Samyang announces the AF 85mm f/1.4 for the RF mount

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I've had mediocre results with 3rd party lenses and Canon cameras (mainly AF issues). Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have one L lens than 3 cheapos. I'm sure the IQ will be fine with this, but it's the AF I'm worried about, same with future Sigma lenses.
I have the RF 14mm AF and autofocus is fast and very precise
It’s true that a wide angle doesn’t really give justice to the autofocus capability, but I think they are definitely on the right track. On sensor focusing also helps a lot.
I think this 85 1.4 will be great!! Its almost as sharp as the 85 GM

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Finally! Thanks Samyang. Guess Canon was too busy making absurdly priced $3k lenses the past two years to bother with a consumer priced 85 RF that should have been out long ago. Now we just need a 50mm.

Nothing wrong if you want cheap. I prefer to see an actual comparison before I am so quick to judge. I suspect that Samyang's offering is "just okay", but if one cares about quality and performance, Canon is the way to go.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So a Canon made adapter and Canon lens for a Canon system is a never, but 3rd party lenses are a yes. 'Some people' are weird.

A good zinger...but really, I don't know how many off-brand lens users also are finicky about adapters.

At least some of the stated reasons I've heard not to use adapters...wouldn't apply to off brand lenses, so maybe there's quite a few of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I saw a review on the Sony version - decent lens. Is it better than the 85/1.4 IS EF lens though?

A look at the great website
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...ensComp=1168&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
shows that the EF 1.4 lens is much, much better - I think it will perform at f/1.4 with 2 times the linear resolution (4 times the MPix count) compared to the Rokinon if they haven't changed the optics for the RF version. <= THE SONY / RF version has updated optics (Thanks to gzroxas ,below (EDIT)
O.k., it's not RF but: for portrait and video the variable ND adapter might enhance an R5 dramatically so EF mount might help (and maybe interesting for APS-C)
O.k., 800 vs. 1400 bucks IS a difference but the Canon has ImageStabilization which would be great for me to use it maybe on RP or 200D

While I would like the focal length the close focus capabilities of both lenses are similar @ ~1:85 (~0.15) is a no go for ME - maybe a f/1.8 85 1:2 Macro @ 600 EUR would fit in my "prey scheme".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
A look at the great website
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...ensComp=1168&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
shows that the EF 1.4 lens is much, much better - I think it will perform at f/1.4 with 2 times the linear resolution (4 times the MPix count) compared to the Rokinon if they haven't changed the optics for the RF version.
O.k., it's not RF but: for portrait and video the variable ND adapter might enhance an R5 dramatically so EF mount might help (and maybe interesting for APS-C)
O.k., 800 vs. 1400 bucks IS a difference but the Canon has ImageStabilization which would be great for me to use it maybe on RP or 200D

While I would like the focal length the close focus capabilities of both lenses are similar @ ~1:85 (~0.15) is a no go for ME - maybe a f/1.8 85 1:2 Macro @ 600 EUR would fit in my "prey scheme".
You are comparing the wrong lens as the SAMYANG EF 85 1.4 has a different optical formula from this 85 RF which uses the same formula seen in the FE version of the lens. It has 11 elements instead of 9. Not saying it is toe to toe with the EF 85 1.4 IS, since it doesn’t have image stabilization, but this new design has been considered very, very comparable to the Sony GM 85 1.4 which is one of Sony’s sharpest lenses, for less than half the price. I’m honestly really interested! Especially considering the R6 and R5 will have IBIS.

Upvote 0
You are comparing the wrong lens as the SAMYANG EF 85 1.4 has a different optical formula from this 85 RF which uses the same formula seen in the FE version of the lens. It has 11 elements instead of 9. Not saying it is toe to toe with the EF 85 1.4 IS, since it doesn’t have image stabilization, but this new design has been considered very, very comparable to the Sony GM 85 1.4 which is one of Sony’s sharpest lenses, for less than half the price. I’m honestly really interested! Especially considering the R6 and R5 will have IBIS.
Thanks for clarification!

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I would hope not, the CA is strong on this one.

Yes, it is. The 85mm f/1.8 is otherwise good, and CA can be fixed in post processing.

My money is on Canon making consumer primes for the RF mount. I think Canon would make consumer primes in the RF mount because it can easily adapt existing EF primes. I hope it would make new & improved consumer primes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, it is. The 85mm f/1.8 is otherwise good, and CA can be fixed in post processing.

Yes, DPP4+DLO works wonders on the Canon EF85 f/1.8 (or any EF non-L f/1.8). I have rented the RF85 f/1.2 in the past and that one has virtually no CA. And since we've entered the sunny season here, I'm starting to see places were DPP4 cleaned up the CA, but couldn't get completely rid of it. So I'm hoping for a big improvement in CA performance and a slight improvement in sharpness.

My money is on Canon making consumer primes for the RF mount. I think Canon would make consumer primes in the RF mount because it can easily adapt existing EF primes. I hope it would make new & improved consumer primes.

I really hope the rumoured RF85 f/1.8 IS STM keeps the internal focus of the EF85 f/1.8, externally focussing lenses don't inspire confidence, unless they are built like the MP-E65 :)

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Don’t know if it’s a big deal, but if that’s the lens, it appears they won’t be taking advantage of control ring tech? Wonder if this announcement will expedite a Canon 85 1.4 or 1.8 non-L?
It doesn't have Canon control ring because this is the exact same lens they already make for the Sony E mount, which does not have Canon control ring.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Of course they do, the R&D and tooling costs were long since amortised. It's nearly 30 years old.
Glad you said that - I was thinking it also. People often forget the R&D costs and initial tooling that goes into manufacturing a lens, camera, or anything else really (including medicine, but that's probably not for this forum). It is a fixed cost, and is spread over the sales of multiple units, so that a portion of every camera and lens sold, at least for an initial period, is used to pay for those costs. Like you said, the 85/1.8 is well past that stage and can be sold for basically the cost of manufacturing plus a little profit.

Upvote 0