RF mount cinema camera in the works [CR2]

Komodo doesn't make total sense IMHO.
RF mount aps-c?! There's not native aps-c glass. No native wide angles.Ok adapters, boosters, etc but not ideal.
Komodo will be an "adapt lenses here" camera from day one, hate it

Komodo who? This justifies me buying the F2 holy trinity to go with my Eos R.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Unless you are independently wealthy, be smart with any equipment purchases you make going forward! This is going to take years to recover from.

I have to wonder how many of those C series cameras especially the C-500 III that were picked up on the Canon no money down lease program will be showing up on the refurb list going forward.

Upvote 0
Why would Canon need to release a CXXX camera to judge the demand for RF lenses?

Canon has already staked its future on RF lenses. Cinema cameras are mirrorless cameras. The transition must begin.

It's a good move to start at the low end of the market, as many in this segment use still camera lenses to make video, as it's cheaper. Also, Canon, make this one full frame.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Wow, Canon FD lenses on cinema cameras possible ... and EF lenses with ONE 4 ... 500 ND filter using the corresponding EF RF adapter.
EDIT: And video related lenses for my EOS RP :) Some 50-200 f/4 would be great !

Better get those excellent FD lenses while you can. Prices will start going up with the RF system.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I hope they keep the C100 form factor. Needs to have 2/4/6 stops internal ND for it to be an attractive alternative to the R5 IMO. I'd buy an C100 RF/III in a heartbeat.
I agree, this needs to stay a cinema form factor with XLR inputs and internal ND filters to remain an attractive proposition. The R5 and R6 can be used for gimbal work and this should stay in the cinema line.

Upvote 0
Better get those excellent FD lenses while you can. Prices will start going up with the RF system.
True, but I am in a more or less lucky situation: I startet with photography in the mid 1980s and bought different FD lenses during the 1990s at bargain prices while the EF system was gaining market shares. In 2001 I bought my first digital camera, a PowerShot G2 and I realized that FD lenses weren't worth a penny (some exaggeration).
And Silcon Film hat a 35mm digital cardridge solution in the pipe but I think it never left it and the sensor was very small http://www.siliconfilm.com/ .

So i have e.g. a 17mm or a 300mm both f/4 but optically the best lenses I own are the 2.8 28mm S.C., the 1.4 50mm S.S.C. and the 2.5 135mm S.C. - but NO comparison to modern designs in IQ (mostly chromatic aberrations and no in camera profiles available, Canon: give us a lens profile app!) but topping most current lenses mechanically.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
True, but I am in a more or less lucky situation: I startet with photography in the mid 1980s and bought different FD lenses during the 1990s at bargain prices while the EF system was gaining market shares. In 2001 I bought my first digital camera, a PowerShot G2 and I realized that FD lenses weren't worth a penny (some exaggeration).
And Silcon Film hat a 35mm digital cardridge solution in the pipe but I think it never left it and the sensor was very small http://www.siliconfilm.com/ .

So i have e.g. a 17mm or a 300mm both f/4 but optically the best lenses I own are the 2.8 28mm S.C., the 1.4 50mm S.S.C. and the 2.5 135mm S.C. - but NO comparison to modern designs in IQ (mostly chromatic aberrations and no in camera profiles available, Canon: give us a lens profile app!) but topping most current lenses mechanically.

The older and especially the old R and FL lenses can give a unique and creative look that the sterile perfect lenses cannot produce and I see this as exciting especially for video creativity.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Just drop the R5 in a cinema camera body with ND filters and XLR audio and we're good to go!
I think we better wait for all of the specs of the R5 before we make a wish like that. Also, I doubt they will put a FF sensor in a C100 body, they will want you to pay a lot more for that feature.

Upvote 0
I think we better wait for all of the specs of the R5 before we make a wish like that. Also, I doubt they will put a FF sensor in a C100 body, they will want you to pay a lot more for that feature.

I agree that they are unlikely to put a FF sensor, it was wishful thinking. The proof is always in the pudding. I may already have the R5 before the C100 comes to market anyway, and it's unlikely that I'll buy both. There's a good ND solution for the R5 in the adapter, which will work awesome with my remaining Canon lenses, and there are options to solve the XLR audio problem. I'd prefer an all-in-one package, but it's likely that I will be able to work just fine with the R5 ( of the upcoming A7s mark III, depending on which is most compelling )

Upvote 0
It's been awhile, but the RED Komodo camera is now out in the wild. Footage comparisons against the Helium are out as well. Has a global shutter and some of the sample shots show no skew at all. Firmware still in alpha, and there isn't AF yet and a number of features. Also only supports the EF protocol now, but it is an RF mount so will eventually support RF lenses. ProRes and R3D, 6k40, 4k60, 2k120, S35 sensor, wireless control and SDI out. Takes BP batteries from Canon's C series cams.

Every week a new color will come out until they get to the production unit. $7k custom colors and $6k black eventually. Seems like a much better deal than a Z Cam with its widely unsupported ZRAW.

Upvote 0