5Ghz wifi capabilities confirmed for the Canon EOS R5

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If you’re a pro, you should capture less photo with at least 70% retention and delete less.

These days wedding photog will shoot up to 10k/wk of photos and retain less than 10%
Doesn't your 2nd statement sort of contradict your 1st statement?? Anywhooo, yes, Pro's may be better at 1st time capture but often capture multiple images, especially if at sporting events which need sorting through etc etc.

Most editing and culling happens post production anyway so the erganomics issue of the play & delete buttons is not that relevant. my original point was, the buttons are fine and not an ergonomic problem unless you are doing a massive amount of on the go editing / deleting using these buttons. Not something to get hung up on...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
(Looking at that above pic of the R5 backside...)

As mentioned before, the play and delete button are next to each other but if you leave the confirmation alone and don't bypass it, blah blah blah.....
That's one of the great things about the Canon menus, you can decide if you want to just delete images without a confirmation or have the safety net of having to confirm deletion. Your choice. it works fine on the R.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else wondering how the layout of the controls on the back of the R5 seems to be slightly different than the 5DIV (and others)?
This will seem different to normal Canon users, but will it be better?
Is it because the overall size of the body is smaller perhaps? Along with a larger screen.
At first glance, I'm not sure it's an improvement? If there's one thing that I've come to appreciate with Canon bodies, it's there ergonomics.
it‘s a smaller body, so some changes would be needed.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Doesn't your 2nd statement sort of contradict your 1st statement?? Anywhooo, yes, Pro's may be better at 1st time capture but often capture multiple images, especially if at sporting events which need sorting through etc etc.

Most editing and culling happens post production anyway so the erganomics issue of the play & delete buttons is not that relevant. my original point was, the buttons are fine and not an ergonomic problem unless you are doing a massive amount of on the go editing / deleting using these buttons. Not something to get hung up on...:rolleyes:
It's accurate. I separated the statements into two paragraphs to represent a rough framework.

We don't have the statistics on how the layout is being utilized, but we know for dead sure that, generally, people like the existing DSLR layout of buttons in the back. For a precise example, the touch pad on R vs. the revised to joystick on R5.... Obviously, you touched on the different types work-flow, whether via in camera or in post will allow the different styles of workmanship.

We'll see what people will think of the R5, but it should have an overall positive outlook.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
You’ve tested it or is this from the rumored specs? This would be great news.

I just cannot see Canon having this fail again.
They checked all the boxes on this camera that they keep getting beat up over.
So this is critical as well.
1/2 stop off is no big deal except for the Sony fan boys but that is max.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I just cannot see Canon having this fail again.
They checked all the boxes on this camera that they keep getting beat up over.
So this is critical as well.
1/2 stop off is no big deal except for the Sony fan boys but that is max.
Half stop off of DR or ISO performance vs what camera? My dream would be something competitive against an a9 or a mini-1DX3, but I am doubtful this will be the case. I realize they are different markets and I am asking for a miracle.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So many things happening at the moment. Just to add & spice things up, it's interesting that Most retailers are offering at least 10% off RF lenses and then canon are offering a further reward up to £300 when a listed lens or camera is purchased within 90 days of each other. By my rough calculation, that 90 days would take us up to the middle of July, bang on when the R5 is supposed to ship? It's probably total coincidence as the retailer discounts end 21/04 and billed as an Easter offer...... Or, is it an incentive to buy existing cameras as a build up to the R5 being launched????

The RF 70-200MM F2.8L is on many sites as reduced from £2699 down to £2249, thats got to be a decent buy.
Yep... I bought the RF70-200mm 15% off on special 3 months in advance of the R5 purchase (assuming June/July). The exchange rate has been volatile but still a drop against the USD and JPY so a prudent decision. Canon have 5 year warranty now so no great loss to keeping it on the shelf. I will be using my other EF lenses except for the RF100-500mm. The other big investment will be a new Ikelite housing for it.

What kits will Canon release? R5 + RF 24-105mm could be worthwhile for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Yep... I bought the RF70-200mm 15% off on special 3 months in advance of the R5 purchase (assuming June/July). The exchange rate has been volatile but still a drop against the USD and JPY so a prudent decision. Canon have 5 year warranty now so no great loss to keeping it on the shelf. I will be using my other EF lenses except for the RF100-500mm. The other big investment will be a new Ikelite housing for it.

What kits will Canon release? R5 + RF 24-105mm could be worthwhile for me.
Nice move!
I'm waiting until Mondays announcement to order the RF 70-200MM As if the R5 is announced and due for delivery in July, that should fall within the Canon 90 day lens reward offer and trigger a further £255 refund if I purchase the R5 as well. Fortunately the RF 70-200 offer is valid until 21/04/20 so even if the R5 isn't released I'll be buying with a hefty discount. Win win.
I have the RF 24-105MM F4L and its a great all-round everyday lens but the 70-200 has that little bit more length and aperture.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Nice move!
I'm waiting until Mondays announcement to order the RF 70-200MM As if the R5 is announced and due for delivery in July, that should fall within the Canon 90 day lens reward offer and trigger a further £255 refund if I purchase the R5 as well. Fortunately the RF 70-200 offer is valid until 21/04/20 so even if the R5 isn't released I'll be buying with a hefty discount. Win win.
I have the RF 24-105MM F4L and its a great all-round everyday lens but the 70-200 has that little bit more length and aperture.
Lets hope the R5 is announced tomorrow and scheduled for delivery before 20/07/20, otherwise we will both miss out on the canon Lens reward lol.

Upvote 0
Well, I have had my invite to the Canon Virtual Press conference tomorrow 20th. I don't know If I should be excited for the possibility of the R5 being announced or resigned that it will just be cinema products??:cautious:
Wait... is there or is there not going to be a livestream? I assumed there was and am looking forward to it actually.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Wait... is there or is there not going to be a livestream? I assumed there was and am looking forward to it actually.
There is and its at 6pm in the UK. I'm registered with the Canon website and they sent me an invite and a link. The invite doesn't say what's being announced, just that it is new products.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
If the R5 were being announced tomorrow, I'm pretty sure Craig would have posted something by now. Canon is pretty good at keeping things under wraps, but usually by the day before, he has had some reliable leaks.
I'm 50/50 as to what they will announce. The optimist in me thinks the R5 but the pessimist thinks it will just be cinema products. Hey ho, well find out in a little over 24 hours.

Upvote 0
There is and its at 6pm in the UK. I'm registered with the Canon website and they sent me an invite and a link. The invite doesn't say what's being announced, just that it is new products.:)
I don’t understand though, at usa.canon.com there’s a countdown which ends 1 pm Amsterdam time, which would be 12 pm London time. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0