Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
To be honest much things in the "supposed" R6 doesn´t make too much sense....Maybe they will make sense after the release...or better after we know something more about it. Canon didn´t made yet any announcement on this one but we did had rumored specs shortly after the first R5 rumors...

It's worth remembering that the 6D was almost universally panned on this forum and on review sites. But it was the best selling full frame body for a year or more after it was released and people started using it. Many of us are confused right now because we don't yet know where Canon will slot the R6 in the lineup. Once the full specs and price is known, we'll have a better idea of the target market. Canon seldom makes marketing mistakes, so even if it is a head-scratcher to us after it is released, it will probably be a good seller for Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yet it is perfectly fine for those who only ever post to social media and want FF.

I'm not saying you can't shoot landscapes with a 20mp camera. Certainly there's no megapixel count in the definition of landscape photography. However, in the last-gen FF cameras across all major brands, 20mp is a little bit too little for landscapes... But if your goal is social media only then there's no need in FF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
You could not possible take landscape shots on the R6? Then again you could not on the 6D (20.2MP). Seriously this is plain dumb I used a 6D exclusively for landscape and Ive used the 6D MKII exclusively for landscape. Shot in question taken on the 6D.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 14.35.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 14.35.41.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 144
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Settle down. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world are waiting in agony to learn if their loved ones are going to survive COVID-19.

This post was not necessary and I find this to be your own attempt to try to high horse a random person coming here to just enjoy what we all do here, which is Cameras. I am a Nurse who has been working during these times, and on a COVID unit and I still like to enjoy my photography life by coming onto to these forums to keep my sanity, then I see this pointless post from you trying to act all high and mighty out of nowhere and unrelated to what we are discussing in here. I am glad others on here could see through your poor attempt to try to set yourself higher than someone on here... very low of you

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks, derpderp - Your post makes me want to take a 2nd (or 3rd...) look at the RF 28-70 F2. I had been assuming that the significant weight would be too much for me to want to carry around. Any chance you could talk more about the issues carrying it around, and about what kind of pictures you can get that make the f2 really shine? :D

Happy to share. The RF 28-70 F2 + EOS R is not meant for one-handed operation, unless you have very strong forearms. I have average sized hands, and I cannot fit my hand around the girth of the lens. I have to use the combo with both hands at all times.

So what does that entail for everyday use? I take portraits mostly, and often times in very dimly lit environments, so I really appreciate the F2 aperture. I thought the combo would be too heavy for me to lug around all day, but carrying both the 28-70mm and the 70-200mm has been very easy on my back (as compared to my previous load of 3 portrait primes and the 70-200mm). Ever since I bought the 28-70mm, my prime lenses have been collecting dust at home (and I'll only bring them out if I foresee a VERY dimly lit environment, or if I want a particular 'look'). The 28-70mm performs very well in almost all areas - sharpness, bokeh, color rendition.

Size and weight (and perhaps $$) really are the only drawbacks to this lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You could not possible take landscape shots on the R6?
Currently it's impossible. Guess why... :)

Then again you could not on the 6D (20.2MP).

It's the camera from 2012. It had a very decent megapixel count at the time.
What I'm saying is among modern cameras, 20 megapixels don't make a great deal for landscapes.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Currently it's impossible. Guess why... :)

It's the camera from 2012. It had a very decent megapixel count at the time.
What I'm saying is among modern cameras, 20 megapixels don't make a great deal for landscapes.
A camera is a tool and its only as good as the person that uses it. Good in low light / low noise is what I would be looking for in the R6 i.e. good dynamic range. The 5DS has 50mp but its not particularly a good landscape camera although its great in a studio. Unless your cropping often 45 / 50mp is overkill and the difference between say 20mp and 24mp if you have a good clean 20mp sensor can only be seen by pixel peepers. I can see why birders want high MP and fashion to show off fine detail in clothes etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maybe they are awaiting the possible Sony A7 4 specs before announcing the R6 - which could even be announced later today as Sonyalpharumours mentioned in the past?
Why? They aren't going to change their specs based on a Sony announcement. They couldn't even if they wanted to, but I'm sure they don't want to. Besides, Canon has known what the Sony specs are for months anyway.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
With everyone so excited to get this camera right now in the middle of the pandemic...what would you go shoot if you had it in your hands tomorrow? I'm thinking we would see some really high quality (suspiciously close to 45MP) cat pictures and 8K cat videos with the option to download the RAW footage in case you wanted to review the sharpness of the cat's whiskers. Kind of like what we are seeing out of the C300III right now.

Well, to be fair....not everyone is locked down at home and can still freely move about to take pictures....you just gotta be careful, mask up if around others, etc.

But I'd have to think in areas where you are not locked down....landscape pics would be quite easy to go shoot and by nature of it, be socially distant.

;)

C

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Happy to share. The RF 28-70 F2 + EOS R is not meant for one-handed operation, unless you have very strong forearms. I have average sized hands, and I cannot fit my hand around the girth of the lens. I have to use the combo with both hands at all times.

So what does that entail for everyday use? I take portraits mostly, and often times in very dimly lit environments, so I really appreciate the F2 aperture. I thought the combo would be too heavy for me to lug around all day, but carrying both the 28-70mm and the 70-200mm has been very easy on my back (as compared to my previous load of 3 portrait primes and the 70-200mm). Ever since I bought the 28-70mm, my prime lenses have been collecting dust at home (and I'll only bring them out if I foresee a VERY dimly lit environment, or if I want a particular 'look'). The 28-70mm performs very well in almost all areas - sharpness, bokeh, color rendition.

Size and weight (and perhaps $$) really are the only drawbacks to this lens.
Thanks for sharing. I always take pictures 2 handed, no matter how small & light the camera is, so one handed worries don't exist for me. :cool:

Since you take portraits mostly I assume that you will also get the RF 70-135 f2 when it comes out, correct? When that happens, will you stop carrying your RF(I assume) 70-200 f2.8? Also, will you then mainly use the RF 70-135 f2 for portraits instead of the RF 28-70 f2, or will you find the two f2 zooms to be ideal as the pair you use for portraits across that entire range? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This kind of trolling gets tedious. We get that some people think mirrorless is the end all and be all. Some of us don't. No need to be annoying about it.
I was not trolling at all. I simply expressed what I think reality will be. That you don’t like my speculation is your own problem. BTW: I have never said that mirrorless is the “end all and be all”. I’m simply making a prediction based on the fact that Canon is going to have to trim. The fact that the 7D series seems to be disappearing from websites for order reinforces my opinion in my own mind. Go try and buy a 7D II at Adorama (body only). Don’t like what I think about it? Tough for you. I couldn’t care less. If I’m wrong, so what?

Just like I don't think there will be a 7D Mark III, I don't think there will be a 5D Mark V. That's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough. That ain't trollin', Clem. Stop trolling while accusing others of doing so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not saying you can't shoot landscapes with a 20mp camera. Certainly there's no megapixel count in the definition of landscape photography. However, in the last-gen FF cameras across all major brands, 20mp is a little bit too little for landscapes... But if your goal is social media only then there's no need in FF.
There really is no need of ASPC or anything besides a phone, then.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks for sharing. I always take pictures 2 handed, no matter how small & light the camera is, so one handed worries don't exist for me. :cool:

Since you take portraits mostly I assume that you will also get the RF 70-135 f2 when it comes out, correct? When that happens, will you stop carrying your RF(I assume) 70-200 f2.8? Also, will you then mainly use the RF 70-135 f2 for portraits instead of the RF 28-70 f2, or will you find the two f2 zooms to be ideal as the pair you use for portraits across that entire range? :unsure:

The 70-135 F2 does sound very interesting, but I think i'll be keeping the RF 70-200mm since the extra range is very useful for me. There are times where I simply do need the 200mm since i can't get any nearer to the action. However, I will give the 70-135mm F2 a try before I come to any conclusions.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I was not trolling at all. I simply expressed what I think reality will be. That you don’t like my speculation is your own problem. BTW: I have never said that mirrorless is the “end all and be all”. I’m simply making a prediction based on the fact that Canon is going to have to trim. The fact that the 7D series seems to be disappearing from websites for order reinforces my opinion in my own mind. Go try and buy a 7D II at Adorama (body only). Don’t like what I think about it? Tough for you. I couldn’t care less. If I’m wrong, so what?

[/URL][/URL]

Just like I don't think there will be a 7D Mark III, I don't think there will be a 5D Mark V. That's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough. That ain't trollin', Clem. Stop trolling while accusing others of doing so.
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't dislike your opinion. I could not care less about your opinion.

But, responding to someone's comment with a one word snarky answer that offers no supporting arguments or explanation is not expressing an opinion. It is trolling.

There has been ample discussion on this forum already about the likelihood of a 5DV. I believe logic is on the side of there being a 5DV. I don't find the fate of the 7D, which was always a niche within a niche within a niche to be relevant or compelling.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons logically and civilly with anyone. But, I'm also entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that your response did not further the discussion, but was simply trolling. Frankly it was beneath you. Many times your comments add to the discussion. This did not. And, your subsequent name calling only reflects poorly on you.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't dislike your opinion. I could not care less about your opinion.

But, responding to someone's comment with a one word snarky answer that offers no supporting arguments or explanation is not expressing an opinion. It is trolling.

There has been ample discussion on this forum already about the likelihood of a 5DV. I believe logic is on the side of there being a 5DV. I don't find the fate of the 7D, which was always a niche within a niche within a niche to be relevant or compelling.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons logically and civilly with anyone. But, I'm also entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that your response did not further the discussion, but was simply trolling. Frankly it was beneath you. Many times your comments add to the discussion. This did not. And, your subsequent name calling only reflects poorly on you.
If there was any snark, it was created in your own mind and attributed to me. He asked about when there will be a 5D Mark V. My answer was never. I am not obligated to explain why I think there won't be.

Now the snark: I'll be sure to send you a draft of my answers to questions, for your approval, in the future.

My name calling? I think 'twas you who started that. I think "Clem" is far nicer than "troll". :rolleyes: You've taken my short and concise answer to a very simple question, and twisted that into vile intentions, snark, and animosity you conjured up all on your own. My short answer was meant to keep just such a thing from happening. You twisted it into something it was not, and is not, meant to be. I assume the OP can ask why I think what I think all on his own if he wants to. Heck, even you could have done that. Instead, you decided to take the low road. You even decided, in your own mind, that I thin "mirrorless is the end all to be all". See a pattern? Look in the mirror.

Clem Name Meaning
The meaning of Clem is “Merciful, mild, gentle”.

What started all this for a guy who says he "could not care less" about my opinion:
When 5D Mark V? Please Canon!
Never

Last edited:
Upvote 0