Canon announcements will continue as previously planned

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon plans to continue their scheduled announcement dates for new products, including the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6, and a new Cinema camera.
The EOS R5 and EOS R6 are scheduled to be announced in the next 8 weeks or so, and a new Cinema Camera should come in April.
Announcements for new lenses may get pushed back I have been told.
The downside is ship dates are a complete unknown at this time, which I think is an expected reality.
More to come…

Continue reading...

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
my .02

R5 - $3995.00
R6 - $2499.00

I'm basing those guesses off of the S1H and S1 prices. For the cinema camera my dream C series would be an RF mount C200 Mark II with 4K 120FPS, 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 internal, and RAW 12 bit 4K externally via HDMI.

If Canon made this dream come true I would get the C200 II and the R6 to replace my GH5. I'd then hold off a year or so and stick to my 5D IV for photography until the dust settled.

OK, I'll wake up now....C200 II is probably 3yrs out.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I would think that, if they announce it, they also have a release date that's not too far in the future. Otherwise, they might as well just hold off and stick to the (already made) development announcement.

Sigma reported that their supply line isn't really interrupted by the whole virus thing; they had a bit of a delay with components being produced in China but that production already has restarted. I could imagine the impact for Canon is about the same; a slight delay but one that can be managed

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I believe the biggest problem of Canon with the new products is not the production line! Like edoorn said above, I think they did had some delay with some parts, but nothing that could delay significantly the products. So the biggest problem is the Economy in hole world! We all know that this cameras are going to make a huge splash in sales and they are going to be a huge success! Have no doubts in that! The problem is the world economy right now cause we have a lot of people out of work now, retained in home (like me...) and we are all a bit nervous of course. So people will hold back huge expenses cause we don´t know what´s coming....And Canon will have to think if they want to release at the same of this crisis, having the possibility that cameras wont sell so good in the beginning.

At this momento only Chinese market is getting normal. Europe and USA are quite disturbed. I guess it´s a decision Canon must take, to release the cameras even having the danger of not selling so much at the beginning, or release it anyway and selling what they can in the beginning and waiting for the 4th quarter of the year to sell big.

I know I will buy the R5 at least! And like me a bunch of guys! But yeah....It´s not the best of the moments to release cameras....However I am happy to know that there are no delays!! :) :) Let Canon unleash the beast!!!! :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I do not think that there will be a DSLR 5D ever again. (After anouncement of the R5 & R6)
They also never made another analog Canon 5 after having the 5D. ;)

Cheers
Canon Rumors Guy has said he believes there will be a 5DV. His information is probably better than your opinion. We’ve beat this debate into the ground. How about we not start it over again?

Upvote 0

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
I work for Compal, who manufacturers most of Dell's notebook lines. The release dates for all of our current projects were pushed out when production in China was halted but most of them are back on track now without much delay; some ~ 1 month.

However, some projects are still having issues procuring a few vendor parts such as cables. We have dozens of projects and deal with several different vendors for each one so I am hoping 2 Canon projects (R5 and R6), likely with many shared components and vendors, will be able to continue production with minimal impact. If they have trouble getting parts from any manufacturers, they should be able to source it from a different vendor pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I understand that the Sony a7s III is expected to be announced sometime in April.

You don't think that Canon would wait for that announcement and then come in with their announcement shortly thereafter to steal their thunder, do you?

That would be very underhanded.;)

It´s a marketing move and I am not the most qualified on that matter. However I do know that for me it´s not about who launches first, it´s about who launches the best product!
If Canon launches first could destroy the hype of Sony straight away if Canon product is better. If Canon launch after, could destroy at same time Sony right after their launch. Thing is...have better product! I give you the example of the Nikon D6. Nikon launch the D6 after the 1dx mkIII. Well....that launch was a complete joke after Canon launched first the 1dx mkIII! Why? Cause Canon was highly superior! It´s not the moment it´s the product itself!
Hey but thats just for me, i am not a marketing guy, I buy stuff! :)

Saying that, just a quick remember that Canon doesn´t really have a "rival" on that segment because it simply don´t have that segment! What approaches more to an hypothetical Sony A7S3 is the Canon R5 and that one we will only have it in May, so after the Sony announcement.
What could be interesting to see is if Sony announce the new A7IV in April 20 and compare that one to the R6 which I believe they will compete in that segment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
With New York closed down, New Jersey close to shut down, I wonder if products could make it to warehouses. There is a lot more to releasing a new model than we may realize. For example, service center people must be trained, new tools may be required, spare parts stocked, software updated, and the Canon USA service centers are closed.

I think there is a realistic hope for things to start opening up around the end of June, but we really don't know.

Then, there is the question of who will have money to buy them. Many people are out of work, including wedding photographers. Purchases of a wedding camera (5 series) may be delayed by many potential buyers. Presumably, older buyers have more funds, but they are also more likely to get sick and the smart ones are laying low.

I'm thinking that the folks in Japan may be a little out of touch with how bad it is in the rest of the world. Japan is doing much better than other crowded and highly populated countries.

The development and availability of mass testing for millions is coming, that may help plan for the future.

I think the idea of a 5 series Mirrorless is something I look forward to, but I don't expect to see one in a nearby shop before August or September at best.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Eight weeks or so would likely mean an announcement sometime in June. If they target the release date for two months after the announcement, it would put the actual release date in the August-September range. Given what we are seeing with the 1DxIII, it's possible that pre-orders would be filled fairly soon after and then there could be significant delays for several months after those first orders are filled.

Like others, to me the big unknown is supply chain issues. I don't know to what extent Canon subcontracts with vendors in other countries. I know that the higher end cameras have always been "made in Japan" but don't know what that means in terms of parts. Certainly things like manuals, camera straps, packaging and other components are manufactured elsewhere, but there are plenty of companies around the world that can print manuals, packaging etc. China claims to be getting COVID-19 under control, but it's becoming increasingly clear that the government there is lying, so that makes it harder to know what the real impact is likely to be in the rest of the world. Korea, which is a democracy and more transparent, is probably a better example for determining the trajectory of the impact on the manufacturing chain.

If I were Canon, I would stretch the announcement date out until sometime in June, then push the release date to the August-Sept time frame, have enough bodies and kits on hand to meet initial demand and then dribble them out from that point on until things get back to normal. Having them in short supply is unlikely to cost them sales. That seems to be the model they are following with the 1Dx III.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
my .02

R5 - $3995.00
R6 - $2499.00

I'm basing those guesses off of the S1H and S1 prices. For the cinema camera my dream C series would be an RF mount C200 Mark II with 4K 120FPS, 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 internal, and RAW 12 bit 4K externally via HDMI.

If Canon made this dream come true I would get the C200 II and the R6 to replace my GH5. I'd then hold off a year or so and stick to my 5D IV for photography until the dust settled.

OK, I'll wake up now....C200 II is probably 3yrs out.

I hope you are too pesimistic. Realisticly, BlackMagic Pocket 4K camera, GH5, Sony's line, etc., are all 4K 60fps cameras with identical or even better specs than R6 (only 20 MP sensor on R6, really?) and they are priced around $1.000-$1.300 and have been out for years. So Canon has no business pricing R6 anywhere close to 2k. It belongs to $1.300 price range since it is offering something others have been for years, so it shouldn't be priced above that price range. Having said that, we all know Canon will ramp up the price as usual.
Same goes for R5, BlackMagic 6K camera is $2.500, so R5 should comparably be around $3.000-$3.500.
But we all know Canon will probably put the cameras out with prices similar to what you proposed. To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

Just my 2 cents...dissapointed...

Upvote 0
I hope you are too pesimistic. Realisticly, BlackMagic Pocket 4K camera, GH5, Sony's line, etc., are all 4K 60fps cameras with identical or even better specs than R6 (only 20 MP sensor on R6, really?) and they are priced around $1.000-$1.300 and have been out for years. So Canon has no business pricing R6 anywhere close to 2k. It belongs to $1.300 price range since it is offering something others have been for years, so it shouldn't be priced above that price range. Having said that, we all know Canon will ramp up the price as usual.
Same goes for R5, BlackMagic 6K camera is $2.500, so R5 should comparably be around $3.000-$3.500.
But we all know Canon will probably put the cameras out with prices similar to what you proposed. To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

Just my 2 cents...dissapointed...

And can you tell me how can you compare a Blackmagic camera to these cameras?? They are quite different! I know what you mean, you are comparing with video usability and specs, but Canon cameras are much more than that! Between a 1300$ Blackmagic and a 2000$ Canon that not only films but also make fantastic photos what you choose? I guess what fits you better, but in terms of what a camera can give to you, Canon ones can deliver so much more!! If you want a camera just for filming i guess Blackmagic can be your choice! But hell...Canon give you dual pixel focus and one of the best AF in the market! That doesn´t count? Or should Canon forget about that and price the camera just like another camera that doesn´t have anything near that!!!????
If you want to compare you might compare the panasonic S1 (priced 2000$ now) that would be a much more fair comparison! Even though, Canon Af and photo quality is far superior!

Don´t make that kind of comparisons! We all loved that the cameras were cheaper, but dont blame Canon for making huge cameras but slight expensive! It is what it is! Take it...or not....that´s your choice

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0