Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm just chilling on this. I'm saving money for the inevitable release so don't need to melt my credit card. In the meantime, I'm trying to train my Black Lab puppy so I can take him along on photo adventures. View attachment 190595
Beautiful pup! Dogs can be so wonderful. Cats can be such smug bastards! (No offense to anyone ;) )

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I don't get why the R6 with 20MP sensor is getting diss'd by so many people. At a low price it will be a major hit for Canon, selling more bodies (IMHO) than the R5 and getting more people to jump into the Canon R camp and buy more R lenses making an even bigger contribution.:)

I may be eagerly awaiting the R5, as many on this site probably are, but the average Joe(or Josephine:sneaky:) might just be able to afford the R6 kit. They'll be so happy to have it for all the beautiful video they take, all the beautiful pictures they get, and in the future they might add on something like an affordable RF 85mm f1.8 and they'll be wow'd by the truly beautiful portraits they get. The R6 is going to be as big of a hit as the R5! :geek:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Unless you’ve tried one how do you know? Because Canon dropped a couple of marketing tear sheets. It’s possible that the R5 will be a better video cam than the XT4 but given how much better the XT3 is than Canon’s current offerings I don’t think anyone can say that for sure. What is sure is that I can shoot with the XT4 now and I have no idea when we are likely to see the R5 or what it’s real world performance will be.
But you go ahead and tell me what I’m not the market for if it makes you feel good.

The XT4 is a $1,700 crop sensor body. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that isn't the market being targeted by the R5. If the XT4 does what you need, then why wait? The R5 will likely be at least twice the price.

edit. How far into the 1DX mark III cycle were we before Canon dropped the 20MP shoe. Nearly to the end as I recall. Some folks seem to have forgotten that and whipped themselves into a frenzy over this cam.

Actually, Canon Rumors Guy was telling us it would have a 20mp sensor for quite some time. Many of us didn't believe him, but we can't say it was sprung on us.

The inevitable disappointment won’t be far behind when we get the final specs. Count on it.

You already know that the R5 will be a disappointment and the XT4 has everything you need. Why are you even bothering to post?. Just buy the Fuji and be happy.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?

Obviously the R6 comes as a free attachment to each RF L lens purchased. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks for the update Craig. I published shortly after your post. Looking forward to the invitation from Canon for the June event. My birthday is in July. Will there be an R5 wrapped up for me :love::cool::love::cool: Only time with tell. or will I have to wait months :poop:

oh hey I actually watch your vids on youtube.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I think that the whole "short flange distance will give us better/faster/sharper lenses" hype is technically true but realistically minimal. Considering that the EF 35 f1.4 LII and the EF 85 f1.4 are superb lenses in "old" mounts it seems we are actually seeing just the better designs that experience and technology give us being launched in mirrorless RF mount.
It is hard to find a native mirrorless lens that could not have been made for a mirrored camera.
I hope to be corrected but even the RF 28-70 f2 is still something that could have appeared in EF mount.

Sure, except that'll it'll probably be utterly massive and impractical to take anywhere.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
It's good to have another R5/6 thread, as ... well ... that's all there is for now. :confused: Looks like we may have another month of this kind of thing before we get the remaining R5 info, but at least this keeps it interesting. :unsure:

Regarding lenses, the one thing I'm most interested in is what the weight of the RF 70-135 f2 will be. If it is under 1200g then it'd be somewhat tolerable to carry around and probably be the best portrait lens ever (well, to me as I lean towards zooms). :) But the RF 28-70 f2 was 1430g so that may be overly wishful thinking.

Time for some good coffee while we wait ... :coffee: ... :sneaky:

I've been using the RF 28-70 F2 and its a truly incredible lens. Yes, its pretty big and bulky, but I'd rather have it on my EOS R than having to carry 3 prime lenses (35, 50, 85).

• Love
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Sure, except that'll it'll probably be utterly massive and impractical to take anywhere.

An EF 28-70 f/2 wouldn't be noticeably larger than the RF version because they both cast the same image dimensions.

A marginally shorter flange distance doesn't change physics. f/2 is still f/2 and in fact trickier optics are needed in RF to get the light rays to converge in a shorter distance.

Look at the 24-105 f/4 for a direct comparison; RF and EF are identical in diameter and about 9mm different in length.

RF was a good opportunity to introduce new and faster lens communication but it cannae change the laws of physics, Cap'n.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I'm just chilling on this. I'm saving money for the inevitable release so don't need to melt my credit card. In the meantime, I'm trying to train my Black Lab puppy so I can take him along on photo adventures. View attachment 190595
Snap. Chances of taking the dog / puppy with you when wanting to go on photo adventures, Absolutely none lol. This is the 4th puppy and they all just want to play and run and generally have all the attention. :ROFLMAO: I have to admit, she is a nightmare to take photos of because she is so black but I could spend all day snapping away. :)
9L9A3143.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The R5 is no doubt the flagship for the R series cameras until such time as a R1 arrives. The R6 at 20mp is fine for the majority of landscape photographers. However the R lineup has one serious shortcoming. The R5 is catered well for lenses but the R & R6 are not. The RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM is a good mid point lens as is the RF35 f1.8 macro. The RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 is OK but not a shiny example of optical improvement promised by Canon from a mirrorless mount. Where are the f4 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm? These are staples of many landscape photographers that dont need f2.8 and prefer smaller lenses as a result all are the perfect partners for the R6.
The EOR R although 30mp had a strange control layout Ive never really got used too. It was not a smooth move from the 6D MKI & II. The touch bar was awful and the touch screen for focus far too sensitive and annoying to use (I turn it off).
I hope the R6 is the camera to replace the 6D MKII and the R5 for the 5D MKIV, if they address the f4 zooms then I will be buying both cameras and the f4 zooms. (The R5 will replace my trusty 5DS).

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Unless we are waiting for Godot.
Its funny in the current situation, everyone is wanting to do things they used to do like go out, meet people, go on holiday, just be normal, oh and buy an EOS R5. The anticipation is killing us.

Thinking back on similar times when I've waited for something with great excitement & when the time eventually came to have said item, it was great, the buzz of taking delivery, unboxing and using it for the first time. However, it may just be me but after a few days / weeks, attention soon turns to whatever is replacing said item, or some other news worthy product that may be coming along that grabs my attention.

That's the way of the world we live in I suppose & exactly what manufacturers like Canon, Sony, Apple and Samsung etc want, otherwise they would stop selling new stuff once we'd purchased an item.

I think lockdown is getting to me getting all philosophical. o_O

Bring on the announcement Canon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Its funny in the current situation, everyone is wanting to do things they used to do like go out, meet people, go on holiday, just be normal, oh and buy an EOS R5. The anticipation is killing us.

Thinking back on similar times when I've waited for something with great excitement & when the time eventually came to have said item, it was great, the buzz of taking delivery, unboxing and using it for the first time. However, it may just be me but after a few days / weeks, attention soon turns to whatever is replacing said item, or some other news worthy product that may be coming along that grabs my attention.

That's the way of the world we live in I suppose & exactly what manufacturers like Canon, Sony, Apple and Samsung etc want, otherwise they would stop selling new stuff once we'd purchased an item.

I think lockdown is getting to me getting all philosophical. o_O

Bring on the announcement Canon.
The five stages of acquisition

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
An EF 28-70 f/2 wouldn't be noticeably larger than the RF version because they both cast the same image dimensions.

A marginally shorter flange distance doesn't change physics. f/2 is still f/2 and in fact trickier optics are needed in RF to get the light rays to converge in a shorter distance.

Look at the 24-105 f/4 for a direct comparison; RF and EF are identical in diameter and about 9mm different in length.

RF was a good opportunity to introduce new and faster lens communication but it cannae change the laws of physics, Cap'n.

EF flange distance = 44.00mm
RF flange distance = 20.00mm

Now I don't have a PhD in Mathematics or a degree in optical lens design, but 20mm is ~54% shorter than 44mm. If that's "marginally shorter" to you, then very well. Regardless, I'd take Canon's engineers' word for saying that RF has enabled them to make lenses that are smaller/faster/optically superior than their EF counterparts.

Upvote 0