping lenses, it is more caps to keep track of, etc. When I go R, I will drop money on the RF lenses that I most often use.

Then, directly comparing the R5 to 1DX III. First, we still do not know much about the R5. I am excited to hear about hands on experiences. But, I expect Canon to sufficiently differentiate their 1D/R1 line from the 5D/R5 line. AF speed? Battery life? Build quality?

So, add that all up, and I may be making the opposite decision. I am still waiting, but if I had to pick today, I'd order a 1DX III and solve my high FPS and buffer issue. BTW, I am a hobbyist, so this is not an assessment from a professional perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I still have my order in for the 1DX MK III and have no intentions to cancel. That said, waiting for the final announcement of the R5 as I believe it might replace my 5DSR for landscape and will also serve as alternate to the 1DX III for higher resolution perched and possibly flight shots. I'll know more when the R5 is actually released.

Upvote 0
I suspect that as the delays in delivering pre-ordered MK III's continues, for reasons that we really don't know, more and more people will just ditch the MK III for the upcoming new Mirrorless...also complicated by the fact that there is now a world wide recession and some folks may just decide that they either don't want to spend the money or that they don't have the money to spend. I am getting very frustrated...It's almost April and deliveries seem to have stopped in the last month.

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
If you need the features of the 1DX III, then the R5 isn't the camera for you. If the R5 covers your needs then unless you need the status factor there is no reason to go for a 1 series body with the added expense and weight. I shoot primarily sports and the R5 wouldn't work for me. I am very happy with my 1DX III thus far but I haven't been able to use it nearly as much as planned due to the current pandemic. My 1DX II will now be the second body at events and my 1DX original is in semi-retired status although it is still a great camera.

Mirrorless brings both benefits and drawbacks and some of those drawbacks, the EVF in particular, are enough to keep me away. At some point I may pick up one of the mirrorless bodies to replace my 5DS R which doesn't get used for action photography and I am not worried about viewfinder lag or battery life with it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I guess its always the way. You buy something and something else attractive comes along.
I went for the 1DX III. I have been interested in Canon mirrorless but the options so far weren't attractive.
If the R5 was an option back then maybe i would have waited for that instead.
My other thinking was there are only a number of years left where the weight of a 1DX could be tolerated.
I wanted the best focusing possible too and that frame rate.
The 1 DX III has turned up. Unfortunately due to the world as it is there is limited ability to really test it.
The card reader I'm told will be sent directly by Canon at some point in the future.
I didn't own a 1DX II but had used one in the past (a great camera in its own right)
First impressions of the 1DX III are very good but I really need to put it to the test properly.
Focusing is great and no teething problems so far.
Coronavirus is making it difficult to get out an shoot interesting subjects.
The R5 promises to be a great camera. I'll certainly be keeping and eye on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
Hector, I started using the ethernet port built into my earlier 1DX series cameras and the version in the current model is even faster. Mine was an early delivery that shipped with the card reader but I have never used it because I leave both cards in the camera. My reason for doing this with the earlier 1DX series models is the CF pin socket interface is not as robust as many connector series. The CF express cards in the Mark III use a better system but I am satisfied with using the ethernet port for transfer and likely won't change my habits.

At this point the weight doesn't bother me and I use several of the fast primes (200 F2, 300 and 400 F2.8) handheld where the 1 series bodies provides a nice balance and solid camera frame to work well with this heavier glass in that style shooting. I calibrated these same lens to my 5DS R so I can use them in combination but the smaller body just doesn't have the same ergonomic feel to me as the 1 series bodies. I added the Canon battery grip to the 5DS because I missed the extra portrait orientation controls from the 1 series bodies and that gives a little better feel with long heavy glass but still not the feel of a 1DX body.

But it really depends upon what you are shooting and to me the 1DX series are great cameras optimized for sports, particularly in low light situations. If the majority of your use is non-sports then I suspect that the R5 or the rumored 1 series mirrorless equivalent would be excellent and perhaps better choices. Canon makes a wide range of choices and although most of them can handle almost any photography situation, some choices are far better than others for specific shooting.

Hopefully we will both soon be able to spend more time using these cameras as they were intended. Yesterday I shot a few hundred frames of my daughter learning to shoot a 22 rifle. It was interesting to photograph but not what I had in mind when I placed an order for the Mark III.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
As my purchase of the 1dx3 was going to be completely imaginary I have decided not to make imaginary cancellation of its order but rather to simply add an imaginary addition of the R5 and imaginarily use them in tandem. Damn only having imaginary money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
If you need the features of the 1DX III, then the R5 isn't the camera for you. If the R5 covers your needs then unless you need the status factor there is no reason to go for a 1 series body with the added expense and weight. I shoot primarily sports and the R5 wouldn't work for me. I am very happy with my 1DX III thus far but I haven't been able to use it nearly as much as planned due to the current pandemic. My 1DX II will now be the second body at events and my 1DX original is in semi-retired status although it is still a great camera.

Mirrorless brings both benefits and drawbacks and some of those drawbacks, the EVF in particular, are enough to keep me away. At some point I may pick up one of the mirrorless bodies to replace my 5DS R which doesn't get used for action photography and I am not worried about viewfinder lag or battery life with it.
I am curious to know which features of 1dx3 you talking about except battery life and OVF. Thank you.

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
Basic build of the 1 series is more robust than the 5 series (which is basically where the R5 will slot into the Canon line); weather resistance is better with the 1 series bodies and the basic support shell for the camera and lens mount is more robust which is important when using the great white primes in a sometimes rough sports environment. These characteristics add cost and weight and it doesn't make sense to use this sort of build for every model in the line.

Others will have different reasons for choosing or not choosing a 1 series so my list isn't comprehensive but I am only deciding for me personally about what is important. And for video, I use a dedicated camcorder (XF-400) because I don't like shooting video with a standard camera body but for someone who is more interested in video with a single camera then that might influence the 1 series versus R5 decision.

For my use, the 1 series remains the best for ME but it certainly is not the proper choice for everyone. Some of the mirrorless adopters have become rather evangelical in their need to convert everyone much like some of the Tesla car fan types :( Cameras are used for a wide range of tasks in a wide range of environments and none are perfect for every situation so the proper choice has to be best for the individual and not for a fan club of any body type or technology.

Upvote 0
I am in a different position , I am looking at starting from scratch so I was thinking of buying the MK3 and some EF lenses ,
but I am not really going to need to use something that high end , and think the R5 will give me what I want .
I was only considering the MK3 for some occasional wildlife photography ,
but I would rather invest in RF glass and head down the mirrorless route now.
If I need a better camera body I can always look at the R1 coming next year .

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am in a different position , I am looking at starting from scratch ...
If so, there are ony a few reasons to got 1Dx3 and EF as R/RF is the future.

... I am not really going to need to use something that high end ...
Only Reasons I could see are sports/action/wildlife where IMO an OVF is still superior to EVF.
Maybe Servo AF tracking is still better with 1Dx3. But we have no information on the R5 here right now.
But if you are more into portrait, event, etc. do as you said and spend the money in wide aperture RF glass.
Enjoy your gear ;)

Upvote 0
If so, there are ony a few reasons to got 1Dx3 and EF as R/RF is the future.

Only Reasons I could see are sports/action/wildlife where IMO an OVF is still superior to EVF.
Maybe Servo AF tracking is still better with 1Dx3. But we have no information on the R5 here right now.
But if you are more into portrait, event, etc. do as you said and spend the money in wide aperture RF glass.
Enjoy your gear ;)
For the little bit of wildlife I will do and with the new cat, dog and bird tracking system on the R5 , I think it will be all I need out of it in that dept .
As you say most of my work will be portrait and weddings so no need for the MK3 , the R5 should give me everything I need at the moment .

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Let's wait and see if the AF will be so different. I believe on paper yes, but not in real life.

Still haven't seen any mirrorless get close to 1DX level tracking when talking about indoor sports. I'd be happy if they could.

I can see difference in AF accuracy between my 1DX (Mark1) and 5D4 when shooting indoor sports.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0