SIGMA to make a major RF mount announcement in the near future [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I’ll say right off the top, SIGMA leaks have always been relatively unreliable. I don’t post a lot of SIGMA related rumors because of reliability concerns.
I have been told by more than one unknown source, that SIGMA is readying an announcement that will address their plans for the RF mount.
One of the sources claims that the Canon EOS R5 has “accelerated” SIGMA’s desire to get RF mount lenses to market sometime in 2021.
The same source did say converting current ART series lenses to the RF wasn’t in the cards, and that SIGMA will have a “unique lineup” for the RF mount. I suspect there will be some overlap of focal lengths between the E mount and RF mount lenses.
As always with anything [CR1], please take this with a grain of salt.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
If they do something better Art series, many will stop buying L lenses

A bit of competition is always good
Is Canon now open like Sony to give Sigma what they need with proper communication and software so that the Sigma can have equally good AF? If not I wont buy Sigma glass, no matter how good or cheaper it is. Thats almost just me though, and I wont likley buy more than a 24-105, tele like 100-400 or 70-200, a wide angle and maybe a fast prime. All for video. But yes, competition is always great.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Having Sigma design lenses for RF would be spectacular for Canon users. It will actually help Canon itself (IMHO) since it will help jumpstart people into buying into the RF system from all the other systems or for 1st time users. It will put pressure on Canon to lower (in time) the cost of their great lenses, but the increased volume of sales will easily make up for it for them.

If Canon truly wants to give Sony a real race for the FF mirrorless crown, then this will help it happen. It will certainly help the Canon RF users pick the right lenses for their photo style since there will be additional choices at somewhat lower prices. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
If they do something better Art series, many will stop buying L lenses

I can't imagine AF algorithms are any easier with the Rf mount.

My guess Sigma wants to mount its Cine lenses on RF, a market in which they could do without AF, or maybe start with EF AF in the first version and upgrade to RF AF later.

Canon might be testing 8K on RF stills body before taking it to the pro Cine line, and if Sigma would have proven 8K RF lenses when an RF Cine camera comes out, they'll have a nice lead.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I’m hoping they come out with their own version of an f2 trinity of zooms, at a more reasonable price!

The thing Sigma has always struggled with in their lenses is autofocus performance with DSLR phase detect systems, but they work far better in live view. In my opinion, Sigma optics, build quality and pricing with the reliable on-sensor autofocus of RF bodies would be an absolute WIN, especially if they come out with f2 zooms!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I’m hoping they come out with their own version of an f2 trinity of zooms, at a more reasonable price!

The thing Sigma has always struggled with in their lenses is autofocus performance with DSLR phase detect systems, but they work far better in live view. In my opinion, Sigma optics, build quality and pricing with the reliable on-sensor autofocus of RF bodies would be an absolute WIN, especially if they come out with f2 zooms!
I'd be surprised if they come out with f2 zooms at first. They'd be really big, heavy and expensive and so there won't be a big demand for them. What I can see them doing is coming out with a lot of f2.8 and f4 zooms that will compete on price first, then on size/weight and unique mm ranges, as well as various primes that compete similarly but with faster f# ranges.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Why would Sigma limit themselves with converting E mount to RF mount.
They have the ability to take good advantage of the large diameter of the RF and do some incredible stuff like Canon is doing that will not work with the very small diameter of the E mount. Then they could migrate that to the Nikon mount I would imagine fairly easily seeing as Canon is a bit thicker.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I can't imagine AF algorithms are any easer with the Rf mount. But, YES, Canon needs some competition to keep them innovating, and to keep prices a little more reasonable.

All of my Sigma lenses autofocus flawlessly in Live View and using my EOS R, so it shouldn't be an issue. They were downright unreliable on my DSLRs.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Sigma...we need to talk...you have created some spectacular lenses since the start of your "Global Vision" in 2013. Now that you've gotten autofocus figured out with mirrorless cameras, let's work on the SIZE of your lenses. The 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm are about perfectly sized, but then you completely lost your minds with the 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, and now with your new 35mm f/1.2 and mirrorless 24-70. LOL

Sigma's goal should be to create more compact lenses for the RF system...but, sadly, when we look at their new Sony lenses, I think we're in for a lot more monster lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I highly doubt that people will stop buying L lenses because Sigma decides to move into the R mount. This was never a problem for Canon’s EOS lenses, and it won’t be a problem for them here. People who buy ART lenses either buy them because Canon doesn’t produce that lens, and that‘s what people want, or because they’re cheaper, meaning that people who buy the cheaper lens likely wouldn’t have bought the more expensive L lens anyway. No matter how you slice it, I don’t see more than a small number not buying an L lens because of Sigma.

this will simply expand what’s available in areas that Canon isn’t competing too heavily in. Canon’s new R lenses are state of the art, and Sigma will have a hard time duplicating the quality, both optical and mechanical.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
They have the ability to take good advantage of the large diameter of the RF and do some incredible stuff like Canon is doing that will not work with the very small diameter of the E mount. Then they could migrate that to the Nikon mount I would imagine fairly easily seeing as Canon is a bit thicker.
Yes!:love: If they did a 100% new optical design for the RF mount, with it's wide open 20mm flange distance, then you use the identical optical design with a mere 4mm extension of their barrel so it'd fit the Nikon Z mount with it's wide open 16mm flange distance. And the Leica L mount is exactly 20mm, so that the identical optical design can now be used for the L mount Alliance of Leica/Panasonic/Sigma. That's 1 new series of optical designs to fit 3 of the 4 main FF mirrorless mounts (excluding Sony FE which they're already heavily supporting). Come to think of it, wouldn't they just use their existing L-mount optical designs and add them (& new ones) to fill the RF lens selections? That would be the obvious thing.

I'm sure Sigma would be aware of this, and that's probably exactly their plan.:D

Come to think of it, I always wondered why Canon would choose a 20mm flange distance for their new RF mount when they could have used a shorter one (like Nikon did) to get even more options in lens design with lenses closer to their sensor. Now I think I may have the answer - Maybe they did it to match the L-mount so 20mm flange designs would work for the 3 major flange mounts! Wow. :unsure: :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Where do you read that Sigma is converting E mount to RF mount? Art glass to RF mount it says.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Where do you read that Sigma is converting E mount to RF mount? Art glass to RF mount it says.

It doesn't say it.
Just that at times old crap is recycled and this is a real opportunity for Sigma to really do great things and not worry about the little E mount but look at other mounts that offer far more flexibility to produce modern designs instead of the antiquated limits faced with that little E mount which is even smaller than the Canon M mount.

• Haha
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It doesn't say it.
Just that at times old crap is recycled and this is a real opportunity for Sigma to really do great things and not worry about the little E mount but look at other mounts that offer far more flexibility to produce modern designs instead of the antiquated limits faced with that little E mount which is even smaller than the Canon M mount.
Sigma came up with some native FF E mount optical designs because Sony is the biggest snowball (marketwise) rolling down the hill. But the E mount flange distance is 18mm, so any true (narrow diameter) native E mount specific design could not be directly transferred to the 20mm flange distance of the RF mount unless the last lens poked 2mm further out the back (which may or may not be dangerous), so it might have to be re-designed, anyway. They have lots of wide diameter 20mm flange designs and can make more of them so that it's the only reasonable way I see for them to make lenses for the RF system (and Nikon Z mount and L mount alliance). :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0