When will we see another price drop on the Canon EOS R?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think we are in uncharted territory right now. Retailers are hurting and it is likely to get worse before it gets better, so that should create downward pressure on prices. On the other hand, the supply chain has been disrupted, so even if dealers have stock on hand, they may not know when they will get restocked, which would create upward pressure on prices. Eventually, I think we will see prices drop again if the situation stabilizes.

My sense is that right now the major dealers are taking a look at their existing stock and trying to clear some of it out in order to produce cash flow. There have been some great bargains lately on a few lenses and the Canon refurb store has let their sale run unusually long and offered extra discounts on some items. If you aren't too selective, but are looking for the best bargains, this is a good time to shop. If you have a specific item you are looking for, it may not be so great if it's a high demand item.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Fine for the US, but with the coronavirus, the US dollar has surged, increasing prices of many imports in New Zealand. The Eos R has increased from $2860 when I bought it in October last year to $3300 now. (1 NZD is 60 cents US).
I did not see anything in the original post saying New Zealand. Why do you think he is asking about New Zealand??

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
I doubt it. With the 7D II a few years ago they had really low Christmas prices, I think it was $1100, and then they bumped back up and stayed there. shortly afterwards I didn't see the 7DII alone, they all came with the wireless adapter. Recent rebates have only came down to $1400.

I'm guessing they've cleared inventory already and don't have enough supply to satisfy demand from another large discount.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I did not see anything in the original post saying New Zealand. Why do you think he is asking about New Zealand??
No, but at that price I suggest he is talking about the US. The second poster cited US sites.
My point was, you might expect price drops if paying USD. I don't, so with the appreciating USD, we in NZ, at least, will pay more in the short term.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Is that seller legit? Manufacturer sealed?
I wonder when B&H and Adorama... retailers will start dropping prices.
If you're only comfortable buying from authorized retailers, you'll likely have to wait at least until the release of the R5 & R6, and at most until next November.

Upvote 0
Fine for the US, but with the coronavirus, the US dollar has surged, increasing prices of many imports in New Zealand. The Eos R has increased from $2860 when I bought it in October last year to $3300 now. (1 NZD is 60 cents US).

$3300 is very high even in NZD. I paid AUD $1600 for my EOS R.. reduced due to minor damage to the box, but otherwise brand new and with the Canon Australia 5 year warranty. Very hard to pass up a deal like that!

Upvote 0