Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Regarding the comments concerning a sports-oriented mirrorless body for the Olympics rescheduled to 2021, it has to be borne in mind that there's still an element of doubt about whether these games will take place at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...reliant-on-covid-19-vaccine-senior-ioc-member
And, even more pessimistic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...unlikely-to-happen-in-2021-virus-experts-warn

As a Japanese company, Canon will be very aware of this situation and of the fact that the Japanese had originally wanted to carry on regardless in 2020, then had to postpone, and that, more recently, having thought they'd got the virus under control, Japan has suffered something of a second wave.

If the sports-oriented body is already in development and planned for 2021 release, then the possibility of an Olympics in 2021 is well and good. If, however, the sports-oriented body is no more than an idea, I can't see that Canon would want to do a rushed job to produce a camera for an Olympics which might not happen.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There's a LOT of companies across many industries that have "halo" products....the ultra high end stuff, that most people can't afford, BUT...they are there to draw attention to the company's other products and it does help sell stuff.

Ford has had the GT40...and I think they're about to come out with it again.
Heck, Chevy has the Corvette ZR1
Dodge used to have the Viper....

Those are car examples (hey, who doesn't like a good car example?)......but you see the same thing in many other company's products.

YES, there are some people that buy them....some can afford as that what is a fortune to some, is pocket change to others.
Some save and save and get their dream item...
Others just *drool*.....or some just aren't interested in that stuff.

But call it bragging rights, or call it a halo products....most all company's have a top of the line "something"....and it helps the prestige of their whole line.

C
I agree. I just don't call it bragging by a company.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Regarding the comments concerning a sports-oriented mirrorless body for the Olympics rescheduled to 2021, it has to be borne in mind that there's still an element of doubt about whether these games will take place at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...reliant-on-covid-19-vaccine-senior-ioc-member
And, even more pessimistic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...unlikely-to-happen-in-2021-virus-experts-warn

As a Japanese company, Canon will be very aware of this situation and of the fact that the Japanese had originally wanted to carry on regardless in 2020, then had to postpone, and that, more recently, having thought they'd got the virus under control, Japan has suffered something of a second wave.

If the sports-oriented body is already in development and planned for 2021 release, then the possibility of an Olympics in 2021 is well and good. If, however, the sports-oriented body is no more than an idea, I can't see that Canon would want to do a rushed job to produce a camera for an Olympics which might not happen.
Good points.

I really don't think people who talk about an R1 for the Olympics in 2021 or whenever really have a clue what they are saying. With a 1Dx or similar body, you can hand it to photographers a few weeks or months before the Olympics and professional sports photographers will be able to use it without many concerns. That's because the basics don't change that much and they can pick it up without having to spend a lot of time fiddling with it. Not true of a mirrorless body, which will be significantly different than a DLSR.

I can't imagine many professionals using a new R style body at an event like the Olympics. It's just too much of a risk. Let's say the Olympics do take place in the summer of 2021. To give photographers a level of comfort they need to shoot the Olympics, the body would have to be available six months to a year out. Sure, Canon could release something around the time of the Olympics and hand out a bunch of them for photographers to try out, but I suspect that only those who are sponsored by Canon would actually use it and then only as a backup or second camera.

Makes more sense for Canon to release the R1 body during a regular sports season, so photographers can try it out over the course of a season, rather than rolling the dice on a once every four/five years event.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
We really
Makes more sense for Canon to release the R1 body during a regular sports season, so photographers can try it out over the course of a season, rather than rolling the dice on a once every four/five years event.
At this point, we don‘t know much about the AF and EVF of the R5, and we don’t know how close Canon is to having the AF and EVF ready for the F1. So technical Issues may be a factor in the timing of the R1.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Nikon Z6 24mp
Nikon Z7 45mp

Sony A7 III 24mp
Sony A7R IV 61mp

What competition are you looking at where it doesn't make sense?

This exactly. A 30 mp sensor wouldn't be a meaningful enough differentiation between cheaper or more expensive offerings, especially when the R6 is rumored to have 12/20 shooting and pretty solid video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Good points.

I really don't think people who talk about an R1 for the Olympics in 2021 or whenever really have a clue what they are saying. With a 1Dx or similar body, you can hand it to photographers a few weeks or months before the Olympics and professional sports photographers will be able to use it without many concerns. That's because the basics don't change that much and they can pick it up without having to spend a lot of time fiddling with it. Not true of a mirrorless body, which will be significantly different than a DLSR.

I can't imagine many professionals using a new R style body at an event like the Olympics. It's just too much of a risk. Let's say the Olympics do take place in the summer of 2021. To give photographers a level of comfort they need to shoot the Olympics, the body would have to be available six months to a year out. Sure, Canon could release something around the time of the Olympics and hand out a bunch of them for photographers to try out, but I suspect that only those who are sponsored by Canon would actually use it and then only as a backup or second camera.

I agree with your logic for the bulk of the photos/photographers, but Canon has used its sponsored photographers to carry new gear on a second body at events like the super bowl etc. just so they can talk about it. I agree you won't see a majority in the photo pit, but it does provide a good chance to show it can do the job if you give it as a second to your explorers of light.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Companies do not release products just for "bragging rights". There are a long list of reasons why it would not make sense the main ones being there are no long R mount lenses, EVF lag, just released the 1DX III, there is no real competitor to the 1DX at the Olympics anyway, a 1 year delay is nowhere near enough time to bring a new camera of that caliber to market, and the list goes on.

hah. when it comes to the Olympics they sure do.

And Canon was rumored to be already bringing the R1 out in 2021 so how is that "nowhere near enough time"?

• Love
Upvote 0
Good points.

I can't imagine many professionals using a new R style body at an event like the Olympics.

The people that were talking about an R1 in 2021 was I think the Nikkan had the article last September. So this isn't a "new idea".

The article states that prototypes were already tested .. and this is in September of 2019.

while the AF may be different - I would imagine that an R1 would have the same ergonomics as the 1DX Mark III - it would insanity to have otherwise. Canon has had the same 1 series ergonomics for basically all of 20+ years now. They aren't going to change from that because it's mirrorless.

and just to make mention - Canon was expecting to let loose with a TON of R5's during the games to professionals, so obviously they felt that even with the dramatic change in ergonomics from the 1 series and 5 series that they'd still have a lot of people using the cameras.

Also in the 1DX Mark III - AF cases, and AF operation for mirrorless is nearly the same as through the phase detect AF. So canon is already working on making a seamless professional transition to mirrorless with the 1DX Mark III.

and this is important. People that are used of the 1DX Mark III would most likely find the transition to an R1 to be pretty seamless because I would imagine the case situated AF that already exists in the 1dX Mark III would simply be there on the R1 with improvements for performance, accuracy,etc.

• Love
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Good points.

Not really. I can (and am sure many others can) pick up any Canon camera (if they have learned 1dx2 or 3 very well) and figure any other camera within a few hours.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The people that were talking about an R1 in 2021 was I think the Nikkan had the article last September. So this isn't a "new idea".

The article states that prototypes were already tested .. and this is in September of 2019.

while the AF may be different - I would imagine that an R1 would have the same ergonomics as the 1DX Mark III - it would insanity to have otherwise. Canon has had the same 1 series ergonomics for basically all of 20+ years now. They aren't going to change from that because it's mirrorless.

and just to make mention - Canon was expecting to let loose with a TON of R5's during the games to professionals, so obviously they felt that even with the dramatic change in ergonomics from the 1 series and 5 series that they'd still have a lot of people using the cameras.

Also in the 1DX Mark III - AF cases, and AF operation for mirrorless is nearly the same as through the phase detect AF. So canon is already working on making a seamless professional transition to mirrorless with the 1DX Mark III.

and this is important. People that are used of the 1DX Mark III would most likely find the transition to an R1 to be pretty seamless because I would imagine the case situated AF that already exists in the 1dX Mark III would simply be there on the R1 with improvements for performance, accuracy,etc.
I don't think so. We will both know one day!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon made their decision the moment R5 / R6 naming conversion was announced.
5s / 5sR branding is a well recognised name. Why would Canon drop what works and invest in a new R3 convention?
There is no point..
They did a bang up job with the EOS 3. It fit well in the naming convention back then. Sliding one in now is still a better nomenclature move than all the crazy they did with the M line.

Upvote 0
What is this 'interesting' notion that software, software design and testing, new hardware compatibility with said software, paying the software engineers paychecks etc etc etc.... doesn't cost anything? I read the canonnews article and thought there are some holes here. I'm sure Canon bean counters would love it to be 'free'.
depends.
Do you live in a world where they start from scratch with every new camera for firmware? As I mentioned, having a photo only camera doesn't mean that canon doesn't sell any hybrid cameras.

Also we do mention firmware specific features but what firmware specific features are limited to recording of video only?

while there are more test points, most of the software is legacy - built upon existing software code. While there will be new stuff for the R5; h.265 and h.264 firmware to hardware testing would have been already done. any normal object-orientated programming, it should be very little to implement. for a photo only camera, wouldn't result in any real savings outside of test staff, and most of that was already done prior as most of those functions would have been black box tested.

also how many of those video features would have to test as "new firmware" versus how much new code for new AF routines, etc that require significant regression and environmental testing? how much are the specific limited amount of new video only features in relation to the testing and development of the entire camera?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I love the comments and discussions that result when Canon Rumours Guy Releases a new rumour. It's great to hear the different things members have experienced and quite often I learn something new. However........

I bet Canon Rumours Guy falls around laughing when he releases a rumour like this one and watches everyone go off on wild speculation, complaining that Canon are not listening and releasing the camera specs they want when they want it, analysing every element of the release, commenting, sometimes negatively about individuals comments etc.

Who cares what the next camera body will be called, I certainly dont as long as it does what I want it to. Yes it may have elements of specification I don't need but ultimately Video and stills use the same sensor, EVF and screen, so logically if like the R5 the sensor is able to deliver massive video specs, doesn't that mean it will be transferred to stills performance as well at a reasonable level?

If your waiting for the perfect spec, you will be waiting for a very long time as I bet there are very few people who find every element of a camera specs meet everything they want. There is always a compromise of some sort or another.

Anyhoo, rant over, carry on everyone and continue entertaining. Gotta Love it lol

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Nikon Z6 24mp
Nikon Z7 45mp

Sony A7 III 24mp
Sony A7R IV 61mp

What competition are you looking at where it doesn't make sense?

Those are competition. Both higher than 20 mp.
Also Note I said DOMINATE not match their lame offerings.
Matching is losing.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Those are competition. Both higher than 20 mp.
Also Note I said DOMINATE not match their lame offerings.
Matching is losing.
Sensor resolution is only one metric out of many others to consider. according to your logic, if R5 was released with 40MP sensor , less than 45MP competition has to offer, do you think it would be “losing it”?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
any normal object-orientated programming, it should be very little to implement.

Just as a side note, because I mostly agree with you otherwise.
First I doubt Canon uses OOP in their camera firmware. And even if they do, the code reusability has little to do with the paradigm. It's more about proper design and modularity.
In embedded software engineering there's usually many dependencies on h/w which makes it harder to make it abstract and reuse. Reusability comes from abstraction, and abstraction usually comes at a cost of performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0