The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I truly hope they keep making them, some of us aren't interested in EVF's and all that wizardry.
I am confident they will. DSLRs will always be better at some things. Even in a shrinking market, I believe there will be room for at least two full frame bodies as there are likely to always be a substantial percentage of customers that don't want mirrorless and Canon is in the business of selling cameras, not telling people what they should buy. The 1Dx is a very specialized body, so it makes sense that Canon will keep an all-around body available for those who don't like mirrorless.

They need to keep the EF lens line going because it is the only universal mount they have, so it makes sense that they keep a line of cameras available to use the mount natively. Some people just don't care for adapters.

Finally, single lens reflex technology isn't going to sit still. The new thumb focus button on the 1Dx III shows that Canon will continue to innovate with SLRs.

I'm not sure the 6D will survive, but it might if Canon thinks they need an entry-level full frame SLR. Still, I'm pretty sure the 5D will be around for a long time to come.

I thought they might announce the new 5D when they announce they R5, but with all the marketing they have been doing for the R5, I now think they will wait before announcing the 5DV. They don't want one to be overshadowed by the other, when they get a boost out of both.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all, I am very interested to see if Canon will release either a EOS Mark V or a newer mirrorless R model in the middle of 2020? What do you think will release first? And do you think both bodies will be released in year 2020?

IMHO...I'd not hold my breath or put money down on a DSLR 5D5 coming out.....<P>
I think the 5D4 replacement WILL be the R5 mirrorless version. I don't think there will be a 5D5 produced.

At least, that's where I'd put my money down on a bet......

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
IMHO...I'd not hold my breath or put money down on a DSLR 5D5 coming out.....<P>
I think the 5D4 replacement WILL be the R5 mirrorless version. I don't think there will be a 5D5 produced.

At least, that's where I'd put my money down on a bet......

cayenne

I agree with you. Canon is obviously pushing for RF, so I doubt they will make 5D5. Maybe they had it on roadmap earlier, but this point I doubt it'll ever come.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Yeah you're right, just no one here works at Canon. Bummer, right? ;)

could be. But there are lurkers everywhere that probably do have insight, but are unable to say.

In my outsider opinion, I think the top two camera's in the DLSR format, the 1D and the 5D series stay in the lineup alongside their mirrorless equivalents. Have both for those who prefer one or the other.

Makes business sense to me to cater to your customer's needs rather than visa versa.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
could be. But there are lurkers everywhere that probably do have insight, but are unable to say.

In my outsider opinion, I think the top two camera's in the DLSR format, the 1D and the 5D series stay in the lineup alongside their mirrorless equivalents. Have both for those who prefer one or the other.

Makes business sense to me to cater to your customer's needs rather than visa versa.
I still believe that a 5D5 will come out. Similar to 90D/M6ii, it would share the inards of the R5. Makes sense (to me) and completes the APC-S/5D/1D last DLSR versions. The mirror flipping mechanism could come from the 1DXii (maybe limited in speed for less oil splatters), body the same as the current version with sensor/IBIS/computation from the R5. Effectively making it from current parts with minor changes. It would (similar to the 1DXiii) have more features in liveview but provides for better battery from the OVF if needed. I can't see new technology like a hybrid OVF/EVF being implemented but more than happy for Canon to surprise me.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree with you. Canon is obviously pushing for RF, so I doubt they will make 5D5...

These two quotes pretty much sum up the different viewpoints.

One group thinks Canon wants to drive people toward mirrorless technology. Another group thinks Canon just wants to sell cameras and doesn't care if you buy mirrorless or mirrored as long as it has a Canon nameplate on it.

I'm firmly in the second camp. Others are firmly in the first. Only time will tell.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
One group thinks Canon wants to drive people toward mirrorless technology. Another group thinks Canon just wants to sell cameras and doesn't care if you buy mirrorless or mirrored as long as it has a Canon nameplate on it.

I'm firmly in the second camp. Others are firmly in the first. Only time will tell.

And whichever it is that Canon wants, that doesn't necessarily mean that is what will happen. But they should be in position to react to changing realities.

As for me, my current cameras meet my perceived needs quite well, so I don't have any idea of what I would buy next. Besides my DSLR, I use the G5X II for travel. I bought it before my trip in the fall and took 3200 pictures by the time I got back home. I've been quite pleased with it for its purposes. Perhaps if they make more than an incremental improvement to it in a few years, and I am back to traveling, I will consider an upgrade. As for interchangeable-lens bodies. I don't see what would attract me to a newer model. Lenses may be a different story. There are over 70 EF lenses I don't have, though I think I'm pretty well covered now. I rented the 24mm TS-E lens not long ago, and I have the 17mm version right now. They've been fun to mess with and learn how to use, but I don't feel any need to own them for no more use than they would get. Now that I know what I can do with them, I can rent one on occasion and still come out ahead. If a realtor offered me steady work, that calculation would change. I've had better luck with the 24mm lens, but that may say more about me than about the merits of the lenses. And it is hard to predict the timing or content of a GAS attack, I admit. One thing about having a good, pocketable camera is that I feel not need to upgrade my phone to get a better phone camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Tbh I am a little surprised. I honestly thought that with the economic devastation atm that canon would have shelved(or at least substantially delayed) a 5Dv.

Canon has NEVER made an official announcement about a product they will not be selling. It doesn't matter how much a product has been rumored, Canon has not announced they will not make such a cameras or lens. They only make official press releases and announcements about products they have decided to sell.

Case in point: During an interview a while back that ranged on a lot of Nikon products and plans, a Nikon official went on the record that they have no plans to make a successor to the D500. Canon representatives have been comically notorious for several decades for giving near identical canned responses to any questions regarding possible future products that have not been already covered by development announcements or product introductions: "I'm not at liberty to comment on what products the company may choose to offer in the future."

Canon has been totally mum about any possible 7D Mark II replacement. They'll never mention such a camera in any official communication unless they miraculously decide to make it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
These two quotes pretty much sum up the different viewpoints.

Well, one other thing to throw into the mix.

With the pandemic and SO many people losing jobs and economic stagnation (to put it lightly)....the market for higher end cameras may be shrinking even more than before.

So, possibly, Canon might have to make a decision....choose between 5D5 or R5. At this point IF that is the case....since R5 is already close to crossing the finish line to get into the public....which do you think they would choose?

Of course this is all purely conjecture......but economically, this choice of 1vs the other might seriously come into play at this point.

C

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well, one other thing to throw into the mix.

With the pandemic and SO many people losing jobs and economic stagnation (to put it lightly)....the market for higher end cameras may be shrinking even more than before.

So, possibly, Canon might have to make a decision....choose between 5D5 or R5. At this point IF that is the case....since R5 is already close to crossing the finish line to get into the public....which do you think they would choose?

Of course this is all purely conjecture......but economically, this choice of 1vs the other might seriously come into play at this point.

C
Again though, it's all a matter of conjecture and point of view.

I would argue that in a shrinking market, Canon doesn't want to leave any buyers on the table. This would be the worst possible time to abandon the huge chunk of the market that prefers a single lens reflex. It's still a substantial part of the market and many of those buyers are never going to switch to mirrorless.

Which represents more lost profit to the company? Only Canon knows. But, keep in mind that the development costs for a 5DV are likely to be much less than for an R5 and Canon has already sunk a lot costs into the 1Dx III that can be spread out over the larger market of a 5D V.

I think the real body at risk is the mythical R1. It's a purely speculative body with an unproven market. If the R5 is anywhere are good as the hype about it, then the R1 becomes less relevant, as it's success is dependent on convincing the most loyal single lens reflex buyers (1D series) with the biggest investment in EF glass to switch to an untried format.

It's just my opinion, but I think it makes more business sense to release a 5DV which will have guaranteed sales in early 2021 and push off the R1 which has no pre-existing market, until 2022 if they need to conserve resources. (Which none of us knows if they need to do or not.)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Just how far off the 5D4 production line would the Mark5 be? Not very. Tooling and other expenses have been recouped long ago. The 5D5 is a no brainer.

That also depends on how many 5D Mark IV bodies are in existing inventory worldwide. Canon has cut the price for the 5D Mark IV significantly, but they'll still wait until most of those have moved before releasing a successor. In the past it has been fairly obvious at times that they were holding off on releasing a newer version of a lens or body until existing inventories of the predecessor could be liquidated.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That also depends on how many 5D Mark IV bodies are in existing inventory worldwide. Canon has cut the price for the 5D Mark IV significantly, but they'll still wait until most of those have moved before releasing a successor. In the past it has been fairly obvious at times that they were holding off on releasing a newer version of a lens or body until existing inventories of the predecessor could be liquidated.
I'd like to have an example of Canon holding off on a new version while waiting for existing inventory to be liquidated.

I don't believe too many manufacturers these days stockpile much inventory. Canon is a pretty sophisticated manufacturer and I would bet they avoid keeping excess inventory on hand. Retailers may have inventory, but that's not Canon's problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'd like to have an example of Canon holding off on a new version while waiting for existing inventory to be liquidated.

I don't believe too many manufacturers these days stockpile much inventory. Canon is a pretty sophisticated manufacturer and I would bet they avoid keeping excess inventory on hand. Retailers may have inventory, but that's not Canon's problem.

Retailer inventory is a more complex subject than you seem to be aware of. There are often agreements in place that basically allow authorized dealers to swap inventory of an older model for inventory of a newly introduced replacement model at a ratio (say 30 older bodies for 20 of the newer model). There are also sales per time period incentives, much like those used in the new auto retail environment, that affect the final price a dealer pays for a block of inventory. Canon also offers "instant rebates", which are actually structured as discounts/credits on future inventory purchases, to encourage dealers to sell remaining inventory rather than returning it to the regional Canon distribution network (e.g. Canon USA, Canon Hong Kong, etc.). In the end a dealer's inventory of Canon products is somewhere between consignment and outright purchase.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.