The Canon EOS R5 has passed Bluetooth certification

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
ah, there are better applications for BT from a photographer perspective than an audio link of course :)
use case: connect to internet via accessing your phone over BT connection, acquire GPS position from your phone via BT link.

one application I was thinking of: one can remotely trigger a camera (or cameras) connected to internet from miles away, or operate camera, etc.
BT radio consumes as low as 2W only. makes sense?

Two Watts is a lot, the original BTLE spec aims for 0.01–0.50 W. For GPS I really hope it's on the low end of that range.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Yea knowing many wireless standards, the sad part is the BT/BLE is probably the best option regardless. Like mentioned above, the cert is more about being compliant, not about working together with other devices.

There's reason why BT organizes interop events where everyone shows up with their BT devices and tries to work with everyone else. I've been to 4-5 of those events, usually you find really weird bugs. So there's reason to go to those.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Brave man, unless you have additional cameras to use between now and delivery. I decided being without my EOSR for a couple of months was a little too long, especially with the increasing possibility of it being delayed.

I guess it all depends upon whether one is a camera collector or a photographer.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive. I capture images and cameras...
I'd love to do both lol but I'm not that fortunate, especially with the price of these new bodies coming out. If I want the new R5, I'm afraid my R has to be traded in. I'm not rich enough or good enough to warrant carrying around 2 bodies. Wish I was.;)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I'd love to do both lol but I'm not that fortunate, especially with the price of these new bodies coming out. If I want the new R5, I'm afraid my R has to be traded in. I'm not rich enough or good enough to warrant carrying around 2 bodies. Wish I was.;)
I can sympathize. I should mention that I never buy bodies at release price. I wait until the camera reaches a price I am willing to pay. That usually takes about a year and a half and sometimes longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Well, I've just seen the latest no Canon rumours rumor shown on tech radar that the R5 price will be around $6000, something like $10500 Australian dollars. :eek:That's me staying with my EOS R. Way off my price range and my skills don't warrant paying that much lol. I was hoping for between $3500 and $4000 but I shouldn't be surprised at the price with the specs it packs. I will watch and drool but on the plus side, at least all the bugs and issues will be ironed out of it before the price drops closer to my budget.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Well, I've just seen the latest no Canon rumours rumor shown on tech radar that the R5 price will be around $6000, something like $10500 Australian dollars. :eek:That's me staying with my EOS R. Way off my price range and my skills don't warrant paying that much lol. I was hoping for between $3500 and $4000 but I shouldn't be surprised at the price with the specs it packs. I will watch and drool but on the plus side, at least all the bugs and issues will be ironed out of it before the price drops closer to my budget.:ROFLMAO:
do not believe all you read on internet blindly. R5 will be price at around US$3,750.00 RRP at launch in USA. hows is that for a rumour? :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I just checked the site referenced and it has the R5 at AU$200. Did you bother to check the site?

Upvote 0
All I'm waiting on is the price and expected release date...

And this brings that all one step closer. :)

I own some EF-RF adapters now. One way or another there's an RF mount camera in my future. It's just a matter of which one.
I really don't mind if they ship it late, but announce the thing already! Stupid COVID-19 can't affect an announcement.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I just checked the site referenced and it has the R5 at AU$200. Did you bother to check the site?
nah, I knew that the site had already been changed and I know things like this happen, the price may either be as stated or different. As I'm sure like everyone else, the sooner Canon make an announcement the better, even If it is then a delayed delivery. all good fun I suppose. :D

Upvote 0
An announcement won’t tell us everything. We need to have them put the user manual on line now, so we can really know what we will be able to order whenever.
I agree, or how about a brochure that lists the specs, something like Nikon did with the Z6/Z7. That's all I want, I can't buy now. In the Fall, quite possibly.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I really don't mind if they ship it late, but announce the thing already! Stupid COVID-19 can't affect an announcement.

Why? The original intent was to announce it at Photokina which was scheduled for the end of May. They'll announce it at the same time they've been planning to announce it since late last year.

Upvote 0