Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
Better batteries would be huge, but I will say...I have both yongnuo speedlights and Canon ones, including the 600-EX RT II. Canon is MUCH MUCH MUCH more reliable. I never use the yongnuo (their generic 600 equivalent) lights because I can get 2 shots before they stop firing. The canon can get 4-5. Also, the Canon adjusts color balance perfectly. With the Yonguo, it looked a little on the cool side....I wasn't sure if it was an anomaly, but I didn't care. I had one flash I can trust and rely on and another which was a huge gamble. So I NEVER buy Canon lenses, but I swear by their speedlights. I use them nearly daily photographing my small kids. I use my Yonguo as 2nd, 3rd and 4th flashes when I want to play with off camera flash...but it is tedious waiting for them to recharge for so long after 2 shots...whereas the canon is ready after a second or 2. You can tell just by picking them up. The canon is very heavy, the yongnuo is light as a feather. I haven't used flashpoints yet, but I seriously doubt they are Canon quality/reliability.

I swore off Yongnuo for reliability reasons. But when I started shooting heavily at wedding receptions I was having trouble with my Canon 600RTs overheating. So I finally sold everything and switched to Flashpoint Li-on flashes. Not only is it more reliable, I get more battery life (never ran out), never overheats and maybe best of all I don’t have to deal with AAs.

it’s a great system that Canon could easily surpass if they came out with a Li-on battery flash. But there are two things that will probably keep me from leaving flashpoint: The price ($125 each during the fall sale) and the Flashpoint radio system- from studio strobes to the eVolv 200, which is super powerful yet very compact. You can add more lights of any size or purpose and it all works together.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I must honest and say these days all my speedlite’s and all other off-camera flash lighting are now battery powered Godox units and I’ve been totally thrilled with them since opting for Godox.

They all work off the same wireless controller in fact I often use speedlites as background or rim lighting in conjunction with the higher powered flash units as they fit in places you’d be pushed to get a regular strobe in.

However, for those who just want a speedlite for their camera and prefer body and light to be the same brand then a new 600EX would be a welcome, I guess.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that having an AF assist grid that can actually work with a mirrorless camera would be great! Besides the infrared problems associated with mirrorless, pretty much any lens mounted on an R seems to be blocking the current location of the 600-ex beams.

Or is AF assist only for dSLR's for the foreseeable future?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'll just keep using my 600 RT v1 for many years.
I've got 7 of the originals now, at $150 for a minty boxed one they are great value and 100% reliable in my experience, and I much prefer the way they go in the tall slim pouch as opposed to the newer shorter squarer pouch with the MkII's

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Profoto A1X is the new standard. Round headm, magnets, one battery that recharges. i stopped using all my canon flashes. I had 5 600 rts
Please help me understand how such a small round head is better than a traditional rectangular one? With a larger light modifier shape does matter of course. With such a small one I am not so sure. Thank you

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Please help me understand how such a small round head is better than a traditional rectangular one? With a larger light modifier shape does matter of course. With such a small one I am not so sure. Thank you
I actually like the oval beam pattern you get from speedlites.

Here is a shot from today where I used three 600EX-RT's and one PCB Einstein. The far wall with the armchair was illuminated by a 600EX-RT deliberately placed on its side to get the coverage I wanted and to leave a dimensional element to the shade in that furthest corner. I have to do a little editing to the ceiling but the idea was to mimic and exaggerate the way the natural light falls into the space and the tonality ends up being what defines the space.

48.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes I only dabble in macro so if I were I interested in one of the macro flashes it would have to be the Youngnuo 24ex, against my better judgement but even secondhand the Canon flash is insanely overpriced.

I bought the MT24-EX second hand, €600 in 2011. That was already over the limit I wanted to spend on a single flash, but a pay rise near the end of the outdoor macro season tipped the scales. It was more expensive than my 100mm non-L macro and less expensive than the MP-E.

On one the things I want changed on the MT24 is the size of the controller, it gets in the way in tight spots. The MT26 seems to have improved in that regard, but the Yongnuo would be a step back.

I'll keep my MT24 till it breaks down and evaluate my options at that point. The Godox V860iic + cloth diffuser is giving nice results as well. With the OC-E3 and some velcro I should be able to get the light in the right place at MFD.

What I would really wish for in Canon flashes is a high fps mode. I know recent bodies can use the stroboscoope mode, but a real 14fps burst mode would be awesome. A second long burst would be enough for me, I don't want to wear out the flash in a year.

Upvote 0