Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I thought we already knew that the R6 would have a 20mp sensor. If so, how could it replace the R with a 30mp sensor. Where does this 36mp sensor for the R6 come from, other than your desire for it?

The general consensus is that the R's sensor was heavily derived from the 5D4's, as opposed to any master plan about what MP is "right" for that segment. It could simply be that the R nameplate will be "retired" and not "replaced". I do think that the R6's sensor at 20mp seems low, but the reality is canon can't create a sensor for every camera, and 20-26mp is becoming a pretty standard resolution across a lot of prosumer and above bodies (Fuji XT, A7II/II, Z6, even Leica) so as long as the R6 has additional features to make up for being at the low end of the MP heap it should be fine. 12/20 shooting, class leading AF, lots of 4K modes would certainly do the trick.

It would also more clearly differentiate the R5's sensor. The 5D4's bump was nice, but 30 was a sort of weird resolution at the time. Not low enough to give the camera serious speed vs competitors, not high enough to differentiate from a raft of 24mp sensors. Remember that unlike previous canon models, the R5 and R6 are rumored to have equivalent shooting speeds, so differentiation on MP is more important than in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Sony can’t abandon the market because they effectively have nothing else.
Technically Sony could....they have everything else from TVs to Playstations. Even if they never make another camera they will still make money off of the sensors that they sell to camera makers. If this camera venture starts becoming unprofitable I can definitely see them moving on. I don't think it will happen anytime soon but I definitely think cameras are a very small part of their total revenue.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
But Sony won't stand still, they are unlikely to abandon the market so will be also releasing a R5 competitor soon.
Except it will be too small in the hands, have poor ergonomics, lousy menu system, and smaller lens mount so harder to design quality glass. If Canon can close the small DR gap then Sony has no advantage really. The eye focus which is now universal with the top 3 brands and a slight bump in DR were the only advantage they had. I’ll stick with Canon.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Except it will be too small in the hands, have poor ergonomics, lousy menu system, and smaller lens mount so harder to design quality glass. If Canon can close the small DR gap then Sony has no advantage really. The eye focus which is now universal with the top 3 brands and a slight bump in DR were the only advantage they had. I’ll stick with Canon.

And honestly, Canon closed the DR gap sufficiently with the 5D4 sensor. I will always take more DR (please!) but at this point the ~half stop advantage at base ISOs is going to be less important than the rest of the camera's features. This whole "canon DR sucks" thing is a hold over from the 5D3 (and, lol, my 60D which was banding city even at a 2 stop push).

Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
in just another year or so we will see folks adapt to the smaller bodies as well. the R5 is a break from the bulky slr bodies that folks swear is the only way forward
Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, the last checked my hands were the same size as they were when I bought my 7D which I find extremely comfortable to hold for long periods of time. The ergonomics of a camera, is for me, the most important aspect of a camera. It’s the reason I will never buy a Sony body until they create a camera that doesn’t have the ergonomics of a brick.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Ok, I must have missed something.

Is there a "R3" that has been announced? IF so can someone point me to the links so I can read up on what the specs on THAT are going to be?

Is this supposed to be something above the R5?

C

I owned the legend that was the EOS 3, have been waiting for digital version ever since!

Upvote 0
For years this forum made fun of ibis and mirrorless
It’s fun to see how the forum users now see a benefit to ibis and can finally see that mirrorless is the future

in just another year or so we will see folks adapt to the smaller bodies as well. the R5 is a break from the bulky slr bodies that folks swear is the only way forward

This is a rather biased account of what has been said on the forum for the past few years. Nobody made fun of IBIS, and most people accepted the tenet 'mirrorless is the future'. Some people questioned if IBIS was necessary given Canon's excellent in-lens IS, and especially reacted negatively to people coming here and saying if Canon did not add IBIS (and other features competing brands had) then they were doomed etc. As for the future being mirrorless, it was declared imminent at least ten years ago, but still hasn't come to pass. Most people were not saying never, but when? Certainly not until now, and probably not for a little while yet.

As for size, there are good reasons to favour bigger bodies. If you think 'mirrorless = small' and 'small = better' then you've neither considered the fundamentals of mirrorless much, nor do you do more than a subset of types of photography. Hint: big lenses don't balance well on tiny bodies (heat dissipation and battery size are other factors, though less so as time goes on).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
This is great news.
An R6 with 36 MP sensor range would be perfect.
Does not need the hyper speed or 8K but all the AF features included (In fact every R should have that as standard).
Cost: $1,400.00
Just a good solid performer. like the FTb was.
Then a very inexpensive R in the $800.00 range with the AF features and 4K but again all the extra bells and whistles removed.
All MUST have full wireless connectivity though as Canon just showed.

The R6 is reported to be 24MP, plastic body, 12/20fps, not as high MP as you mention.

Upvote 0
After all is said and done, the original R is going to be a very affordable, mid-range do it all workhorse for years to come. All these new bodies coming along are going to be great, but pricey. Only thing really missing from the R is a joystick and IBIS, but lens+electronic stabilization will be good enough for most scenarios. I'll be happy to pick up a refurb for $1k-1200 once all you deep-pocket hotshots upgrade to the R5/R6/R1 ;)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The R6 is reported to be 24MP, plastic body, 12/20fps, not as high MP as you mention.

No, it's reported as 20MP.

He's expressing a wish they'd bump the sensor size. I wish they would, too. As it is right now, given the choice between an R6 with that sensor and an RP, I'll take the RP.

Hopefully the R5 is priced such that, that won't be an issue.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I really think Canon has the right idea with the R5. I was never a mirrorless fan, tried the A9 when it got released and did not enjoy that experience at all, but last June my workplace picked up an EOS R and I've used it on almost all of my slower-paced assignments. In difficult lighting situations absolutely nothing compares to the EVF, which have gotten really good at this point and I'm excited to see the R5 viewfinder. The EOS R's crippling flaw to me as to why I never got one was always the ergonomics(touchbar/D-pad), single SD card slot, and the viewfinder delay after shooting.

Realizing that even 8K raw on the R5 has DPAF, I'm entirely sure at this point that this camera will be capable of doing no-delay full DPAF during 20 FPS silent shooting. It makes perfect sense, 30 FPS with AF in 8k vs 20 FPS with AF at 45mp would be a pretty even tradeoff, 10 FPS in exchange for the full resolution of the sensor. At the very least, I can't imagine 12 FPS will have a delay, and that by far already beats my 5D mark III.

One of the smart things with the R5 is that the 5D series is much more capable of being taken over by mirrorless than even the 1D right now. I've been considering a replacement for my 5D mark III for a long time, and had been starting to get tempted by the 5D mark IVs we use at work. Though I'm a diehard fan of my 1DX mark II, I would love a smaller body to always keep on me and for travel/family, and already the R with the 35mm f/1.8 is really not much bigger than the Fuji X100V, which is a camera I was considering picking up solely for those uses. The 5D mark III isn't very fun to shoot sports with anyway and is relegated to just being my wide angle camera on any fast action, so even if the EOS R5 can't keep up with my 1DX I'm sure it will totally blow the 5D mark III out of the water in those uses and be a great second body to the 1DX or primary body on vacation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Although I have owned M’s since they came out I am under no illusions about MILC or DSLR limitations and see myself owning both for the foreseeable future because each has strengths and weaknesses, I hate EVF lag and limited DR and the point at which EVF’s have the latency and DR our eyes do is outside my lifetime.

IBIS is just another feature, I’ve gotten along without it fine for the last 40+ years but when I get it I’ll happily use it, however it won‘t be the deciding factor on what model of camera I do get.

Exactly. And those that defended DSLRs in the past were reacting largely to asinine comments from some folk who's daddy/mommy must have had shares in some mirrorless company. By and large CR folk are just reasonable and not prone to jumping on/off bandwagons. Both formats have a place for now.

BTW older eyes don't tolerate as much as younger eyes and we have yet to see the effect of long term screen viewing on populations.

Jack

Upvote 0