Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
EF flange distance = 44.00mm
RF flange distance = 20.00mm

Now I don't have a PhD in Mathematics or a degree in optical lens design, but 20mm is ~54% shorter than 44mm. If that's "marginally shorter" to you, then very well. Regardless, I'd take Canon's engineers' word for saying that RF has enabled them to make lenses that are smaller/faster/optically superior than their EF counterparts.

The area where that statement is most true is for lenses with focal lengths which required retrofocus designs with a 44mm registration distance but do not require retrofocus designs with a 20mm registration distance. It also means lenses shorter than 20mm in focal length that do still need retrofocus designs can be smaller, simpler and lighter than lenses with the same focal length that must use a 44mm registration distance, because their focal length is not as far removed from a 20mm registration distance as it would be with a 44mm registration distance. For lenses with focal distances longer than about twice the registration distance of the older 44mm mount, there's no real advantage in terms of lens design. Even some EF lenses longer than about 85mm have the rear lens element recessed several mm inside the rear opening of the lens. At 135mm and longer, all of them do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Wait, I thought there was just one announcement a few months ago, the rest is rumours.

There have been at least two official announcements from Canon. The initial development announcement came in January. Then in March at what was originally planned to be done in conjunction with the NAB convention, there was another official release that was primarily video centric, which is understandable since the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) is all about video.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
20mp is too little by modern standards. I guess most landscape photographers would disagree.

20mp with good low light performance can be good for astroscapes, but it's a niche sub-genre.

Just for context:

The 5D Mark II is a 21 MP camera. It was considered revolutionary when introduced.
The 1D X is an 18 MP camera. It was considered revolutionary when introduced.
The "high resolution" 1Ds Mark III is a 21 MP camera. It was considered "the best" studio/portrait camera in the world when it was introduced.
The APS-H 1D Mark IV is an 16 MP camera. It was considered the best sports camera in the world when it was introduced.
The 1D X Mark II and 1D X Mark III are 20 MP cameras. They're both still used by many full time pros who want the camera that best fits their needs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Currently it's impossible. Guess why... :)

It's the camera from 2012. It had a very decent megapixel count at the time.
What I'm saying is among modern cameras, 20 megapixels don't make a great deal for landscapes.

There's still a lot of great work being done with 20 MP (and less) cameras.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Why? They aren't going to change their specs based on a Sony announcement. They couldn't even if they wanted to, but I'm sure they don't want to. Besides, Canon has known what the Sony specs are for months anyway.

Historically, Canon has almost always preferred to let the competition make an announcement first, and then try to steal their thunder a few days later. It's not about changing specs, it's about marketing and keeping their products on the forefront of buyers' minds on a camera's release date.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Historically, Canon has almost always preferred to let the competition make an announcement first, and then try to steal their thunder a few days later. It's not about changing specs, it's about marketing and keeping their products on the forefront of buyers' minds on a camera's release date.
Sure, I get that. But the OP specifically mentioned Sony specs "...awaiting the possible Sony A7 4 specs before announcing the R6..." I was wondering why someone would think they cared about seeing the Sony specs, since I'm sure they already know them and can't do anything about them at this point anyway. Perhaps I was being too literal with the OP's post.

Upvote 0
Good in low light / low noise is what I would be looking for in the R6 i.e. good dynamic range.

So in terms of landscapes, you're after astro/nightscapes? There's DR at base ISO 100 and there's high-ISO DR. We know very little about the performance of the R6. It's fantastic if they reuse the same sensor as 1DxIII.
However shooting on say 45mp sensor or 61mp sensor and then downsampling to 20mp may produce better (cleaner) results for astro shots than native 20mp.

There's still a lot of great work being done with 20 MP (and less) cameras.

There is. And 8 years ago, 20mp camera was a high resolution camera.
But from the beginning I was talking specifically about latest offers, and specifically for landscape photography, where a 20mp camera looks pale right now.

Upvote 0
There really is no need of ASPC or anything besides a phone, then.

If you're after more 'artistic' landscapes and not travel photography, shooting raw with high DR, interchangeable lens mount and filters will give you more freedom even when your target is Instagram-size images. But then you'll be fine with a 4/3 or a crop sensor camera.

Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA

I'm also in agreement with you. It's simply an opinion but it's my opinion. I don't think there will be another 5D version release.

At the end of the film age people clamored for digital, while a few diehards held onto film. Now for a number of years people clamored for Canon to go mirrorless. Mirrorless came and now a group is still begging to hold onto their mirror slappers.

I love my mirror slapping 5D3. I held off on buying the 5D4 cause I had foresight to think Canon would jump into mirrorless sooner rather than later as the market drug it there. Canon appeased the DSLR crowd producing 3 adapter versions that work very well and don't devalue or make EF lenses obsolete.

If Canon truly means for the R5 to be the 5D equivalent I'm expecting the body to be $3500 US. Placed side by side, R5 vs 5D5, I'd pick the R5 every time. The market will make the decision not any one's personal hope or desire.

It's my speculation that the R was just Canon's attempt to whet people's appetite and that when the serious mirrorless bodies were ready Canon is going full steam. I doubt that the R and Rs are going to be continued in the line and going forward it will be the M series, R5, R6 and the future pro R bodies.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm also in agreement with you. It's simply an opinion but it's my opinion. I don't think there will be another 5D version release.

At the end of the film age people clamored for digital, while a few diehards held onto film. Now for a number of years people clamored for Canon to go mirrorless. Mirrorless came and now a group is still begging to hold onto their mirror slappers.

I love my mirror slapping 5D3. I held off on buying the 5D4 cause I had foresight to think Canon would jump into mirrorless sooner rather than later as the market drug it there. Canon appeased the DSLR crowd producing 3 adapter versions that work very well and don't devalue or make EF lenses obsolete.

If Canon truly means for the R5 to be the 5D equivalent I'm expecting the body to be $3500 US. Placed side by side, R5 vs 5D5, I'd pick the R5 every time. The market will make the decision not any one's personal hope or desire.

It's my speculation that the R was just Canon's attempt to whet people's appetite and that when the serious mirrorless bodies were ready Canon is going full steam. I doubt that the R and Rs are going to be continued in the line and going forward it will be the M series, R5, R6 and the future pro R bodies.
I think you are right about no 5D Mark V. I skipped the 5D Mark IV thinking I'd wait for the 5D Mark V. While DSLRs still do have a place at the moment, I am ecstatic about my R for what I do. I was, at first, ambivalent about mirrorless. For what I do, the eye-AF and also not having to AFMA at all are huge pluses. So is WYSIWYG. If I were a sports shooter or bird shooter, I might have an issue. However, I think the R5 will remedy that.

The ILC market has shrunk and shrunk. Now we are in a heavy economic downturn. In my opinion, there just won't be the sales to keep so many lines alive.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
With everyone so excited to get this camera right now in the middle of the pandemic...what would you go shoot if you had it in your hands tomorrow? I'm thinking we would see some really high quality (suspiciously close to 45MP) cat pictures and 8K cat videos with the option to download the RAW footage in case you wanted to review the sharpness of the cat's whiskers. Kind of like what we are seeing out of the C300III right now.

Plenty of places you can drive to during the pandemic. There isn't a mandatory do not leave the house order in place for much of the US. If you want to take a drive to a state park, you can.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I am sorry but...what a stupid sentence you have made!!! What have anything to do? Am I also the responsible for the hungry in Africa just because me wanting an R5???? Yes I DO passed the agony, YES I DO HAVE BEEN FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS CONFINED IN HOME OUT OF WORK! YES I DO HAVE TO GRIEVE A DEAD OF A FRIEND´S FATHER! I am sorry but I do consider your coment inapropriated and offensive!

I know he deleted that post, but what a myopic statement he made.
It's as if, to him, that Covid is the only disease out there causing grief. Not like there are millions of people helping loved ones go through cancer or heart disease.

I haven't experienced any loved ones or friends go through Covid, but I have watched my parents deal with, suffer from and die from Cancer, but here I am, still waiting for more news on this new exciting camera.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Plenty of places you can drive to during the pandemic. There isn't a mandatory do not leave the house order in place for much of the US. If you want to take a drive to a state park, you can.

I know, it was a joke. Also, really...go to YouTube and look up sample C300III footage, there really is a proliferation of cat videos coming out of that $11K body.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I know, it was a joke. Also, really...go to YouTube and look up sample C300III footage, there really is a proliferation of cat videos coming out of that $11K body.

Hop into a time machine and go back to 1960.

Tell someone that in 2010 ( much less 2020) everyone will have a small device on their belt or in their pocket that gives them access to all of the knowledge of the world.

Wow, amazing!!! What do you do with that?

Watch cat videos.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Hop into a time machine and go back to 1960.

Tell someone that in 2010 ( much less 2020) everyone will have a small device on their belt or in their pocket that gives them access to all of the knowledge of the world.

Wow, amazing!!! What do you do with that?

Watch cat videos.

Watch cat videos? Believable. Make cat videos? Inconceivable!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
New camera bodies are a big waste of money. That is what I have learned from the past.
What have you bought that brought you this opinion? Obviously that's just your impression. But phrased so generally, and on a gear enthusiasts forum like this, I think you're pretty alone with that impression.

Upvote 0