The Canon EOS R6 is still scheduled to be announced in May [CR2]

As an anecdotal consumer possibly considering buying into a full-frame mirrorless system in the next few years: There is absolutely no way I'd consider a 20 MP camera at a 2000 USD price point. This isn't 2012 anymore.

From how similar the camera seems to the Canon RP I'm guessing it's a more or less direct replacement, maybe bumping the price from 1000 USD to 1200 USD, with the two cameras co-existing as RP stock is sold off, perhaps at a very slightly lowered price point.

Upvote 0
As someone planning to upgrade into fullframe and mirrorless (from T6i), I have a hard time figuring out whether EOS R or EOS R6 is the better option for me.

I don't care about video at all, so it's mostly about picture quality, ergonomics and price.

R5 is probably going to be way out of my budget, so what's the next-best option? Is this correctly understood:

R5 > R > R6 > RP

R:
  • Has higher MP count
  • Has top-screen
  • Has touch bar
  • Might have better/bigger build quality than R6?

R6:
  • Has IBIS
  • Has dual card slots
  • Faster fps

I'm a bit new into Canon cameras, so which one do you think is the more "pro" version? And what about pricing? Are they even in the same category?

For me, a good EVF and ergonomics are important. If the R6 has a similar joystick as the R5 (instead of R's touch bar), that would be quite nice. But if the rumored 20MP are correct, it will feel quite strange for me to go from 24MP with my T6i and to 20MP. I know that R6's picture quality is way better, but still, I like to be able to crop in from time to time. The R's 30MP count seems better suited for this.

May can't come soon enough :D

If you don't need the second card slot, look for a good deal on an 'R' would be my suggestion.
The second card slot is not a big deal unless you shoot professionally (and then it is a big deal).

We really should wait untill the R5 and R6 to be fully announced before judging them, but if you need that second card slot, then the R and RP are out. The R5 looks good, but I am worried that the video features will cause a price hike. The R6 is difficult to see exactly how it will fit into the range - It seems to be a mis-mash of entry level and pro features, but it only makes sense right now as (another) video centric body.
Who knows, *I'm only guessing here*, but its possible that after 2 years and 4 RF bodies, best FF options may still be the 5D4 and 5Ds...

20MP is certainly *enouph* to make great prints. However more MP can be an advantage, and the trade offs for more MP are very small until you start going silly with the numbers. Will this new 20MP sensor manage better IQ than the 30MP of the R & 5D4?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Look, it's not my business that some other users might speak for others, but that's not the case this time at least :) In terms of our studio, there is multiple ppl, hence "WE".

As for the argument itself, I might have it well funded. The single fact, that multiple users are confused about the R6, speaks for itself. If R6 is supposed to be a 6DII successor in a mirrorless form, 20mpx is a wrong message to those wishing to upgrade from 6DII or those wishing for a 5DIV counterpart in a mirrorless form.

And if Canon is trying to create a completly new category, e.g. some video/low-light stills hybrid camera, then the R6 name is wrong too, as it will interfere with a 6D mindset of an entry level FF camera, which it is not going to be, most probably due to guessed price so far.
noooo... you still not getting it. R6 is not for those with Canon FF cameras already in their hands. never mind. step up from 6 is 5 :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
As an anecdotal consumer possibly considering buying into a full-frame mirrorless system in the next few years: There is absolutely no way I'd consider a 20 MP camera at a 2000 USD price point. This isn't 2012 anymore.

From how similar the camera seems to the Canon RP I'm guessing it's a more or less direct replacement, maybe bumping the price from 1000 USD to 1200 USD, with the two cameras co-existing as RP stock is sold off, perhaps at a very slightly lowered price point.
how about $1450 in 5-6 months from launch?

Upvote 0

You wouldn't buy a Canon 1DXII/1DXIII for $2k? You wouldn't buy a Nikon D5/D6 for $2k? Both of these pro lines are 20MP sensors, and I've never heard the pros who use them to pay their rent complain about MPs. 90% of display mediums these days probably wouldn't show much difference between a 12MP and 40MP sensor. Plenty of great photography being done on iPhones, after all, and while low light is a problem, hardly anyone complains they're not enough MP.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I’m sure I am not the only “stills only” photographer who was disappointed with the “press conference” on Monday where the emphasis was the R5’s video capabilities.
I'm not sure why you'd be disappointed when it was a press conference because NAB was canceled and was called a livestream press conference for professional video and broadcast.

It would have been VERY weird for Canon to talk about it's stills performance during that press conference.

Upvote 0
Completely frustrating! Announce the R5 and R6 at the same time. Quit stalling, we've been waiting for a camera like the R5 for a long time, imo you should've announced it on Monday. I'm not asking for a release, I realize the pandemic is going to cause delays. You wonder why Sony is catching up in sales. People don't want to wait seventeen years for an announcement and another six years for a release.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The EOS R6 in my opinion will use the same sensor as 1dx mark III. I think the target group for this camera is mainly photographers who need a fast camera and small file sizes in r&g situations such as photoreportage, sports, events, concerts etc. It will be a 1st baby 1dx with rf mount. This will provide Canon feedback to move to their R1 flagship camera on the near future.

Upvote 0
It's interesting that no one has yet considered this may be a mirrorless replacement for both the 6D AND 7D lines. That would account for the dual card slots and lower MP in exchange for higher fps. Those sports/nature 7DII shooters are at the very tail end of their body lifecycle. Yes, the birders always could use more MPs to crop, but they did just fine with the 7D, although the crop gave more reach. If they can get decent enough build quality, the R6 could hit all these market segments - semi-pro FF under $2k, sports/nature, YouTuber/light video creatives.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The EOS R6 in my opinion will use the same sensor as 1dx mark III. I think the target group for this camera is mainly photographers who need a fast camera and small file sizes in r&g situations such as photoreportage, sports, events, concerts etc. It will be a 1st baby 1dx with rf mount. This will provide Canon feedback to move to their R1 flagship camera on the near future.
Six series being a baby 1 series? All at around two grand a pop. Okaaay.
I am sorry to ask: Do you even understand how fast the viewfinder needs to be In order to keep up with a fast action shooting? Low latency is the key word. Now read again what is the rumoured specs around R6 viewfinder.... not even close.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What I find concerning from the original post, it states "Build Quality not as good as R5" - Question is, how "poor" is the build quality? why would canon put out a "sub-standard" camera if they want to attract more customers?
Where do you read substandard? It is lower than 5 series. It is a 6series quality build. As in RP or 6D II. Yeah?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
It's interesting that no one has yet considered this may be a mirrorless replacement for both the 6D AND 7D lines. That would account for the dual card slots and lower MP in exchange for higher fps. Those sports/nature 7DII shooters are at the very tail end of their body lifecycle. Yes, the birders always could use more MPs to crop, but they did just fine with the 7D, although the crop gave more reach. If they can get decent enough build quality, the R6 could hit all these market segments - semi-pro FF under $2k, sports/nature, YouTuber/light video creatives.
yah it would be cool if it would focus on f16 then could put 2x converter to 100-500mm .would be lot like 7d with 100-400mm.
And then nice landscape camera like 6D with pixel shift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I’m sure I am not the only “stills only” photographer who was disappointed with the “press conference” on Monday where the emphasis was the R5’s video capabilities. This has got me thinking whether I should start considering the R6 instead of the expensive R5 (I reckon £4K). However, I am very disappointed if the 20MP rumours are true, that would be a big drop from my 5D IV. Even the 6D Mk II has 26.2 full frame. It seems like a backward step from Canon. Also want to know what AF capabilities will be adopted from the R5 i.e. eye tracking (human and animal), or will the camera be “dumbed” down even more for the target audience it is rumoured to be aimed at?

The event was aimed at video people, who don't care about stills.

Rest assured there's a lot of goodies here for stills people who don't care about video. When Canon talks to them, that's what they'll hear about.

(I'm mostly stills, but do take videos from time to time.)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, at least as far as the "7D replacement" goes. By the time you crop a 20mp FF image down to APS-C size, you're looking at 7.8 MP, and I doubt the birders would care for that, when they currently have 20.2. They'd have to get closer (or an even longer lens) to get back to where they are now with the 7D.

By buying this camera, they'd lose almost precisely the entire benefit of the crop.

• Love
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Relevant for noise performance ist the sensor area and not the individual pixel area. So if you measure the noise in a portion of the image corresponding to a 1 mm x 1 mm area on the sensor, the noise in same-generation sensors will be essentially the same no matter if there are 20000 or 40000 pixels covering that area. You'll always be able to get the same noise performance out of the sensor with higher pixel density by simply downsampling (a process that reduces the number of pixels while increasing the signal to noise ratio).

That's all good in theory except that large photosites DO have larger full well capacity, which means for the purpose of AF there's no penalty for increasing amplification and when you average out the noise over multiple pixels you'll have better AF sensitivity with shorter sampling (i.e. exposure) times.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I’m sure I am not the only “stills only” photographer who was disappointed with the “press conference” on Monday where the emphasis was the R5’s video capabilities. This has got me thinking whether I should start considering the R6 instead of the expensive R5 (I reckon £4K). However, I am very disappointed if the 20MP rumours are true, that would be a big drop from my 5D IV. Even the 6D Mk II has 26.2 full frame. It seems like a backward step from Canon. Also want to know what AF capabilities will be adopted from the R5 i.e. eye tracking (human and animal), or will the camera be “dumbed” down even more for the target audience it is rumoured to be aimed at?

Keep in mind that the press conference was originally planned to take place at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) trade show, so of course it's going to be video centric in terms of what they mention about the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Look, it's not my business that some other users might speak for others, but that's not the case this time at least :) In terms of our studio, there is multiple ppl, hence "WE".

As for the argument itself, I might have it well funded. The single fact, that multiple users are confused about the R6, speaks for itself. If R6 is supposed to be a 6DII successor in a mirrorless form, 20mpx is a wrong message to those wishing to upgrade from 6DII or those wishing for a 5DIV counterpart in a mirrorless form.

And if Canon is trying to create a completly new category, e.g. some video/low-light stills hybrid camera, then the R6 name is wrong too, as it will interfere with a 6D mindset of an entry level FF camera, which it is not going to be, most probably due to guessed price so far.

The difference in overall "sharpness" between the 1D X Mark II and 1D X Mark III with identical sensor resolutions is palpable when used with the highest quality lenses.

Canon claims the new low-pass filter on the 1D X Mark III gives it the same resolution ability in terms of lines per mm on a test chart as a 24 mp sensor using their older low-pass filter technology. So before you totally excoriate Canon for reducing the 26 MP sensor resolution of the 6D Mark II down to 20 MP for the R6, perhaps you should wait and actually look at some real world examples of the same scenes shot by both cameras with the same lenses? The results may surprise you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0