Will the r6 be such an upgrade over the EOS R? [Photography purposes]

Dec 13, 2010
Just asking...

The r6 sounds good, but for photography only people like me...

Will it really be worth it, based on the potential specs? The body... is going to be as weather resilient than the EOS r? And other specs... are they really an upgrade?

Would love opinions from more knowledgable and seasons photogs.

Thanks
“As weather resistant as the R” dear god, I hope not, it better be MUCH better. I thought about the R6 as I’m not into video, but it’s because of the video specs the R5 can shoot 20 x 45mp stills. And 20 mp of the R6 doesn’t seem like all that. If it’s a seriously good sensor that is superior in lowlight then perhaps, but it being a lower model like the 6d, I suspect it’s just lower end specs.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
On paper at least the resolution of the sensor is a significant downgrade from the R (and even a bit of one from the RP). If it's a tradeoff to better performance in some way other than simple resolution, that may be worthwhile to you (a question only you can answer).

Contra Viggo: As I recall the R's weather sealing is actually pretty good, except at the viewfinder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
On paper at least the resolution of the sensor is a significant downgrade from the R (and even a bit of one from the RP). If it's a tradeoff to better performance in some way other than simple resolution, that may be worthwhile to you (a question only you can answer).

Contra Viggo: As I recall the R's weather sealing is actually pretty good, except at the viewfinder.
It might be, but if my car is sealed 100% and my sunroof is missing, I still get really wet in the rain. EVF was the reason mine nearly died..

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
The r^ is equivalent to the 6D, while the R was sitting closer to the 5D. Don't expect it to be better than the R, it will be a lower level body.
People keep saying the R6 is equivalent to a 6D series camera, but I am not yet entirely convinced about that. For example, the R6's resolution, and the fact the rumours are the R6 won't have any top plate display at all, make me question whether the R6 really is a 6D series level camera, or if it will sit a bit lower than that. To me, the original R seems closer a 6D series level. That said, point taken that the R could be seen as sitting a bit higher - and of course the R5/R6 numbering scheme does point towards the R6 sitting at the 6D level.
Anyway, I guess we just have to wait for moreinformation about the R6.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think it will be a better allrounder due to better AF and FPS but it wont be better in the IQ stakes simply due to not having the resolution the R has. It 'may' have better noise performance due to being a newer generation sensor but if you don't need the speed the trade off in MP might not be worth it.

Upvote 0