Canon Software Solution Allows Select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras to Function as High-Quality USB Webcam

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, April 28, 2020 – As virtual meetings and gatherings become the new norm, you don’t want to be caught in the dark with a low-quality webcam. Fortunately, a new solution – EOS Webcam Utility Beta software** — was unveiled today by Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, for select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras (ILC) and PowerShot cameras. To help bring you into the light, this beta version solution converts your compatible EOS ILC and PowerShot camera through a simple USB connection into a webcam. Built by Canon software developers, this beta version software helps consumers to improve their video appearance while using popular video conferencing applications in the market, delivering clarity and high-image quality.

EOS DSLR Cameras...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I've already installed it...and it works. Bare-bones replacement for Sparkocam...which is a much more powerful program.

I have yet to purchase Sparkocam...and I still may do so...but Canon's alternative may be what I need to help my wife put her yoga classes on Zoom from our home (the EF-M 11-22mm lens mated to the M6 Mark II looks to be ideal).

It's been a learning experience so far...with lots of hiccups.

Upvote 0
It's a bit shocking it took this long to unveil such an obvious feature. Cameras have been able to do tethered live view for years.
I do not see any brand officially making their camera to be like a proper webcam (not 'tethered') . 3rd party applications does it, with some hiccups here and there.

Upvote 0
I just tried it with my 5DII and 5DIII in the hope that it might work as well. Unfortunately not. I really hope they make more cameras compatible. I wouldn't mind using an older body as a webcam.
Tethering recognizes camera as storage and is a bit different. Connecting camera to a PC via HDMI-USB needs a conversion device. Connecting an EOS camera to a PC to be recognized as Webcam via USB-USB using this utility is interesting.
There is a freeware software called DigiCam Control (http://digicamcontrol.com) on SourceForge with quite similar functionality. It works with more cameras such as EOS M, M5 and 5D Mark III (no 5DII, unfortunately). Look into the Cameras menu on the page to see if your camera is supported.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I just tried it with my 5DII and 5DIII in the hope that it might work as well. Unfortunately not. I really hope they make more cameras compatible. I wouldn't mind using an older body as a webcam.

I doubt they'll support 5D Mark II or Mark III because I think they're only supporting cameras with continuous video autofocus like DPAF. Then again, the 70D has DPAF but it's not listed.

Upvote 0
I doubt they'll support 5D Mark II or Mark III because I think they're only supporting cameras with continuous video autofocus like DPAF. Then again, the 70D has DPAF but it's not listed.

Actually both Cameras work. See my update above.
I don't mind not having AF for a Webcam, I am happy to just ballpark the focus distance as I don't move around a lot in my chair.

Upvote 0