Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

Sep 18, 2019
So on a camera like the M50, if the screen is turned inwards and you put the camera up to your eye...by your logic the screen should come on, even though you can't possibly see the screen. Not full time like you're suggesting would happen with the popup EVF.
No, if the screen is turned inwards, the eye-detection sensor, mounted in the same "flap" as the screen, would also face inwards and would thus be covered by the body of the camera, this being interpreted by the eye-sensor as a face at the viewfinder. Therefore, it would switch the screen OFF (not on) and switch ON the EVF, regardless of whether you're actually looking through the viewfinder. This would waste power by having the EVF activated when it didn't need to be.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
M5 II with bigger grip, integrated 3.7MP EVF, joystick, dual card slots, bigger buffer, further improvements to AF, higher res LCD, better weatheer sealing, more video features, essentially a 7DIII in EOS-M mount would be a huge improvement over the M6 II. Worth another $300.

I agree. I would like to upgrade from my 7Dii, but there is not a good option. One option is to spend a lot on the R5 and use a crop mode to get the same reach as an APS-C sensor. (Yes, I would use crop mode because with small birds, the rest of the frame is wasted and no reason to deal with larger file sizes than needed.) I could see a plan where Canon keeps all APS-C cameras in the M series and full frame in the R series. If they are NOT going to make an R version of the 7D with APS-C, then a high end M series, weather sealing, etc makes sense. I would go that route.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
No, if the screen is turned inwards, the eye-detection sensor, mounted in the same "flap" as the screen, would also face inwards and would thus be covered by the body of the camera, this being interpreted by the eye-sensor as a face at the viewfinder. Therefore, it would switch the screen OFF (not on) and switch ON the EVF, regardless of whether you're actually looking through the viewfinder. This would waste power by having the EVF activated when it didn't need to be.

You're right, I had it bass-ackwards.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?
As an avid hiker, the M50 with a 22mm F2 EF-M mount lens is hard to beat. I can put this combo in a pocket. Can you do that with an RP combo? There are more than a handful of us out here that love our M series bodies and are most happy that Canon is still actively supporting the M series mount for a group of people that are definitely still buying them. There are also many out there that think all cameras are a waste, obsoleted by their respective favorite cell ph cams. Bottom line, it's nice to have choices and alternatives that fit our particular needs.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I moved from 40D to M. I have never look back. Cell phone is a good tool as long as you look at the picture on the cell phone. My wife uses the 7S and I use the M50 and M2 when we travel. When we look at the picture on our device. a lot of time the picture from 7S actually beats the M's, for both indoor and out door, especially indoor. After we go home and look at them at the full computer screen (24") the table turns. At pixel level, it is even worse. I am still searching for an anwer. May be someone in the forum can shine some light on it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nikon's Z series has an even larger diameter mount, and that hasn't stopped them producing a very well received mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor, the Z-50.

It remains to be seen whether or not Nikon will be successful with their Z-mount APS-C system. While the Z50 certainly is an interesting first start, their system is saddled with 2 major handicaps:
1. they came extremely late to the party
2. Z-mount is way "oversized" for APS-C image circle. Compared to Canon EF-M, Sony E and Fuji X it does not allow for as compact cameras and lenses. Even when a small segment of potential users prefers "chunky" camera bodies, it is fairly easy to make camera body bigger or add additional grips etc. to a very compact system, but it is impossible to shave size off a larger system.

Overall, success of any crop sensor system depends directly on how well it achieves two goals: 1. smaller/lighter than FF and 2. less expensive than FF gear. Canon EOS M is market leader in mirrorfree ILC systems, because it scores highest of all competitors - towards both targets.Especially M50 was a major breakthrough: outstanding price/value ratio and compact form factor. Nothing directly comparable from any other maker.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I moved from 40D to M. I have never look back. Cell phone is a good tool as long as you look at the picture on the cell phone. My wife uses the 7S and I use the M50 and M2 when we travel. When we look at the picture on our device. a lot of time the picture from 7S actually beats the M's, for both indoor and out door, especially indoor. After we go home and look at them at the full computer screen (24") the table turns. At pixel level, it is even worse. I am still searching for an anwer. May be someone in the forum can shine some light on it

The display on the cell phone is developped to be very good with a lot of pixels in a very tiny area (same level of pixel the phone camera has), where the display on your camera is just a control display with less pixels, to frame the picture and check if parameters are well adjusted. Even if they made big progress on camera screens lately, they stay below a phone, because it is not the purpose.

The number of pixel on the cell phone is high, but with a little sensor. It fit perfectly for a little screen with high definition, for both, pixels are very tiny. But light per pixel is very low and to compensate the loss of light they make aftertreatments that lower again the quality of the picture, but fit perfectly for their screen. No secret, all little artificial effects you can find on a phone are lowering the quality of the picture (but they are smart enough to make it not visible on the phone screen).
Then if you want to display this kind of picture in a bigger screen, even if the number of pixel is the same, you will make the defects biggers visually. You can experience it just printing a phone picture on postcard size.The result will be bad and not homogeneous. Because making a picture bigger than the original shot is the baddest thing you want to do. You can limit the loss using a good software, but it is never good enough. In most cases, the way you display (computer OS, print website) will drive the oversize and you will not be able to control it or make adjustments, so it is often bad.

In the other hand, the picture from the camera is standardized and calibrated by the manufacturer to fit the more common and wider screens or uses like your 24".
If you check your pictures from the M into the phone you should allready see a better comparative level, but not yet totally in favor of the camera because depends on the OS/software/app/website that will reduce the picture to display it. Esay to eperiment with gradients or over exposed areas on instagram or facebook.
This is the proof these medias (mainly phone app) reduce the quality of your picture when you post it, so a big quality for this kind of media is useless. The phone manufacturers know it, and this is their main market, so they do what is necessary for it but not more.
If you process your pictures from your camera on a software like lightroom, you can export it in the best ratio quality/size for the use you plan after, so with a camera, it is possible to fit perfectly a phone screen, but also a good quality print or wider screens.

To sum up:
  • Phone picture are ok for phone/phone app use only, no tool can adapt keeping quality for bigger sizes.
  • Camera picture are ok for almost every uses when you use the good tool to fit the size.

Upvote 0
I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?
The lenses. I don’t see Canon adding f2 or f2.8 primes to the RF line. It’s about professional use and low light. The M is about traveling light. Let’s wait for the RF 85/1.8 and M 52/2 and see the difference. It’s going to be significant at least from traveling photographer’s point of view.
There is market for both series.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
No, I really wanted an M like the original M, without EVF. I hate the EVF on the M50, good riddance! The solitary bees emerged this weekend and I did notice that I very much want the tilty-flippy screen back, the M6II screen articulation is only useful if you like photographing nose hair.

If I really need and EVF+flash I use the RP, which I do like. Same screen as the M50, but much better optics in front of it.

Maybe not for you, then. But eight other folks agreed with my previous comment enough to "like" it. How many did that for yours?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

It's the number one selling mirrorless system on the planet right now?
That revenue stream is necessary for Canon to maintain profitability in the face of a drastic reduction in overall demand for ILCs?
The people at whom the M-series system is aimed is a different (and more numerous) group of buyers than the people at whom the R-series system is aimed?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
M5 II with bigger grip, integrated 3.7MP EVF, joystick, dual card slots, bigger buffer, further improvements to AF, higher res LCD, better weatheer sealing, more video features, essentially a 7DIII in EOS-M mount would be a huge improvement over the M6 II. Worth another $300.

I'd be interested in such a camera, but I do not think Canon is interested in taking the M-series that far upmarket.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd be interested in such a camera, but I do not think Canon is interested in taking the M-series that far upmarket.

I wouldn't be surprised to work their way a little bit up from the M6-II however. For instance, a camera like the M6-II with a viewfinder, flip screen and IBIS. A joystick and 2 slots (like Mr, Majestyk also mentioned) would be "pro level" features, though (yeah, and I'm exposing myself to some incoming fire by using that term; I'll duck right after I hit POST REPLY). Maybe incremental AF improvements and video features? Especially if that's "just software." (Again, I will duck.)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised to work their way a little bit up from the M6-II however. For instance, a camera like the M6-II with a viewfinder, flip screen and IBIS. A joystick and 2 slots (like Mr, Majestyk also mentioned) would be "pro level" features, though (yeah, and I'm exposing myself to some incoming fire by using that term; I'll duck right after I hit POST REPLY). Maybe incremental AF improvements and video features? Especially if that's "just software." (Again, I will duck.)

If it's aimed at the 7D Mark II crowd, IBIS would cost more than it is worth. The short exposure times needed for sports/action (or even low cost reportage) lower the value of having IBIS in a body.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If it's aimed at the 7D Mark II crowd, IBIS would cost more than it is worth. The short exposure times needed for sports/action (or even low cost reportage) lower the value of having IBIS in a body.

I suspect what I described wouldn't satisfy them anyway; 2 card slots and weatherproofing is a big deal, both to them and to the birders who also like the 7D.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I suspect what I described wouldn't satisfy them anyway; 2 card slots and weatherproofing is a big deal, both to them and to the birders who also like the 7D.

Agreed, though weatherproofing is far more desired than dual card slots for the action/sports/bird shooters. Even with a camera having two card slots, most are willing to accept the minimal "risk" of only using one card in exchange for larger buffers when shooting long continuous bursts. (Well, maybe unless one is using a camera like the 1D X Mark III that has a near unlimited buffer due to the incredible speed of CFExpress.)

That's why I stated earlier that although I'd be interested in such a camera, I doubt Canon is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
When I bought my M5 on launch it was mostly for web video clips, because of auto-focus in video mode, something my 1D and many other cameras didn’t do at that time. It also doubled up as a B/C camera and my fun, casual shooting, compact holiday camera.

I don’t regret buying the M5, much praise here has also been given to the petite 22mm f2 pancake lens, a fabulous little lens and perfectly suited to a compact camera range such as the M series.

Had the M50 been out at the time I bought my M5 I would have bought an M50 over the M5, because of the improved auto-focus system and Vari Angle Screen and it was hundreds of £’s cheaper on launch at that time making it excellent value.

As some have already stated on here the M50 is currently the biggest selling Mirrorless camera on the market, with good reason. It’s not a great camera at any one thing but a very good all-round compact camera. The M Series is a system that pro’s, enthusiasts and beginners can all use and get something from.

Extra weather sealing maybe! But I can’t ever see Canon putting dual card slots in compact M series bodies. I’m hoping they make other improvements such as higher res screens and EVF’s as well as enhanced sensors, and processors so they can make improvements with fps, ISO and auto-focus and add IBIS.

Upvote 0
But I can’t ever see Canon putting dual card slots in compact M series bodies.

Any EOS M body sized like M50 or up (M5, M6) can easily accomodate dual SD UHS-II card slots that are more than fast enough even for very high fps and 4k video [see Fuji X-T4 with uncropped 4k60 and 20fps stills continuous].

Canon really could and should launch an "EOS M7" with 32 MP sensor (as in M6 II), only slightly bigger than M5 and with all features *at least on par* with Fuji X-T4. With state of the art AF, state of the art EVF, IBIS, full weathersealing and a "real" powerpack like the one in X-T4 for 500 shots CIPA. It would be better than any 7D III DSLR could have been.

Price it at €/USD 1499 MSRP (body) and sell it by the boatload. With nice profit.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Any EOS M body sized like M50 or up (M5, M6) can easily accomodate dual SD UHS-II card slots that are more than fast enough even for very high fps and 4k video [see Fuji X-T4 with uncropped 4k60 and 20fps stills continuous].

Canon really could and should launch an "EOS M7" with 32 MP sensor (as in M6 II), only slightly bigger than M5 and with all features *at least on par* with Fuji X-T4. With state of the art AF, state of the art EVF, IBIS, full weathersealing and a "real" powerpack like the one in X-T4 for 500 shots CIPA. It would be better than any 7D III DSLR could have been.

Price it at €/USD 1499 MSRP (body) and sell it by the boatload. With nice profit.
the only products that currently sell by boatloads is : surgical masks and disinfectants. oh, toilet paper was also flying of the shelf in land Downunder up until now.

EOS R5 crop mode is the only real alternative at this stage. albeit not at $1500 price mark. I am sorry to disappoint you. M7, 7d or R7 is not happening anytime soon if ever. take my words to the bank.

Upvote 0