Canon U.S.A. To Host Virtual Press Conference For New Professional Imaging Products And Technologies

Jan 30, 2020
I'm not sure why people are saying R5 and R6.

This is what the announcement says.

“The road ahead is long and filled with uncertainty, but when the broadcast and cinema industries are ready to resume ‘normal’ activities, Canon wants them to know we will be there to continue to support professionals with new products and technologies that meet their needs.”

The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies.

R5 nor R6 are not broadcast or cinema products.
"Oh, and one more thing...."

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I went back to read the announcement over again, it sure sound like cinema related announcement but I am still hopeful.
I have to agree, unfortunately I think it is just the cinema announcement and the EOS R5 may be in May as originally planned, although they did say it may be April or May so who knows. I'd love it to be April and although in lockdown, I'm sure having the R5 would allow many hours of play to happen at home or in the garden getting used to it.

Upvote 0
I am an early adopter of the RF Mount. I have the following RF lenses;

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4

I love the EOS R for most of what I do but R5's 45MP, 12 FPS and a snappier performance would make it a perfect camera for me. I am hoping that they at least announce it and start shipping in June. (All depending on the pandemic I know)

That's quite the collection! A lot of overlap though, is there a reason for that? Personally a 35mm, 50mm, 85mm cover everything I would ever need. Cheers

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why people are saying R5 and R6.

This is what the announcement says.

“The road ahead is long and filled with uncertainty, but when the broadcast and cinema industries are ready to resume ‘normal’ activities, Canon wants them to know we will be there to continue to support professionals with new products and technologies that meet their needs.”

The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies.

R5 nor R6 are not broadcast or cinema products.
That's what I read too. Although I was kind of secretly hoping a R5 announcement would be made. Hopes dashed, move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am an early adopter of the RF Mount. I have the following RF lenses;

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4
Sacre Bleu!! Nice budget!! I only have the 15-35 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8 and trying to decide whether to go for the 85 1.2, but still hesitating with the hope we get wind of a 14mm f1.4 for night-scapes. Of course, the R5 is a given for my next purchase.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You know what? You are very right. The RF 50 for example, I barely use, but when I do, the results are just gorgeous. RF 85 is my main portrait lens, it is big but manageable. I however do not use it for any other purpose. I have asked myself that if there is an RF 35 f/1.2 and RF 135 f/1.8. Would I need the 24-70 and 70-200? I think it all depends on the environment that you shoot in. If you are an event photographer, the zooms may be more beneficial. I love the looks of the RF Prime lenses but depending on what you do, you may benefit more from the flexibility of the zooms.
Thanks for the feedback. Since I am just a pro-sumer (this is my main hobby) taking lots of landscapes and flower/portrait pictures as I walk, I've found that I want the fewest number of lenses as I go, preferably one (or two lenses with two bodies so there's no lens switching). I'd probably be happiest with a ~80MP R IBIS body with RF 70-200 f2.8 IS and a 2nd identical body with RF 24-70 f2.8 IS (or ~20-70 f2.8 if they ever made it). While I'd love to have wide primes like RF 85 1.2 DS for the smoothest bokeh, I know that I wouldn't use it enough to justify carrying & switching lenses. I would consider adding a ~200-600 zoom if it's compact & light enough. The only other feature I'd like is for telephoto macro use. I'd prefer if they had close enough focus on the telephoto zoom I got to be near-macro (say 0.7X magnification) so that I'd have that ability without changing lenses - but otherwise I would consider a prime telephoto (~200mm) super macro if it was so exceptional (eg. 1.5X or more).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sacre Bleu!! Nice budget!! I only have the 15-35 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8 and trying to decide whether to go for the 85 1.2, but still hesitating with the hope we get wind of a 14mm f1.4 for night-scapes. Of course, the R5 is a given for my next purchase.
The 85mm 1.2 is amazing, you wouldn't be disappointed with that one :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The only thing stopping me from getting the R5 is the existential problem: It doesn't exist. (Well, OK if the price is scary I might wait.) I have no RF lenses yet but will probably buy it with the 24-105 L and bring over a couple of EF lenses. I just wish the control ring adapter came as part of a kit (even if the kit costs $100 more with it).
My advice would be to skip the 24-105 and save up for the the 24-70. That is, unless you want the 24-105 for a walk around lens. In that case it goes fantastic with the EOS r. But for the upcoming R5, I'd say match it with the 24-70.
Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Since this is RIGHT before NAB was supposed to start, this will definitely be a cinema announcement (seeming like the C300 III). However, because they have been touting the R5 as having 8K and all of that, they may announce full specs and shipments at the same time - especially if the cinema camera they announce has at least the option for an RF Mount.

Would love for the new C300 to have an RF Mount option and then the R5 as a b-cam and gimbal cam. Makes a lot of sense to me. And the C500 and 1DX as the EF version of the same or similar setup.

We'll see.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...However, because they have been touting the R5 as having 8K and all of that, they may announce full specs and shipments at the same time

Wishful thinking. Canon is not going to waste an opportunity to give both of these products big individual announcements. Especially since, with the entire world pretty much shut down, they can dominate the photographic and cinema news cycles with each announcement.

Upvote 0