A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
7D level would be very nice. However, it will have the same problem, as 7D line: no native sealed lenses.
May be I'm somewhat obsessed but, after I had a failed lens due to humidity getting inside in the middle of travel, I avoid non-sealed equipment, where possible. I would consider EOS M line with EF-M lenses in addition to full-frame set, if they were sealed. That would be great for light travel.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This could be a wonderful travel camera. Better still if they could ditch the metal barrel restraint and make a few L lenses for it, compact and relatively fast. And while I'm making requests how about a range-finder style body with a pop-OUT EVF (as opposed to pop-UP).

Though honestly, I'm going to be committed to the RF mount. If I have two bodies, one's gotta be a back-up to the other.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Given Canon's apathy towards M mount, I would really like to see crop RF camera.

Stop projecting your apathy for the EF-M mount system on Canon.

It's one of the few bright spots that has been keeping them profitable as the low end DSLR market has eroded away. It's by far the best selling mirrorless camera system on the planet for the past several years.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It’s not a perfect camera, but my M50 is the one I grab whenever I leave the house these days; I usually have the 55-200 attached and a stack of close-up lenses handy. My 6D Mark II “Big Boy” camera gets dusted off whenever I’m on a photo mission, but the size and weight of the M camera makes it more attractive much of the time. I realize the M6 II has a few performance advantages, but that external finder makes no sense; it’s just another expensive add-on. Also, as a still photographer, I use Canon’s fully articulated screen a lot; the simpler M6 screen would do me no good. Make me a better M50 and I’ll be interested; make an RF-M adapter and I’d be really interested.

An RF → EF-M adapter is physically impossible due to the differences in throat diameter and the depth behind the flange of the lugs on the RF mount.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That looks like what Canon is doing.
Not too sure that is a good strategy if someone wants both FF and APSC they will need two lens systems.
Big mistake.

This is further evidence that we need to take Canon at their word that the EF lens system isn't going anywhere. A higher end M body makes sense only in a world where customers can buy EF lenses that will work on all Canon bodies.

Not as much as one might think. I regularly use both 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, and 7D Mark II bodies.

But I rarely use the same lenses on both cameras.

Pretty much the only lens that is ever on the 7D Mark II is the 70-200/2.8 unless I'm testing a 135/2 or 135/2 + 1.4 or some such thing for calibration as an emergency backup measure. All of my primes (24/35/50/85/135) and wide to normal zooms (17-40, 24-70, 24-105) get used on the 5D Mark IV or 5D Mark III (or even the old 5D Mark II). I used to occasionally use the 70-200/2.8 on a FF body, but lately I tend to use the 135/2 instead unless I absolutely have to have the zoom range out to 200 and am only using a single body.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
People on forums seem to forget that more DSLRs were sold last year than mirrorless. In Canon's case, my guess is that they still sell a LOT more DSLR cameras and lenses. So, I doubt that EF lenses will be going away any time soon. I am not convinced that Canon will sell more mirrorless than DSLRs in the next 3-5 years. When the 5D V is released it will be very interesting to see if they sell more 5D V's or R5's. My guess is that the 5D V will still sell more, but chances are we will never know those specific numbers.

My guess is that the R5 will sell more if it is released before there's even a credible hint from Canon that a 5D Mark V will ever even happen. A lot of folks who might choose a 5D Mark V over an R5 if they came out at the same time will have already bought an R5 by the time the 5D Mark V might be confirmed as a real thing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
For people wondering if this would be a 7D II replacement.....

Where are the native lenses that would support such a camera?

Yeah sure no argument adapted lenses just work. But as Canon well knows, 7D's sold a LOT of top end glass. And that's why it wont happen on the M-mount. If a real 7D III is coming it's RF.

I tend to see it the other way around. I think a LOT of 7D Mark IIs were sold to people who would have had top end glass (read: big white Super Telephoto lenses) anyway and wanted to see if the extra "reach" and higher frame rate were worth the smaller sensor than their full frame 5-Series cameras.

Having said that, I'm not convinced that a "high end M-series camera" necessarily means a 7D equivalent.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
For people wondering if this would be a 7D II replacement.....

Where are the native lenses that would support such a camera?

Yeah sure no argument adapted lenses just work. But as Canon well knows, 7D's sold a LOT of top end glass. And that's why it wont happen on the M-mount. If a real 7D III is coming it's RF.
Canon has been working on the glass too. And we’re finally seeing some third parties coming out with M lenses.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It’s not a perfect camera, but my M50 is the one I grab whenever I leave the house these days; I usually have the 55-200 attached and a stack of close-up lenses handy. My 6D Mark II “Big Boy” camera gets dusted off whenever I’m on a photo mission, but the size and weight of the M camera makes it more attractive much of the time. I realize the M6 II has a few performance advantages, but that external finder makes no sense; it’s just another expensive add-on. Also, as a still photographer, I use Canon’s fully articulated screen a lot; the simpler M6 screen would do me no good. Make me a better M50 and I’ll be interested; make an RF-M adapter and I’d be really interested.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
My guess is that the R5 will sell more if it is released before there's even a credible hint from Canon that a 5D Mark V will ever even happen. A lot of folks who might choose a 5D Mark V over an R5 if they came out at the same time will have already bought an R5 by the time the 5D Mark V might be confirmed as a real thing.
I have to echo your sentiments.

Upvote 0
ive been talking about this happening on my channel for a while now i really hope it happens hopefully the rf mount or at least add style body so built proof and some spec bumps would be great. def the ibis will be a he deal for it as its easily the most used blogging camera in the market that alone would see huge sales increases in the model. But they do need better glass sigma has helped them out by giving us those awesome prime lenses. September cant come soon enough for the announcement but probably xmas now due to virus issues.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
There's definitely a place for a higher end / better built EOS M camera. The M5 and M50 are great cameras incorporating their EVFs along with screen and flash capability.

I have owned several APS-C DSLRs and used FF DSLRs over the years too. The people who say/write that there is no or limited 'native' glass for APS-C do not seem to be aware of the selection of dedicated EF-S lenses (both Canon and third party lenses). The benefits in size and weight (particularly for ultra wide, wide and standard lenses) and reduction in cost are/were the main attractions for APS-C DSLRs. The APS-C mirrorless line obtain a more significant "reduction in size and weight" advantage

There is little use having lenses over 200/250mm in dedicated APS-C lenses though. So that's why the 7D and 7DmkII were used by many photographers with many long EF lenses including L and super-teles.

I love my M5 as a more portable solution, and would be interested in a "higher end M" upgrade. The M6mkII has indicated there is some great tech available for this line. And as I have said/written many times before, the EF-M lenses are great for what they do, the primes in particular.

Even though I plan to get a R5 and some RF glass, I expect to also maintain photography gear from the EOS M / EF-M range, for more portability.
Good times to be a photographer! Enjoy the light!

PJ

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
The M cameras seem too light / small for full-fledged flash units to me. Don't they appear top-heavy?

Had a 600EX-RT on the M6II the other day for a few quick shots. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Too lazy to pull out the 320EX from its case when the other was already out on the 1DXII. I’ve used 430EX/320EX/90EX flashes handheld on the M5 with no problems - easier with the built in EVF. Smaller is usually better, unless the I need the power. But usually I’m mounting the ST-E3-RT on the M’s for off camera flash with 430/600 if I need more than the 90 or 320 so it doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Having owned both EF FF and M cameras, I never once wanted to use a large EF lens on my M camera. M is meant for those looking for small and light. It might be a mistake, but I think not. If you want two very different sized systems, you will gladly get the right lenses for each system, in my opinion.
Well you missed out on some great IQ and some great ergonomics. I had awesome success on the M5 with the 40, the 135 and the 200 2.8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0