Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
And your point?
It is very old as it was not any real upgrade from the I version.
1DX MIII goes 20 fps as well
NO latency in the viewfinder.
much better battery life
Far more rugged build
Infinitely more native lenses.
Did you forget what your original statement was?

+++ The 5 shoots action better than the a9

A.M.: how 1DxIII is a “5” Series camera?

+++ It is very old as it was not any real upgrade from the I version.
A.M.: what is? A9 is the original A9. It was released in 2017. Not an upgrade.

+++NO latency in the viewfinder

A.M.: are you taking 1DxIII? Why?
We are looking at Canon mirrorless 5 series vs A9.

+++much better battery life

A.M.: are you referring to 1DxIII again? Or to yet to be released R5?

+++++Infinitely more native lenses.

A.M.: are you saying that there more native (RF) glass available now than in Sony E mount?

I get your point: Canon system is better. Sure.
however, your idea that “ The 5 shoots action better than the a9” has nothing to do with reality I am living in. In my reality Canon 5 Series mirrorless cameras are yet to be released.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
It seemed like there were more canon trolls on the forum than anything. The canon enthusiasts I know were not defensive about canon at all. They were unhappy with products that were lacking innovation for years. It started slowly but the last 2 years they got really upset about this. They wanted canon to do better so that they could have but a better product. Most of them have several L lenses like me which creates a barrier to switching. I think canon knows that our lens investment creates a barrier to users switching. That can lead to less customer centric behavior because the competition has to be so much better to entice folks to switch platforms.

this forum just didn’t reflect the mood I sensed anywhere in the real world. My safari group was concerned that canon was falling behind. My scuba groups were already dismissive of canon and their segmentation strategy. I can go on. But on this forum their was this hostility to the fact that canon had a brewing problem. I mostly saw canon trolls who seemed to say that everything canon made was fantastic. The 6d mark 2 was a disappointment and the R on its release was a unpolished recycled part product. The canon trolls will just say it’s all terrific and folks rush out and buy these substandard products at ridiculous prices. Canon built an amazing reputation for innovation a decade ago and that reputation helps fuels sales. But 1-2 years ago was a real low point. I am happy that I didn’t switch as I see canons upcoming products. Their new products show that we’re paying attention to where the market is going. I suspect that they fell behind on some technology and used their amazing brand strength to mitigate defections while they worked on new products.

but this forum over the past 2 years just seemed defensive. Canon is number one and anything that canon doesn’t offer is just stupid or niche. That’s why they don’t offer it!
That was the canon troll attitude here

It seems like what you are saying is:
1) those that complained about Canon were being accurate and justified, and
2) those that were happy with Canon and thought their products were better than the competition were wrong and "trolls."

And you wonder why people responded to opinions such as this defensively and even with some anger?

You say, "The 6d mark 2 was a disappointment," as if this is a fact. In my opinion, based on comments on this and other forums, most 6D users are very happy with the camera and found that it performed better than they expected.

You say, "the R on its release was a unpolished recycled part product," Unpolished? What exactly does that mean, and whatever it does to you, it is just your opinion, not fact. You can say that they used the same sensor as the 5D IV, that is accurate, to call it recycled is not. You could also quite accurately state that many camera makers use the same sensor in different models or from one generation to the next. You could also say that Canon used their best sensor from the 5D IV in a camera that was considerably cheaper in the R.

You say, "The canon trolls will just say it’s all terrific and folks rush out and buy these substandard products at ridiculous prices." Again, you state that the products are substandard as if it is a fact. Kind of odd as many photographers would say that Canon color is the best. And that Canon ergonomics are the best or at least equal to Nikon. That Canon menus and ease of use is industry leading. Is having a fully articulated screen substandard? It's one of the reasons I bought the R. Is having a sensor dust screen substandard? Simple as this spec is, it is one of the main reasons I bought the R. Perhaps all the other brands that don't have this dust screen are substandard? So, apparently, the areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands over-rides areas that they do as well or better. Maybe, just maybe, some of those Canon trolls you mention are merely pointing out instances where the complainers are unable to articulate their thoughts in a realistic way - confusing fact with opinion. Or ignoring all aspects of a camera and just singling out the areas that they think should be improved.

Your use of the word "ridiculous" when it comes to price is once again just your opinion. If Canon's prices were actually ridiculous to most camera buyers, it seem unlikely that they would lead the world in sales year after year. Arguably, price is the biggest factor when people make purchases. The question isn't always, how is the price compared competitor's similar models. The question, for many is, is the product worth the price? Personally, having bought Canon and Sony FF cameras over the past 7 or 8 years, I am quite happy to pay a higher price for the Canon as I have found them to be superior products in terms of durability, dependability and the quality of various specs. (Sony for example, as has been well documented, has had sensor dust and over-heating issues). In my opinion, one reason Sony cameras are cheaper than the competition, is that they are made cheaper than other brands in many ways.

As an R owner, I compared the R with similar products from other brands. In my opinion, there were more plusses with the R that made me decide to buy it over less expensive Sony or Nikon cameras. Again, comments on forums indicate that most users finds the camera to be better than they thought it would be and are very satisfied. Apparently, this makes us trolls or Canon defenders because we don't agree with you.

It seems to me, that you are prone to the same lack of perspective that afflicts many forum users. "What I want must be what others want. What I think is most important others must think is most important."

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
The R5 will be a preorder for me. I already own the trinity. Hard to know what to make of a R1... my 1DXMK2 was magical... but due to its size and weight it only traveled on deliberate shoots. The size/weight is the EOS R means it goes along for the ride more frequently than the 1 series did.
I also find the weight of the EOS-1D X Mark II to be quite heavy. However, many of the RF "L" lenses seem to be heavy. if it were me, I would want proper balance between camera body and its RF "L" lenses. Thus, I would not want a camera body which is too lightweight. It will be interesting to read up on the EOS R5 camera body weight when the final specifications are published.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Did you forget what your original statement was?

+++ The 5 shoots action better than the a9

A.M.: how 1DxIII is a “5” Series camera?

+++ It is very old as it was not any real upgrade from the I version.
A.M.: what is? A9 is the original A9. It was released in 2017. Not an upgrade.

+++NO latency in the viewfinder

A.M.: are you taking 1DxIII? Why?
We are looking at Canon mirrorless 5 series vs A9.

+++much better battery life

A.M.: are you referring to 1DxIII again? Or to yet to be released R5?

+++++Infinitely more native lenses.

A.M.: are you saying that there more native (RF) glass available now than in Sony E mount?

I get your point: Canon system is better. Sure.
however, your idea that “ The 5 shoots action better than the a9” has nothing to do with reality I am living in. In my reality Canon 5 Series mirrorless cameras are yet to be released.

I doubt Canon themselves would be lying about the R5 performance.
Sony a9II 24mp, video 4K 30p, 20 FPS electronic, 10 FPS mechanical, eye AF, Primitive contrast AF, 2 slow SDXC.
Canon R5 45mp +-, video 8K 30p, 4K 120p, 20 FPS electronic, 12 fps mechanical, Eye AF and animal body, head and eye AF, industry leading DPAF in ALL modes including 8K Dual cards including 1 CFExpress.

Sony's best pro is easily outclassed by Canon's advanced enthusiast mirrorless. Even the Canon 1DX MIII easily outclasses the a9II being a DSLR in most every aspect.
Finally Canon has far more lenses for every condition.
Canon does not need Native RF lenses to lead in that ALL EF and EFs are 100% compatible with the RF as if native. And the RF lenses are rapidly coming and are industry leading designs that Sony is incapable of making due to the minuscule lens mount. At least Nikon got that right.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I also find the weight of the EOS-1D X Mark II to be quite heavy. However, many of the RF "L" lenses seem to be heavy. if it were me, I would want proper balance between camera body and its RF "L" lenses. Thus, I would not want a camera body which is too lightweight. It will be interesting to read up on the EOS R5 camera body weight when the final specifications are published.

The lenses I have seem balanced enough on the R, so I’m not concerned with balance on the R5. In any case there will be a handgrip.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The lenses I have seem balanced enough on the R, so I’m not concerned with balance on the R5. In any case there will be a handgrip.
I simply keep my right hand on the body and my left under the lens. Balance isn't a problem. I did the very same thing when using a big lens (EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II) on my 5D Mark III. In my opinion, the "balance" argument people are making is way over blown. Attach any big lens to any camera body and the balance point is always going to be somewhere out on the lens and never at the mount. Just move the left hand to the balance point and all is good. Seems simple enough to me, but it sounds difficult for many. Throw on a 400mm - 800mm lens and the weight of the body really doesn't matter, in my opinion, when it comes to balance. If it ain't on a tripod, the left hand is supporting the lens anyway.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I’m really excited about the R5, but I only really shoot photos, so an R5s or something of that nature being on the roadmap would definitely make me stop and think about waiting for that to drop. But it would have to have competitive dynamic range, IBIS an equivalent autofocus system to what the R5 is promising for me to really buy in. Maybe I’m just getting lazy but I think AF is a major part of the mirrorless value proposition. Super high resolution is great, but if you don’t nail focus then it’s wasted. Fingers crossed that Canon has finally retired the cripple hammer.
Canon upgraded the AF for the 5DS/R (far better than the 5DIII) so more likely they will step AF up than down with the next high MPIX model.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
R6 - fast lower budget birders/sports
R5 - does it all
R5s - a studio and landscape dream (high MP, lower shutter speeds)
Just like the 5DS/R was as good or better than the 5DIII in all aspects except a litte less FPS a mirrorless 5RS will do everything the 5DIV does - and then some. It will be faster, have more FPS, have better AF etc. Like the 5DS/R it will therefore be a do-all camera for those who want the MPIX advantage it brings to stills, but probably with less video options than the 5R and maybe slightly less FPS.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just like the 5DS/R was as good or better than the 5DIII in all aspects except a litte less FPS a mirrorless 5RS will do everything the 5DIV does - and then some. It will be faster, have more FPS, have better AF etc. Like the 5DS/R it will therefore be a do-all camera for those who want the MPIX advantage it brings to stills, but probably with less video options than the 5R and maybe slightly less FPS.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I wish that the R5 is an sport/action camera but i doubt it is blackout free. Also the R9 has no rolling shutter wich is such a great future for wildlife (if i could shoot silent without rolling shutter this will be my main shutting mode)

I expect the R1 will have no-blackout shooting and limited rolling shutter.

Upvote 0
it’s honestly not me or what I want
The industry and real world folks that shoot with canon have all thought that canon was slipping or something the past few years. They’re all super happy that the upcoming products look great and innovative

But this forum just sometimes feels like a fanboy forum and not something more levelheaded. I am glad If you love everything canon has made and think it’s flawless. My take home point remains.

It seems like what you are saying is:
1) those that complained about Canon were being accurate and justified, and
2) those that were happy with Canon and thought their products were better than the competition were wrong and "trolls."

And you wonder why people responded to opinions such as this defensively and even with some anger?

You say, "The 6d mark 2 was a disappointment," as if this is a fact. In my opinion, based on comments on this and other forums, most 6D users are very happy with the camera and found that it performed better than they expected.

You say, "the R on its release was a unpolished recycled part product," Unpolished? What exactly does that mean, and whatever it does to you, it is just your opinion, not fact. You can say that they used the same sensor as the 5D IV, that is accurate, to call it recycled is not. You could also quite accurately state that many camera makers use the same sensor in different models or from one generation to the next. You could also say that Canon used their best sensor from the 5D IV in a camera that was considerably cheaper in the R.

You say, "The canon trolls will just say it’s all terrific and folks rush out and buy these substandard products at ridiculous prices." Again, you state that the products are substandard as if it is a fact. Kind of odd as many photographers would say that Canon color is the best. And that Canon ergonomics are the best or at least equal to Nikon. That Canon menus and ease of use is industry leading. Is having a fully articulated screen substandard? It's one of the reasons I bought the R. Is having a sensor dust screen substandard? Simple as this spec is, it is one of the main reasons I bought the R. Perhaps all the other brands that don't have this dust screen are substandard? So, apparently, the areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands over-rides areas that they do as well or better. Maybe, just maybe, some of those Canon trolls you mention are merely pointing out instances where the complainers are unable to articulate their thoughts in a realistic way - confusing fact with opinion. Or ignoring all aspects of a camera and just singling out the areas that they think should be improved.

Your use of the word "ridiculous" when it comes to price is once again just your opinion. If Canon's prices were actually ridiculous to most camera buyers, it seem unlikely that they would lead the world in sales year after year. Arguably, price is the biggest factor when people make purchases. The question isn't always, how is the price compared competitor's similar models. The question, for many is, is the product worth the price? Personally, having bought Canon and Sony FF cameras over the past 7 or 8 years, I am quite happy to pay a higher price for the Canon as I have found them to be superior products in terms of durability, dependability and the quality of various specs. (Sony for example, as has been well documented, has had sensor dust and over-heating issues). In my opinion, one reason Sony cameras are cheaper than the competition, is that they are made cheaper than other brands in many ways.

As an R owner, I compared the R with similar products from other brands. In my opinion, there were more plusses with the R that made me decide to buy it over less expensive Sony or Nikon cameras. Again, comments on forums indicate that most users finds the camera to be better than they thought it would be and are very satisfied. Apparently, this makes us trolls or Canon defenders because we don't agree with you.

It seems to me, that you are prone to the same lack of perspective that afflicts many forum users. "What I want must be what others want. What I think is most important others must think is most important."

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I doubt Canon themselves would be lying about the R5 performance.
Sony a9II 24mp, video 4K 30p, 20 FPS electronic, 10 FPS mechanical, eye AF, Primitive contrast AF, 2 slow SDXC.
Canon R5 45mp +-, video 8K 30p, 4K 120p, 20 FPS electronic, 12 fps mechanical, Eye AF and animal body, head and eye AF, industry leading DPAF in ALL modes including 8K Dual cards including 1 CFExpress.

Sony's best pro is easily outclassed by Canon's advanced enthusiast mirrorless. Even the Canon 1DX MIII easily outclasses the a9II being a DSLR in most every aspect.
Finally Canon has far more lenses for every condition.
Canon does not need Native RF lenses to lead in that ALL EF and EFs are 100% compatible with the RF as if native. And the RF lenses are rapidly coming and are industry leading designs that Sony is incapable of making due to the minuscule lens mount. At least Nikon got that right.
Wow... I am really hesitant to say this: please stop throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.
it did not work. You obviously not an action or sport photographer. Your understanding of action / sport camera requirements is lacking
I get that you like Canon. So do I. But please stop embarrassing yourself as you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sony A9 has “Primitive contrast AF”?
Just what the hell are you smoking?
its all PDAF and fast

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Is it just me, or are the arguments getting more and more ridiculous on this thread? I know that's pretty typical once you get past two or three pages, but it seems like it is getting worse. Maybe it's lockdown frustration.

At this point no one has any clue if the R5 and R6 will be fantastic or not. How about we give it a few months (hopefully) for an actual announcement and reviews and then we can all resume the fighting.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well where is the 7DII replacment, surely madness to not have an AP-C RF mount by 2021. I have ZERO interest in EOS-M system, so don’t let that be the only APPS-C system. Nikon and SOny have APS-C Canon would be foolish not to do the same. EOS-M lens system will always be lame compared to RF. EOS R7 and EOS R5s would be my guess and EOS R1 in 2022 maybe a bit earlier if they can have it ready for Winter Olympics. EOS R9 makes sense for RP replacement.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
I doubt anyone can see beyond the r5 just now with most people running down their existing equipment with a long term view to down sizing due to the economy, the R is a bargain just now that should cover the time till the new bodies drop in price, glad i bought the m50's too, the glass i have is permanent and the bodies are secondary , just my lock down thinking

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon EOS R6
What I really want is better build quality than the EOS R, even if it's by a little
What do you find lacking in the build quality of the R? I've used one for nearly a year, and while there are many things I'd like to see improved, build quality isn't even on the list.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Wow... I am really hesitant to say this: please stop throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.
it did not work. You obviously not an action or sport photographer. Your understanding of action / sport camera requirements is lacking
I get that you like Canon. So do I. But please stop embarrassing yourself as you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sony A9 has “Primitive contrast AF”?
Just what the hell are you smoking?
its all PDAF and fast

Don't get too worked up over his comments. It's pretty obvious that he was just reciting specs without actually using any of those cameras. The A9II and its predecessor are excellent sports cameras, but they do suffer from banding in certain scenarios. The blackout free EVF is a real achievement for mirrorless cameras. Sony's AF is STILL market leading, but Canon is rapidly catching up. I'm personally very excited about the R5; hopefully it'll be released soon so that I can compare it with my experience with Sony cameras.

Upvote 0