Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

I am reading a lot about an assortment of various R and M series cameras supposedly coming out in 2020, but except for the R5 and possibly R6, I see little information or proposed release dates. The R6 is supposed to come out in May 2020, however I have not seen any images of this phantom model. I think that Canon should focus on what they can realistically offer the public in 2020 before they start talking about 2021. I realize that the world has changed in only a few months due to the virus. Maybe Canon and others should just shelve the idea of releasing cameras this year altogether. Its not like people really need these cameras and since travel has been curtailed, not a lot of travel photography will probably happen until 2021 anyway. Just my opinion.

weird. where is canon talking about 2021?

Upvote 0
No one mentioning a mirrorless version of the 7D. Why not? I've got to think there's a market for a very high frame rate mirrorless, even with a cropped sensor.

See R5 for high frame rate camera.
Or M6 Mark II
Or M7 or M5 Mark II or whatever it will be called.
or heck the 1DX Mark III I here does pretty good too.

Canon has high frame rate covered in spades.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So why not? I don't know, maybe cause Canon invests in a new camera system every 4 years to get a return? They will NOT release a new flagship and then cannibalize it. that is BAD business practice.

They aren't.

Some of their professional photographers will prefer the 1DX Mark III. Others will prefer the R1.
The users will choose, Canon will offer the choice.

See how that works?

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I am reading a lot about an assortment of various R and M series cameras supposedly coming out in 2020, but except for the R5 and possibly R6, I see little information or proposed release dates. The R6 is supposed to come out in May 2020, however I have not seen any images of this phantom model. I think that Canon should focus on what they can realistically offer the public in 2020 before they start talking about 2021. I realize that the world has changed in only a few months due to the virus. Maybe Canon and others should just shelve the idea of releasing cameras this year altogether. Its not like people really need these cameras and since travel has been curtailed, not a lot of travel photography will probably happen until 2021 anyway. Just my opinion.
That's crazy talk, I've been waiting 4yrs for Canon to get their mirrorless video act together, now I'm really glad that a GH6 did not get released and that the S1H uses an L mount or I would have already further committed to the Panasonic system.

There is no way Canon will wait another year to release these bodies nor should they; BTW Canon has not officially announced anything for 2021 the only place you will find any mention of 2021 is on rumors sites. Pandemic or not, unless there is some major limitation in the R6 I'm buying one as soon as it is available and will use whatever is left of this pandemic lockdown to learn the camera inside and out, get accessories for it, and prepare my video workflow around it.

Upvote 0
I'm sticking to my original predictions list and adding dates and prices

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement (2023+)
R5 - 5D Replacement (2020) ($4999)
R5S - 5DS Replacement (2021) ($5200)
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5 (2020) ($2499)
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II) (2021) ($1499)

See, this is what is worrying me - I am worried you might be right!
Those prices are CRAZY.
If you are a pro stills shooter, the price of entry into the R system is going to be £5k???

Sorry, Canon - that would be a big no for me. I don't want a Sony, but Sony can sell similarly specified cameras under £3k. That is the market Canon needs to hit (AKA traditional 5D market)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So why not? I don't know, maybe cause Canon invests in a new camera system every 4 years to get a return? They will NOT release a new flagship and then cannibalize it. that is BAD business practice.
If that doesn't make sense to you I don't know what does. Please give me an example when Canon has released a new camera and then less then a year later out did it. We are seeing the 5D equivalent for the mirrorless line because the 5D is due for refresh, so is the 6D, the refresh is happening in mirrorless mount. The 1D line just got a refresh, wont happen my friend.
There is a commercial wisdom that it is better to have your own product impending on the existing product line rather than some other company cannibalising your products market share.
can I ask you a simple but rethorical question :
Do you think that Canon RF glass cannibalising on Canon EF line of products.
think of R1 as an extra level above 1D.
it will be well differentiated by AF capabilities, video capabilities, sensor resolution and certainly price.
I can commercially proof that R1sales would no longer affect adoption rate of 1D camera provided the above differentiation was maintained.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
See, this is what is worrying me - I am worried you might be right!
Those prices are CRAZY.
If you are a pro stills shooter, the price of entry into the R system is going to be £5k???

Sorry, Canon - that would be a big no for me. I don't want a Sony, but Sony can sell similarly specified cameras under £3k. That is the market Canon needs to hit (AKA traditional 5D market)
I hope I'm wrong, but with those specs it makes sense. Also, I don't think those prices will last long, they will be the early adopter fee; but for all others you'd have to be willing to wait at least 6 months to benefit from a price drop. And actually, the price for entry will be far higher if you want to go with native R mount lenses. Otherwise you are stuck with EF lenses and the adapter.

Another pricing clue, although I'm not sure how accurate it is; I've seen the lensrentals rental price compared to the 1DXIII's rental price several times now, below is a quote from fstoppers:

Pricing remains a mystery. Major retailers say “Coming Soon.” Interestingly, however, Lens Rentals has it listed at $271 per week (hat tip to docsmith). Given that the 1D X Mark III is $347 per week, a little bit of math puts the R5’s retail price a shade over $5,000. So, $4,999?

I do not think the Sony comparison however is entirely fair, I've picked up a couple of Sony's in the retail stores just to hold them and to try to see what all the fuss is about....the build quality, ergonomics, menu system, color science, etc. etc. is night and day vs. a Canon. So yes..Ford makes tons of cars that go from point a to point b, but that does not mean that BMW needs to compete with them on price.

Upvote 0
R3/R5s is what I would like to see. R5 is awesome, no question, but as a still photographer, I just don't need all that 8K video functions, and you bet the R5 will price that in. So instead of paying for something I don't need, I'd much rather throw my money towards a high pixel count, because that's a function that I'd actually use.
As a broadcast videographer I agree. I need a stills camera not another video camera.

Upvote 0
Pricing remains a mystery. Major retailers say “Coming Soon.” Interestingly, however, Lens Rentals has it listed at $271 per week (hat tip to docsmith). Given that the 1D X Mark III is $347 per week, a little bit of math puts the R5’s retail price a shade over $5,000. So, $4,999?

Roger responded to this in a dpreview thread, he stated it was essentially a placeholder.

Upvote 0
I’ve always been curious to know if Canon has a break down of the cost of the engineering manpower hours and technical design and hardware development for the video component in a still camera.
there's little hardware in the R5 that is solely dedicated to stills. as we took great pains to break down in our article about it.

Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
I often read rumors about future EOS R bodies. Does anyone have any rumors about an upcoming EOS 5D Mark V body?
While Canon has said (though some time ago) that there would be a successor to the 5DIV. If the R5 sells successfully in large numbers I would believe that would make a 5DV even less likely to appear. If people move to mirrorless in large numbers it's less incentive for DSLR's to continue to be made. I'm not a fortune teller though. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Lets see how much that R5 costs shall we?

Utterly illogical.

Whatever the price turns out to be, you can't use the number as proof that it's due to a bunch of video features you don't want. Because in many cases the video feature uses physical capabilities that are also used by the stills capabilities you want. Removing the video capability would entail removing part of the stills capability. The video is riding piggyback.

Or maybe it's the stills capability that is riding piggyback on the video capability.

Either way, imagining the camera would be significantly cheaper by separating them out is sheer fantasy.

Yeah, so to get the stills stuff you want you will HAVE to put up with those video capabilities. Not because Canon is a bunch of meanies, but because those stills features are interdependent with the video ones.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0